GDT: Winnipeg @ Buffalo 1:00 PM EST 3-26-16

Wyldnwoody44

Attended my first and only game of the season. Some thoughts:

Had noon reservation at (716). First time there. Oddly, we got there at 11 and figured we'd have a drink until our table was ready. They sat is immediately, which I did not expect. Food was good,service was better. Left about 30% gratuity for out fine young server. Never let our drinks run dry. Clearly, the guy can spot some drinkers.

Onto the game, I got tickets on stub hub in section 101. I didn't realize the location in the arena until I got there. Very convenient.

The first period, chet and muffy were in full effect. Funny though, most of the peeps I saw looked like blue collar Buffalo folk. Anywho, the arena was DEAD until Fasching's goal. My take on the scene, the play of the team is the biggest contributor to the crowds enthusiasm.

Fasching, Foligno, Bogo Are huge. Gionta is a gnat. Reinharts pass on Jack's goal was other worldly. Fasching dismantled the Jets Dman on his goal. So many close chances. Foligno, Girgensons. Drew Stafford is a punk bitch. It was nice that they recognized him and Marfans for their time as Sabres. Drew might still be one if he played with half the tenacity he does against his former team. Chris Thorburn remains one of my favorite players. Rugged 4th liner who always gives his all. He should have always been a Sabre.

Would love to hear your take on the atmosphere in the 3rd period.  From watching on TV, it looked spectacular after we tied it and then took the lead with a random "Let's Go Buffalo!" chant breaking out in the final minutes.  

I think there's a big shift this year in that people don't hate or resent the team anymore.  We have star players and promising young players, and the team is legitimately fun to watch.  

For me personally, it felt really weird today when we were down 5-0 after 5 minutes and I still felt pretty confident that we'd win the game.

Attended my first and only game of the season. Some thoughts:

Had noon reservation at (716). First time there. Oddly, we got there at 11 and figured we'd have a drink until our table was ready. They sat is immediately, which I did not expect. Food was good,service was better. Left about 30% gratuity for out fine young server. Never let our drinks run dry. Clearly, the guy can spot some drinkers.

Onto the game, I got tickets on stub hub in section 101. I didn't realize the location in the arena until I got there. Very convenient.

The first period, chet and muffy were in full effect. Funny though, most of the peeps I saw looked like blue collar Buffalo folk. Anywho, the arena was DEAD until Fasching's goal. My take on the scene, the play of the team is the biggest contributor to the crowds enthusiasm. U

Fasching, Foligno, Bogo Are huge. Gionta is a gnat. Reinharts pass on Jack's goal was other worldly. Fasching dismantled the Jets Dman on his goal. So many close chances. Foligno, Girgensons. Drew Stafford is a punk bitch. It was nice that they recognized him and Marfans for their time as Sabres. Drew might still be one if he played with half the tenacity he does against his former team. Chris Thorburn remains one of my favorite players. Rugged 4th liner who always gives his all. He should have always been a Sabre.

Great post!

8 regulation losses in the last 26 games. (12-8-6). Not bad. 

We are 16-12-6 in the 2nd half of the season. That's a 91-92 point pace for the full season. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Islanders and Rangers all battling it out for playoff position, it'll be a tough but should be fun hockey to watch the rest of the season. This offseason will be very interesting. 

And before I forget, great post inkman. 

Edited by jsb

I've been hearing about this Eichel competitiveness all year but hadn't really seen it. I was beginning to think it was all newspaper fluff. I still feel like his demeanor is very Stafford-ish.

But today I saw it. After Fasching scored they showed Eichel next to him on the bench and Eichel looked peeved. Then after Reinhart scored, the next shift Eichel had a shot stopped and wouldn't even look at Reinhart afterwards. I thought "good!". Reinhart is one goal behind the Chosen One. It's time to step it up. He has nobody to blame but himself.

Then he goes out there and scores a goal scorer's goal. Clutch, pretty, and on cue. That's some competitiveness right there. Very impressed.

Would love to hear your take on the atmosphere in the 3rd period. From watching on TV, it looked spectacular after we tied it and then took the lead with a random "Let's Go Buffalo!" chant breaking out in the final minutes.

I think there's a big shift this year in that people don't hate or resent the team anymore. We have star players and promising young players, and the team is legitimately fun to watch.

For me personally, it felt really weird today when we were down 5-0 after 5 minutes and I still felt pretty confident that we'd win the game.

Third period definitely had more of a charged atmosphere. Before I forget, I was stunned at the amount of Eichel jerseys. I must have seen a hundred between 716 and the arena. Buffalo has bought into this kid hook, line and sinker.

Third period definitely had more of a charged atmosphere. Before I forget, I was stunned at the amount of Eichel jerseys. I must have seen a hundred between 716 and the arena. Buffalo has bought into this kid hook, line and sinker.

If the team really wants to motivate him, they'll plant a greater number of fans in Reinhart jerseys where he can see them.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I prefer my Reinhart thought....  ;)

I was worried after the first 5 or 10,but I knew that this team is just gonna battle hard, and they did.

From where I was sitting I thought ugly buff was gonna lay Z out (the first time looked like hit from behind) but then they came across and Z knocked buff on his penny. Not expecting that, I believe this was after eichel scored the 3rd and was icing on the cake.

Crowd was def blah at the beginning, but In the 3rd, it clearly came to life, it's nice watching a team that we can actively root for, F the tank, it's time grow our crops

Just now watched the game. Fasching looked good, scored on his first shot. He's no Wayne Primeau, who,scored on his first shift. This may be a good thing,

I'm kind of hoping October comes quickly, not gonna lie. Next year should be fun...

