2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

Ftr, I never said "they should NOT DO THIS FOR ANYTHING ELSE". They just don't do it for anything else.

If the challenge went away tomorrow I wouldn'tcare, but they decided that they wanted to make sure they got right things that directly lead to goals. It's making some of you apoplectic. I'm okay with it.

So you're more inclined to say something because of our over-the-top reactions than because of how strongly you feel about how the NHL calls its rules, that's fair. I would be embarrassed by how much I care about a game, to get all uptight like this about something that has no bearing on my team, but I'm on a hockey forum with other people who are the same way haha

My argument just lies in the fact that that play, and 99.9% of the other ones that get reversed, don't directly lead to the goals, any more than so many other things that you aren't allowed to challenge. They're plays like Letehra's skate, or Gionta's body hovering over the line, half a leg in the neutral zone, skate blade a quarter inch past the blue line, where he never touches the puck at all and it's in a second later. I can't see how you can watch that and not have an immediate reaction that questions why it's so specific, arbitrary, what you can and can't do to get a call right. It's not inherently more correct when they catch an offsides after the fact than it would be when any other random rule violation correction based off of a review. So when you can't double check a key power play late in a game, or anything else, but can let a series turn the way we just saw, it gets people upset. 

She very easily could have killed that guy. Are you obligated to share that info with the police?

Absolutley, I am a mandated reporter, even if that doesn't mean I have to disclose, I sure as he was telling them anyways. They were informed, and I am sure she was charged with something with a statement from me. They took my statement and I haven't heard anything since, so I assume they got her to admit, I can't believe she would tell me that.

So you're more inclined to say something because of our over-the-top reactions than because of how strongly you feel about how the NHL calls its rules, that's fair. I would be embarrassed by how much I care about a game, to get all uptight like this about something that has no bearing on my team, but I'm on a hockey forum with other people who are the same way haha

My argument just lies in the fact that that play, and 99.9% of the other ones that get reversed, don't directly lead to the goals, any more than so many other things that you aren't allowed to challenge. They're plays like Letehra's skate, or Gionta's body hovering over the line, half a leg in the neutral zone, skate blade a quarter inch past the blue line, where he never touches the puck at all and it's in a second later. I can't see how you can watch that and not have an immediate reaction that questions why it's so specific, arbitrary, what you can and can't do to get a call right. It's not inherently more correct when they catch an offsides after the fact than it would be when any other random rule violation correction based off of a review. So when you can't double check a key power play late in a game, or anything else, but can let a series turn the way we just saw, it gets people upset.

I'm guessing a we are not going to be able to argue about this rule for too long.

I'm just about done anyway, haha. Do you mean that you think they're going to change something during the offseason? I have no idea how the rule is perceived outside of Sabrespace

Everything I've seen from national writers says that it's not a good thing.  From just a TV point of view, it's brutal to see 5 minutes wasted while refs hold a gameboy to determine if a goal stands or not.  Even funnier was that there was a review from Toronto that was then challenged again by Hitch.  Imagine if they overturned it after they said it was okay?  I don't know all the rules for this, but it sounds like Toronto can ask for a review, but then a coach can as well.  Why would that be possible?  It's clumsy, it slows things down. 

Absolutley, I am a mandated reporter, even if that doesn't mean I have to disclose, I sure as he was telling them anyways. They were informed, and I am sure she was charged with something with a statement from me. They took my statement and I haven't heard anything since, so I assume they got her to admit, I can't believe she would tell me that.

Guessing she didn't understand the lines of communication. I might not have either.

Abdelkader needs to be suspended. As a person that loves to see fighting stay in the game, there is no place for somebody to start pounding an unsuspecting player, on the ice, from behind. That is a bitch move. Old school hockey players would never do that, they would only fight players, who both agreed to fight, and do it face to face. He's been pulling this crap all year and getting away with it.

I'm a bit behind, recorded that game so I could watch the Panthers win. 

I just watched 2 minutes of hockey take a half an hour, and in every other year it's 2-2 right now.

