Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Isn't it too soon for O'Reilly....he's signed for 6 more years, correct?

but they've also won 3 cups in last 7 seasons....I'll take that

O'Reilly is on the books till 2023. But he could always be moved in the last couple years of his deal. His cap hit might be friendly by then.

I'm more worried about how to keep Eichel and Reinhart on their RFA deals. If we can manage to pay them and have Stamkos and O'Reilly for a couple of years, I would do it. At the very least you can escape from O'Reilly and Stamkos while Eichel and Reinhart are still young.

I think Bickell was moved...Kane, Toews and Keith keep them as cup contenders every year. Their contracts are only relevant in the sense that they hinder them for overspending on auxilary players.

Edited by Doctor of Philhousley

Does a team with O'Reilly, Stamkos, Eichel and Reinhart compete for a Cup at some point in the next three seasons? If so, then I do it and sort the contract stuff out later. If you're smart you can make this work without handcuffing the team forever.

Edited by d4rksabre

Does a team with O'Reilly, Stamkos, Eichel and Reinhart compete for a Cup at some point in the next three seasons? If so, then I do it and sort the contract stuff out later. If you're smart you can make this work without handcuffing the team forever.

Not without a couple of defensemen, it doesn't.

You would think they would almost certainly do so. If not, we'd be in a world of trouble anyways, if our 2 2nd overall picks and ROR aren't making us a very good, contending team on their own. This is all assuming Murray addresses the need at D. But if a core with those 4 isn't contending, the issues are much deeper than Stamkos under performing while here. 

Not without a couple of defensemen, it doesn't.

Exactly. I'm in for Stamkos if it doesn't prohibit Murray from upgrading the LHD this summer. That's where the conversation begins and ends with me. 

I like this lineup very much, but regarding the bolded, what do you see GMTM doing for our D then? Specifically this summer. A trade to fill the need?

I think Anaheim is likely to trade either Lindholm or Fowler, and I think GMTM will be in the mix.  Fowler is under contract for 2 more years at $4MM per year; Lindholm will likely get a contract closer to $5.5MM per year. 

If the Sabres get Fowler, $4MM is a reasonable number that won't impair the Sabres' cap management.  Lindholm is another story, because he'll be more expensive, and because giving him a fat, long-term contract means that it's more likely that they give Risto a similar contract.  Still, I think GMTM would be likely to do so if he gets Lindholm.

If the Sabres don't get one of those 2, then I think they get a stopgap like Soupy for 1-2 years at $4MM - $5MM per year.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of who could pop loose (I think there may be a couple in Minnesota, for instance), but I don't think any of those will be too expensive.

I don't think GMTM will throw $6MM x 5 years at someone like Yandle or Goligoski.

But they were bounced out of round 1 in the first year of the Toews and Kane mega deals, in part because they couldn't afford to pay a 4th viable defenseman, and don't look to have any viable avenue for improvement this offseason.

Also GMTM said there have been no discussions about an offer to Stamkos

I've seen conflicting info around the interwebs. Question: Can the contract be front loaded? Say $35 mil for the 1st 2 years and $42 mil over the last 5 years so an avg of $11 / year but only $7 mil on the books the last 5 years to help facilitate other contracts as needed.

Yes but every contract is based on an AAV. The yearly amount is the same throughout the contract for cap purposes

Also GMTM said there have been no discussions about an offer to Stamkos

Yes but every contract is based on an AAV. The yearly amount is the same throughout the contract for cap purposes

ok thx. My math is wrong anyways, oops

I've seen conflicting info around the interwebs. Question: Can the contract be front loaded? Say $35 mil for the 1st 2 years and $42 mil over the last 5 years so an avg of $11 / year but only $7 mil on the books the last 5 years to help facilitate other contracts as needed.

tl;dr: no.

Max annual compensation is 20% of the cap, so max annual compensation for contracts signed this summer will be about $14.5M.

There are a couple of rules on year-year variability as well:

1) Compensation (salary+bonus) cannot vary year to year by more than 35% of the first year's compensation.

2) Lowest year cannot be less than 50% of the highest year. So if he made $17.5M in year one, the lowest year would have to be $8.75M,

I think Anaheim is likely to trade either Lindholm or Fowler, and I think GMTM will be in the mix.  Fowler is under contract for 2 more years at $4MM per year; Lindholm will likely get a contract closer to $5.5MM per year. 

If the Sabres get Fowler, $4MM is a reasonable number that won't impair the Sabres' cap management.  Lindholm is another story, because he'll be more expensive, and because giving him a fat, long-term contract means that it's more likely that they give Risto a similar contract.  Still, I think GMTM would be likely to do so if he gets Lindholm.

If the Sabres don't get one of those 2, then I think they get a stopgap like Soupy for 1-2 years at $4MM - $5MM per year.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of who could pop loose (I think there may be a couple in Minnesota, for instance), but I don't think any of those will be too expensive.

I don't think GMTM will throw $6MM x 5 years at someone like Yandle or Goligoski.

Lindholm will not be moved.  Soupy is going to Chicago for a low end contract.  Fowler is the one that Anaheim will move. If we sign Stamkos than we will not be able to resign Kane. On your lines from a previous post, you forgot Delauries on the fourth line.  Moulson will be sent to Rochester if he plays like he did last year.

Good stuff. I'm good with the bolded provided we are drafting a D at 8.

Shattenkirk and Bogo. Or maybe that's what I hope he's talking about :lol:

That's what it sounded like. 

But they were bounced out of round 1 in the first year of the Toews and Kane mega deals, in part because they couldn't afford to pay a 4th viable defenseman, and don't look to have any viable avenue for improvement this offseason.

I know that but they still have 3 Cups in last 7 seasons....I prefer dealing with that over worst team in the league last few seasons.

I know that but they still have 3 Cups in last 7 seasons....I prefer dealing with that over worst team in the league last few seasons.

They were able to accomplish this in part because they had contracts that were backdiving cap dodges allowed under the old CBA. It is much harder to do that now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.