Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer

darksabre

I'll be at work tonight, don't trust myself to try and catch the live stream. Might have to answer some uncomfortable questions as to why I'm tearing up.

All those who will be watching, enjoy. I may try and catch up to it later. Then again, I may just have to satisfy myself with the memories Gord and the boys have already supplied me with.

Jo isn't a fan either. I'm thankful she's letting me watch this on a Saturday night.

I don't mind their music.  I don't know if that is a typical live performance or if it is a product of his illness, but I couldn't listen.

I get it if you are a super fan though.

I don't mind their music. I don't know if that is a typical live performance or if it is a product of his illness, but I couldn't listen.

I get it if you are a super fan though.

I think sometimes live performances don't translate. I've listened to a lot of Hip bootlegs and live cuts and this broadcast is falling short of those old recordings.

That said, Gord isn't exactly the best singer. I think he started off a little rough tonight. He's gotten better as the show has gone on.

Jo isn't a fan either. I'm thankful she's letting me watch this on a Saturday night.

Haha you make it sound like I keep you in a dungeon, deprived of Canadian music. 

Just not a fan. I'd never heard of them until a good year or so into dating d4rk. And I'll get yelled at for this, but I just don't... like them. I guess it's one of those things, if you're brought up listening to them, you love 'em. I feel that way about Harry Chapin or Gordon Lightfoot, but I'm sure many others would go "eh, what's so special".   

So hey, enjoy, I'm glad everyone's having a moment together. 

Haha you make it sound like I keep you in a dungeon, deprived of Canadian music. 

Just not a fan. I'd never heard of them until a good year or so into dating d4rk. And I'll get yelled at for this, but I just don't... like them. I guess it's one of those things, if you're brought up listening to them, you love 'em. I feel that way about Harry Chapin or Gordon Lightfoot, but I'm sure many others would go "eh, what's so special".   

Gordon Lightfoot  :wub:

I think, and I say this without judgement and knowing full well how pretentious it sounds, that unless you connected with them early, you've really never heard them if you haven't heard them live. D4rk and others played them for me many times before, but when I saw them at the Outer Harbor concert a few years ago that got rained out it just clicked. I bought tickets because of Grace Potter, other friends were going for the Hip but they were a side bet for me. But that night, in that pouring rain, I became a fan. Gord just had a way of connecting with an audience that I've never felt before or since.

Our time was too short. I thought we had forever. Thank you, while it lasted.

That was great. Why can't concerts be streamed like that all the time? I'd pay to watch concert streams on YouTube.

Austin City Limits, man. That is the truth.

Edited by sabills

I think, and I say this without judgement and knowing full well how pretentious it sounds, that unless you connected with them early, you've really never heard them if you haven't heard them live. D4rk and others played them for me many times before, but when I saw them at the Outer Harbor concert a few years ago that got rained out it just clicked. I bought tickets because of Grace Potter, other friends were going for the Hip but they were a side bet for me. But that night, in that pouring rain, I became a fan. Gord just had a way of connecting with an audience that I've never felt before or since.

Austin City Limits, man. That ###### is the truth.

I was thinking about Austin City Limits tonight. This is exactly what it reminded me of. Used to watch that with my dad all the time when I was a kid.

Should not have gone to the community party.

Too many people not connected to the music, couldn't see the screen in the sun wasn't loud enough.

But goddam if the last three songs didn't make it all worth it.

The song right before the last encore was a special moment. Pretty intense. I don't want to say they should have ended it there, and I understand why they couldn't, but,…

Austin City Limits, man. That ###### is the truth.

Have to agree, seeing the Hip live in person is a transforming experience. Gord is a front man like no other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.