Field Sobriety Test: Should the Sabres Consider Trading for Thomas Vanek?

Mustache of God

I'd definitely trade Moulson for Vanek. I'd give Vanek a shot to make the team next year as well but would have no problem sending him down to Rochester is his performance and effort warranted it. 1 season of Vanek's cap hit is way better than 3 more seasons of Moulson's cap hit.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Parise was just joking around when he said Vanek's nickname was "Selke."

Thomas Vanek was never the problem here. Darcy was. Vanek was just the best forward on our poopy team.

I dunno, man. There's talent there. But he's now been part of two teams that became soulless lifeless husks during a period of time when he was expected to produce top-line numbers. 

Bad luck? Or is he just bad news?

I'm beginning to wonder whether Parise was just joking around when he said Vanek's nickname was "Selke."

I dunno, man. There's talent there. But he's now been part of two teams that became soulless lifeless husks during a period of time when he was expected to produce top-line numbers.

Bad luck? Or is he just bad news?

I think he's just old. And he was never that bad for the Canadiens.

As for looking through a "character guy" or "good vet" lens, Vanek is definitely bad news.

I'm sure you would and leave $20M on the table.....

What if there's a real connection, an almost father-son relationship, between Matt and Jack, and Matt thinks his contract will hurt Jack's chances at winning? Does that move the needle?

I don't like Vanek at all, but I would trade Moulson for him in a second for the reasons TBPhD mentioned.

What a freaking waste of talent he's turned out to be.

He does have 318 goals in the NHL.

Odd, accidentally discovered, stat of the day.  Mike Foligno had more career goals (355) than Danny Gare (354).  Ray Sheppard (357) had more goals than both of them.

Anybody know why we gave Sheppard away for a dollar in 1990?  I know he had a bad start to that season but that seemed like an odd thing at the time and given that I was only 9 I wasn't really tuned into the off-ice stuff.  It seems incomprehensible that there was no trade market for a guy who scored 38 and 22 goals in his first two seasons. I know he was slow but still...

On a similar note does anyone know why we retired Gare's number? Or Horton's? Or LaFontaine's? If you asked me it would be 11 and 39.

On a similar note does anyone know why we retired Gare's number? Or Horton's? Or LaFontaine's? If you asked me it would be 11 and 39.

This must be rerun day on SabreSpace. Vanek, retired numbers and I just read the Sabres are raising ticket prices 4% next season, yet another increase under Pegula. Every year now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.