Edited by Sabres79

Had to watch the replay.  Uhm, why isn't Johnson signed already for next season? 

Hudson, The Faschist, Faschers, Hudsies...whatever they wind up calling him, dude interviews like Chip or Dale. Espresso, anyone?

I can't believe Nelson is 6'2", he looked small out there.  Freaky he was on for every goal, though.

Samson, typical heads-up play for him.  What a guy.  I almost think if we didn't have ROR, Samson would be the next captain, being so diplomatic and all in his interviews. He's pretty smooth out there on the ice, he's always a pleasure to watch.

Speaking of smooth.  Jack Jack.  Holy sh*t.  Not only did he score an elite goal-scorer's goal, he was hitting nearly every player he came across.  Obviously, we have yet to see Eichel's matured offensive game, and I believe his physical game could develop well beyond expectations. 

This team. Man, if Hudsies can keep up the game he played today, that second line of Hudsies, ROR, and Kaner could be quite the second line.  I'm still not convinced Z is the best choice for the Z, Jack and Samson line, but I'm not $11 mil over 7 years unconvinced, either.  It will be interesting to see how these last games play out, but if what we're seeing is an accurate representation of this team's potential, then we definitely need to spend some cash and find a 1-2 D man to go with Risto first and foremost.  Then go after a winger.

The D had a good game today, overall, after the first 5 minutes.  Risto and Pysyk looked very good, I thought. 

Where does that leave the D?  Risto + ?, Bogo + Pysyk, Nelson + Gorges.  Mmmm, not too shabby.

I can't believe Nelson is 6'2", he looked small out there.  Freaky he was on for every goal, though.

He wasn't.  He missed the first goal for each team (even though he had an assist on the first Sabre goal).  You can see Pysyk and Risto at the goal celebrating with Fasching; Nelson had already stepped off.  And he wasn't on for the first WPG goal either (the D pair was McCabe & Bogo).  Check the Game Summary if you don't believe me.

Where does that leave the D?  Risto + ?, Bogo + Pysyk, Nelson + Gorges.  Mmmm, not too shabby.

McCabe is more of a long term presence on the D than Gorges is.  Personally I see Nelson in the AHL next year getting some seasoning, rotating in occasionally for 6/7 D duty.  I could see one of Pysyk or McCabe being traded as part of a package (plus picks or prospects) to upgrade the defense, but if not I kind of see McCabe as one of the 6 next year, and Nelson at best will be the 7D.  I'll let GMTM work out the details, but I'm not sure how you could leave McCabe off your list.

I knew I was forgetting someone. I like McCabe lots. Seems we have a log jam at D, oddly enough. Nelson projects to be a second pairing D man in the NHL, so I was projecting forward. Not that I like it, but Pysyk might be the odd man out given his narrative this season.

Bogo and McCabe is a good second pair for next year. Gorges isn't leaving, I believe. He's on the third pair with a Pysyk or Nelson type, Nelson probably if he can get points and play the PP like he did in college. Pysyk would be wasted as a 7th D man.

While I share the excitement of everybody else and can't wait until next year, I'm not that optimistic about Nelson. There is a reason 29 other teams passed on him every single draft he entered.

Actually........... 30.

If Nelson can be a better skating Franson on the 3rd pairing I'd say its a great grab.

It was great seeing them win in from behind fashion with the youngsters leading the charge.

Speaking of smooth.  Jack Jack.  Holy sh*t.  Not only did he score an elite goal-scorer's goal, he was hitting nearly every player he came across.  Obviously, we have yet to see Eichel's matured offensive game, and I believe his physical game could develop well beyond expectations. 

The hitting seemed to really pick up after his shift on the 1st PP of the game, he was cheap shot by the WPG player away from the play and looked noticeably slower the rest of that shift, but threw three hits it seemed. i can always appreciate a mean streak in a skilled player. Reinhart's streak is more subtle, he doesn't show anger thus angering the other team's guy even further. Then he picks them apart with a pass or solid stick work. He could very well become the enforcer of the mind. Just knocking opposing players off their game by playing so level headed and smart that they get aggravated thus making them more prone to screwing up.

Samson, typical heads-up play for him.  What a guy.  I almost think if we didn't have ROR, Samson would be the next captain, being so diplomatic and all in his interviews. He's pretty smooth out there on the ice, he's always a pleasure to watch.

This team. Man, if Hudsies can keep up the game he played today, that second line of Hudsies, ROR, and Kaner could be quite the second line.  I'm still not convinced Z is the best choice for the Z, Jack and Samson line, but I'm not $11 mil over 7 years unconvinced, either.  .

I'd love to see Gus become that dominant player who develops chemistry with the two whiz kids but so far he haven't. Boy if that like ne adds another talented scorer, look out!

It's fun beating bad teams, lol. But we have a long way to go to compete with Rangers and Capitals

Speaking of which, when was the last time the Canadian teams collectively were so bad?  All 7 of them are in the bottom 10 in the league.

Clearly they are all gunning for the #1 overall pick.  Why wouldn't all of them jump at the chance to draft a fantastic kid from the USofA?

I'd love to see Gus become that dominant player who develops chemistry with the two whiz kids but so far he haven't. Boy if that like ne adds another talented scorer, look out!

It's fun beating bad teams, lol. But we have a long way to go to compete with Rangers and Capitals

How 'bout we start with beating a couple teams fighting for playoff spots on consecutive nights?   #Detroit  #Pittsburgh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.