2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

I like them just fine, but I'm ready for something new.

I wouldn't mind the Stars or Sharks going to the Cup, but other than that, at least Chicago is fun to watch

I'm going to go with "ignored" rather than "missed" ;)

Incompetence or mallice? Edited by WildCard

Kane was great there and Toews....well he was just parked solidly in front as close to Crawford as legally allowed and ended up tying up 2 defenseman while Kane circled the net. Jack and Samson anyone? We can only hope they end up as clutch as these 2.

Easy on that stuff, my man.

I gotta tough it out on ibuprofen until I drive home from my appt this morning. This ssssuuuuuucks.

I fell asleep before overtime, bummed that the Blackhawks won.  I love him, but Steve Ott isn't even as good as Legwand anymore.

The guy that Kane punchiscized 3 times in the had a nice move to score the game winner for Florida last night.

In the crazy but potentially true category, does there come a point where the Pens realize they are better without Malkin, with how this team is constructed? Absolutely rolling without him, he comes back and they look pretty terrible. It's only been two games this playoffs, but, this regular season:

Penguins Goals Per Game

With Malkin: 2.69

Without Malkin: 3.54

It's a 26 game sample size, so not tiny. But their are some mitigating factors such as the coaching change taking place.

Doh!! :blush:

Tjey know they're done next round anyhow

Not so sure about that, playing in the Atlantic.

I like them just fine, but I'm ready for something new.

I am 100% ready for something new. I'm getting bored with Chicago being there time and time again.

Comes up big in the playoffs and manufactures his own goal ;)

Maybe if Toews and Kane showed up the first four games of the series, they wouldn't be down 3-2.

Ya. I mean, they haven't been clutch, if that even exists (looking at you, True). They've been nearly invisible. Great play by Kane on the goal, and maybe they'll turn it around. But the two of them have been a disappointment thus far this series.

But I'm sure being down 2 to St. Louis will again mean nothing and they'll go on their usual march to the final. Not sarcasm, it's gonna happen.

I've only seen game 5 of the series, but Toews looked dangerous.  I saw him hit the post at least twice last night (I fell asleep after regulation).

He's had moments where he's looked dangerous, particularly yesterday. But on the whole he's not been up to his usual antics. Rather in line with his regular season, this year.

For the series they have been mostly held down but the play last night with their season on the line was clutch. Those two have a history of clutch plays in the playoffs. Kane is 3rd in NHL history with 5 ot goals in the playoffs. Is that not clutch?

For the series they have been mostly held down but the play last night with their season on the line was clutch. Those two have a history of clutch plays in the playoffs. Kane is 3rd in NHL history with 5 ot goals in the playoffs. Is that not clutch?

TrueBlue would say that's not clutch, that's just what Patrick Kane does all the time.

Maybe everybody's clutch. Maybe nobody is.

Maybe Drew Stafford is the only clutch player in the universe.

Maybe Drew Stafford, and all of us for that matter, are a projection of your consciousness and a figment of your imagination. Down the rabbit hole.

TrueBlue would say that's not clutch, that's just what Patrick Kane does all the time.

The best definition I've heard of clutch -- and it's one that's sort of been cobbled together from various sources (including from posters here) -- is that it refers to doing what you ordinarily and normally do under high-stakes and high-pressure situations. It's not elevating your game; it's maintaining your game.

Yup, and agreed.

A good point.

You were just saying they had been held down the whole series so breaking free and scoring the game winner in OT of the Stanley Cup playoffs is indeed clutch and nobody else was clutch in regulation or OT or else Kane could not have been.

Clutch or not he and Toews came through with their season on the line. I'm not banging the drum for the Hawks more so looking forward to that type of play from the Sabres in the future.

The best definition I've heard of clutch -- and it's one that's sort of been cobbled together from various sources (including from posters here) -- is that it refers to doing what you ordinarily and normally do under high-stakes and high-pressure situations. It's not elevating your game; it's maintaining your game.

This is a reasonable explanation of what i believe clutch to be as well, thank you Edited by Murray's Rats

You were just saying they had been held down the whole series so breaking free and scoring the game winner in OT of the Stanley Cup playoffs is indeed clutch and nobody else was clutch in regulation or OT or else Kane could not have been.

Clutch or not he and Toews came through with their season on the line. I'm not banging the drum for the Hawks more so looking forward to that type of play from the Sabres in the future.

But if Kane was being held down all series, and finally came through for a goal, that's not clutch. That inadequate performance, followed by an eventual stroke of brilliance. I like Smell's definition. It's maintaining your great play. Not disappearing and occasionally reappearing.

A player that talented is always eventually going to put something together, given enough time. That's not clutch, it's the law of averages.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.