This is just annoying, right or wrong, it's not worth it

Right there with you. Except I went to bed. I hate the goal challenge system. I really really do.

They aren't fixing missed calls, they are fixing things that were imperceptible to the human eye in real time. In a quest to get it "right", they are making so much wrong. It's not a worthy persuit, to my mind.

Amen I say Amen.

On a side note, I watched a compilation of some pretty bad road rage videos today, man that stuff is unreal.

97% of the time if I see an accident, either It occured or I see one on the road and police are there, I stop to offer my services (as I am almost always in my scrubs) one time I stopped in Hamburg for a crotch rocket/car collision.... While picking glass out of the driver of the car, she told me that the guy on the bike was driving like an @ss so she purposely cut him off causing the crash. He broke his femur and had a concussion, plus whatever injuries occured internally that I couldn't see.

Sad world.

I digress, that game was awesome and then sucked.

I was driving and watched this crazy episode once. This croch rocket was tail gating this car real bad and the car started stopping hard and the biker was playing chicken with it. They got to the light and he was shining his headlight right into their side mirror and after they got going the car timed it right and slammed on their brakes and smash! Dude was laying in the road as I drove up. "They slammed on their brakes" he cried. I asked if he was ok and he said yes so I drove off. I think of that idiot often. Those are the people we share the road with.

Yes, Chicago got lucky. Keith's goal was after a pretty lame icing call. Hate the review. Like SDS idea of looking at it at real time speed.

Curious.

I like both of them. Maybe its purely an aural thing. They both have some nice pipes.

Cue Ink in 3..2..1..

The reason to hate Clement is that he put the dagger in the Sabres in Game Six in 1975.

Damn rubber rats....

So the league that is such a stickler about a play being 1/4 inch offside just lets that go, no penalty on the Panthers? After penalizing them twice in a critical late season game? Even if you can't score two goals in 10 seconds (you can) it's just the principle of it. Now maybe the fans throw rats with 20 seconds left in Game after the Panthers take the lead, and then what? A penalty? How is that fair? Damn garage league.

There are so many non-icing calls where the player doesn't technically hit the red line, but the dump in is in the spirit of the rule is there so the refs let it go, where if they were to call those they could easily change the course of a game, because leaving tired players out affect the game a lot more than that inch of space between Letehra's foot and the ice does. Before this rule, that play is onside 100 times out of 100, because of the same type of laxness. That's so ###### ######.

Outstanding point. Hell, guys get like a three-foot leeway on gaining the red line.

###### this league. ###### every last thing about this piece of ###### product. ###### their challenges, ###### their ads, ###### their lottery, ###### their refs, ###### their schedule, ###### their Calder, and ###### their fat ###### ass eating piece of monkey ###### licking cok fridge that is their commissioner. ###### them, ###### them all. Ruining the ###### sport

No ###### the Hawks score now. ###### the worlds biggest dick Bettman. I'll be waiting in hell for you to queue up and add some more for you you ######tard

Careful, buddy. It went to a vote of the Board of Governors, including your beloved, precious, magnanimous TPegs, and it was approved. (If you ever get a chance to queue up on Terry, let me know. I will join you.)

Offsides should only be reviewed at full speed. If you can't determine if it's offsides at full speed then it's too close to call.

I like this. Would you want to be a really tough monkey and allow only one look at it?

One more comment on the goal challenges. I'm starting to wonder if the reason the league likes the challenge is because it gets people riled up. Everyone's glued to the TV, arguing this way or that, going to social media and loving it or hating, and it's still going on the next morning. If you can't give your fans an entertaining product, give them some side garbage. It makes the games "stickier" for the customers. Play ref. Fun wow.

They may have but as a long suffering fan, I can only enjoy other fanbase's misery. Schadenfreude.

Now they play prison sex. I want to kiss their music guy.

Love tool :D

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-abdelkader-wails-blunden-incites-line-brawl/

that next game is going to be ugly :D

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-zetterberg-picks-datsyuks-teeth-off-ice/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-palat-takes-hard-hit-boards-dekeyser/?row=0&row_id=1617477

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-larkin-busts-drouin-open-open-ice-hit/?row=0&row_id=1617477

that hit seems a bit late to me though.

