2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

Well, wait a second. I'm not entirely sure about that. The Buffalo market's watching these games in significant numbers, yes? 

I'm not saying that makes them (us) fans of the NHL.

I don't think I went about making my point very well. All I'm trying to get at is I think the NHL is more team-in-market sensitive than other sports; put differently, ratings are more deeply connected to the team than to the league. Maybe Buffalo is just an exception? I'll be really curious to see the Buffalo ratings for other NHL playoffs games if we make the playoffs next year. My guess is we'd see a spike in viewership.

I don't think I went about making my point very well. All I'm trying to get at is I think the NHL is more team-in-market sensitive than other sports; put differently, ratings are more deeply connected to the team than to the league. Maybe Buffalo is just an exception? I'll be really curious to see the Buffalo ratings for other NHL playoffs games if we make the playoffs next year. My guess is we'd see a spike in viewership.

Not to disagree with you but baseball is pretty much the same way. Football and basketball are the only sports that mass markets its players. Chances are Crosby, Ovie can walk down the streets of most American cities and nobody would recognize them, Brady, Lebron, Manning, Durant..... not so much

All this talk about the NHL making the product better. Well of course they could, but why bother? Do you think McDonald's execs are sitting around saying, "About this Big Mac. It could be a better burger, ya know." Bad analogy, maybe.

Good timing for this post, McDonald's just announced a limited test if Big Macs. There's a larger one and a smaller single patty one being tested.

Not to anyone in particuliar...

This is a thread about the 1st round of the playoffs and the Sabres are not participating yet their fans are still watching and invested in the games on the ice. Safe to say that most here have some ideas on what would make a better product but that doesn't stop them from watching, IMO it's the old guard holding it back and keeping the league from evolving. Are we not fans of the NHL?

Edited by Murray's Rats

I try to do the same, but I find it hard to believe a group of trained professionals can be that incompetent.

Trained at what? Dog obedience?

It's the same reason the NFL puts out the shittiest product imaginable and rake in billions every year. They're so entrenched nothing can compete with them

I don't agree with this at all. The NFL has its issues but it's a made for TV sport. The colors, athleticism, catering to passing, it just work in the HD TV era.

Hockey? Where do I start? Most casual fans can barely track the puck.

I know I'm supposed to like Detroit's jerseys because, ya know, Original Six 'n' all, but I just think they're boring. And when they play another monochromatic team like Tampa, blech. It looks like a video game from twenty years ago.

I know I'm supposed to like Detroit's jerseys because, ya know, Original Six 'n' all, but I just think they're boring. And when they play another monochromatic team like Tampa, blech. It looks like a video game from twenty years ago.

I'll type this as I'm sitting in my home Datsyuk jersey.... 

I don't like Detroit's aways that well. But I like TBL vs DET colors because it's bubble hockey! And fu** the leafs! 

I also refuse to accept that I may be watching the last minutes of Pavel Datsyuk's NHL career... 

.... well, fu*k. 

I'll type this as I'm sitting in my home Datsyuk jersey.... 

I don't like Detroit's aways that well. But I like TBL vs DET colors because it's bubble hockey! And fu** the leafs! 

I also refuse to accept that I may be watching the last minutes of Pavel Datsyuk's NHL career... 

.... well, fu*k. 

Just realized this too. Crazy.

Wellp.

I guess I'm not ashamed to admit I'm sobbing a little. I'm sorry to see Datsyuk go, and in such an anticlimactic fashion. The man is held together with tendons taken from cadavers and glue and tape, I swear. I think I would've rather he left when Babcock left. A lackluster year full of injury with a different coach, and a near sweep loss in round 1... I would've hoped for better for the Magic Man. But he truly was amazing and inspirational (overlooking some less tolerant comments around the olympics), and I'm glad I got to root for him. And I'm also glad he played his full career in one place. 

But who knows, maybe he'll surprise us with a Selanne style comeback! 

And now, back to my usual playoffs anyone-but-tampa rooting. 

Trained at what? Dog obedience?

I don't agree with this at all. The NFL has its issues but it's a made for TV sport. The colors, athleticism, catering to passing, it just work in the HD TV era.

Hockey? Where do I start? Most casual fans can barely track the puck.

Hockey is more athletic, has better jerseys, and it's easier to track the puck on modern tv.

Tell me why an NFL rival league doesn't succeed.

Ink, I can't stand the NFL.  This goes back at least 15 years.  10 minutes of action in three hours.  If Buffalo didn't have a team, I wouldn't watch a game until the playoffs.  And I still don't watch other than Bills games, even though I am in a fantasy football league.

I will miss Pavel Datsyuk. Only two other players made me shake my head in astonishment as many times as him ...Perreault and Lemieux. Mainly because he never had overwhelming physical presence. Just an uncanny knack of making the right play at the right time. Good luck Pavel, and thanks.

My pain pills ran out and today was horrible. The nurses at the office were no help whatsoever. Then my mom found some narcotics that she had been prescribed ages ago for something else. Success! Pain no longer so bad I can't do anything! But I can't drive now, so I get to lay around high with my mom watching hockey. Pretty great.

I never rooted for the wings until they got scored on late. Then I finally felt a little bit of empathy. It was fun to watch Datsyuk go through the handshake line. He's one of the greats, and he'll always be one of my favorote players.

My pain pills ran out and today was horrible. The nurses at the office were no help whatsoever. Then my mom found some narcotics that she had been prescribed ages ago for something else. Success! Pain no longer so bad I can't do anything! But I can't drive now, so I get to lay around high with my mom watching hockey. Pretty great.

I never rooted for the wings until they got scored on late. Then I finally felt a little bit of empathy. It was fun to watch Datsyuk go through the handshake line. He's one of the greats, and he'll always be one of my favorote players.

Easy on that stuff, my man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.