Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

I really like Fasching the player, and I really love what I've heard about Fasching the person.. This is great news, and I hope he gets some action at both levels before the seasons end. 

If he's in Buffalo in the near future, do we send a forward down like COR? Or maybe we make a goalie move.. Either Lehner is shut down and goes to IR, opening up a spot. Or Lehner is good and Kasdorf can go down or on IR if he's still got a groin issue.

He reminds me of a bigger Thomas Vanek...and not just because he comes from the Gophers.

Well... Let's not too carried away. Vanek was 5th overall with a fantastic shot and deflection skills. Fasching was a 4th rounder who has looked great on team USA, is great along the boards and kills penalties. I think he should project to one of those up-and-down the lineup guys who possesses the puck and can finish. 2nd liner hopefully.

Can someone please post the GWAR gif again?

That's how I feel right now.

What does this guy project to be for this team down the road ? Is he a 3rd line guy ? Is he top 6 ? There seems to be lots of hype but truthfully I know little about him.

I think the worst case scenario (aside from busting entirely) is a Marcus Foligno/LA KIng depth type — a big body who really works the wall well and is generally a good soldier. The thing he has over Foligno is he seems to be a much better skater: smoother and faster. He played with Larkin in the WJC and kept up just fine. The two were puck pressure and puck possession demons and Fasching caught a lot of guys on the backcheck. He seems to be really good at carrying the puck to the net from the corners and he frequently scores from in tight. He played the PP and worked the first line in college but I'm not sure if the hands will translate to NHL speed. Doesn't hit like Foligno when he's on, though, or have that nasty edge.

Upside is a guy who can slot anywhere in top nine - as part of a shutdown unit, or the cornerman and conscience on an offensive line.

Edited by dudacek

Awesome news that he'll be up in Buffalo right away! I wonder what number he'll wear. He wore 24 with Minnesota. Will they give him that right off the bat, or will he get a generic 50-something a la Bailey?

As far as projections go, I have only been able to watch a couple full games. However, from highlights and scouting reports, I would say his floor is a Marcus Foligno (who I see was just mentioned above as I write) type of player. Solid power forward that'll work the walls and be a threat in front of the net. Might not pan out as top 6, but a valuable NHL piece. His ceiling is definitely a top 6 RW though, one that'll play gritty on the boards and sit in front of the net as he flanks one of our young centermen. Best case scenario, he might be worthy of a second line RW spot, or maybe first line based on chemistry (if he really clicks with Eichel, say). I'm impressed with his hands for a big guy. He seems very skilled at tracking rebounds and putting them home.

There is the hype.  If he had Vanek's game he'd have been a top 10 pick.

Agreed that a Vanek comparion is pushing the hype train a bit much, but Fasching was touted as a first rounder at one point in HS if I recall correctly. This article discusses a little bit about why he went in the 4th round. Basically, he really struggled in his first year at Minnesota and reportedly didn't fare well in pre-draft interviews because he wouldn't commit to a role. When he dropped, he set out to solidify his power forward game and his college career took off.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-hudson-fasching-rapidly-developing-into-top-power-forward/

Don't want to sound like a stout defender of him, because I don't know enough about him and I'll let his play do the real speaking. Just something to keep in mind when talking about his previous draft status!

Has that been confirmed?

Just going off some tweets, including:

John Vogl of Buff News: "Sabres confirm Fasching will come to Buffalo on Tuesday and will not play in Carolina. He can debut Saturday at home against Winnipeg."

Michael Russo, Minn beat writer: "Hudson Fasching will join the #sabres immediately, burns first year of the deal. He should debut soon"

Haven't heard official Sabres confirmation.

Maybe more than anyone, GM TM's early job performance evaluation will hinge on this guy. Murray really wanted Fasching.

Yeah.  He went against his stated plan of moving picks/prospects for NHL ready talent.  He gave up NHL ready talent for one that needed a couple years.  he needs to be right here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.