So the league that is such a stickler about a play being 1/4 inch offside just lets that go, no penalty on the Panthers? After penalizing them twice in a critical late season game? Even if you can't score two goals in 10 seconds (you can) it's just the principle of it. Now maybe the fans throw rats with 20 seconds left in Game after the Panthers take the lead, and then what? A penalty? How is that fair? Damn garage league.

Should they start handing out penalties for throwing hats on the ice? 

Should they start handing out penalties for throwing hats on the ice? 

That's a longstanding tradition throughout the league, over decades. It's been adjudicated. They can't throw rats on the ice, live or otherwise. It's a penalty and should be called. Except when it isn't. But other refs would have. These little officiating fiefdoms have to be destroyed.

That's a longstanding tradition throughout the league, over decades. It's been adjudicated. They can't throw rats on the ice, live or otherwise. It's a penalty and should be called. Except when it isn't. But other refs would have. These little officiating fiefdoms have to be destroyed.

So you want to draw a line for a team tradition that's been around for 20 years.

Drawing a line of when we run into problems. It's either all or nothing. I don't see penalties called in Detroit for octopi.

One more comment on the goal challenges. I'm starting to wonder if the reason the league likes the challenge is because it gets people riled up. Everyone's glued to the TV, arguing this way or that, going to social media and loving it or hating, and it's still going on the next morning. If you can't give your fans an entertaining product, give them some side garbage. It makes the games "stickier" for the customers. Play ref. Fun wow.

Creative thinking, but I'm confident that the reason it got passed is because the producers of the game (front office types and coaches) want more than anything "to get it right" (because it is intolerable for error to derail their best laid plans). Consumers of the game, meanwhile, have grown weary of these interminable delays and momentum draining reviews. The league is tone deaf to such concerns, at least so far on this issue.

It's much the same in the NFL. Didja hear Rex say he wants more challenges and ALL plays reviewable?

Maybe we should have a different thread to discuss rules?

Big win for the Preds last night over the Ducks in the late, late game.  The Ducks had the best record in the West, but the Central Division was clearly stronger and the Ducks led the league in both PK and PP, but weren't terribly effective 5-on-5.  This should be an interesting series.

Maybe we should have a different thread to discuss rules?

Big win for the Preds last night over the Ducks in the late, late game. The Ducks had the best record in the West, but the Central Division was clearly stronger and the Ducks led the league in both PK and PP, but weren't terribly effective 5-on-5. This should be an interesting series.

By west you mean Pacific division, right? Stars and Blues had better records I thought

I think all 3 Central division teams had better records.

@PA, did TP vote for the challenge?

I won't forgive them if ads come to the jerseys

I think it was near-unanimous, so I am assuming so. Terrible assumption, yes. I made a half-hearted attempt awhile back to find out more about the vote, but gave up when it wasn't the first search result.

So you want to draw a line for a team tradition that's been around for 20 years.

Drawing a line of when we run into problems. It's either all or nothing. I don't see penalties called in Detroit for octopi.

I don't think we've seen rats on the ice for 20 years. The concern is safety and lengthy delays. No one ever got hurt by an octopus, unless they had just consumed it. It's a one-off thing, they don't rain down by the hundreds.

I don't think we've seen rats on the ice for 20 years. The concern is safety and lengthy delays. No one ever got hurt by an octopus, unless they had just consumed it. It's a one-off thing, they don't rain down by the hundreds.

20 years. God forbid the home fans actually have a lite fun. Games nowadays are lifeless as it is, let's outlaw what little is left. I don't recall anybody getting hurt and somehow I doubt it's caused any distress from either team. But it's OK to sit around for 10 minutes while they review an offsides play.

This league has enough problems to deal with, somehow I doubt an occasional 2 minute cleanup of plastic rats should be an issue. A delay of game penalty is ridiculous. Especially with so many New Yonkers down here, who's to say it's not the opposing fans throwing them on the ice.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.