2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

But if Kane was being held down all series, and finally came through for a goal, that's not clutch. That inadequate performance, followed by an eventual stroke of brilliance. I like Smell's definition. It's maintaining your great play. Not disappearing and occasionally reappearing.

A player that talented is always eventually going to put something together, given enough time. That's not clutch, it's the law of averages.

Game and series on the line, Kane and Toews did a little maintenance and saved the Hawks season for atleast 1 more game.

Game and series on the line, Kane and Toews did a little maintenance and saved the Hawks season for atleast 1 more game.

Yes. But it was only on the line in part because they hadn't been performing before that point. In this playoffs, so far, give me Tarasenko, who's been performing all along.

That's "clutch", if it exists at all.

But if Kane was being held down all series, and finally came through for a goal, that's not clutch. That inadequate performance, followed by an eventual stroke of brilliance. I like Smell's definition. It's maintaining your great play. Not disappearing and occasionally reappearing.

A player that talented is always eventually going to put something together, given enough time. That's not clutch, it's the law of averages.

Meh.  Every great player gets shutdown once in awhile.  Teams deploy a new strategy on defending and sometimes it is effective.  A few games down and then to figure out a way around it is what talent is all about.  Sure, it's nice to not ever be shut down but that rarely happens.

1 It's the playoffs, the checking is tighter

2 the Blues are in their window which keeps getting slammed in their face year after year by the Hawks so increased urgency when checking the other teams best players is mandatory

Meh. Every great player gets shutdown once in awhile. Teams deploy a new strategy on defending and sometimes it is effective. A few games down and then to figure out a way around it is what talent is all about. Sure, it's nice to not ever be shut down but that rarely happens.

That's kind of the point about clutch vs talent. Being shut down for a few games didn't make them chokers any more than scoring a big goal makes them clutch. Just great talent inevitably breaking through.

That's kind of the point about clutch vs talent. Being shut down for a few games didn't make them chokers any more than scoring a big goal makes them clutch. Just great talent inevitably breaking through.

Exactly.

I'm not arguing he's not a great player. But this "clutch" business seems suspect. Perform or do not perform. There is no clutch. Is Kane more clutch than Tarasenko this year because his 1 goal came in OT, and Tarasenko's 3 did not?

As for Kane, I'll agree with True, eye test. The numbers back that up somewhat, before OT yesterday he had 0 goals, and 3/5 assists were secondary. He usually impacts the game in a much greater way.

And Mr. Best player in the world has zero goals and 3 assists. Not terrible, but I fully expect that when he scores the game winner tomorrow he'll be further anointed as the best and most clutch player playing today.

Edited by Thorny

aaaand Panthers.

Ekblad, Jagr, Lu, Campbell

SiHUB7t.jpg

These are cool, I know ur doing playoff teams but have u done any current Sabres?

Gotta give Flyers credit, hate to but they have pulled their together and gotten stellar goaltending to grab the last 2 games.

Edited by Murray's Rats

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.