GDT: Canadiens @ Sabres 7pm, 3/16/2016

LGR4GM

Unfortunate loss.  I agree with someone who posted above.  The Sabres were the better team, more quality scoring chances, more shots, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if Therrien's game plan was to use chippy play to get in the Sabres heads.  It's unfortunate the DD couldn't get them calmed down and thinking straight.  The quantity of penalties and game misconduct calls was ridiculous.  One thing that drives me nuts is when DD puts the 4th line out for an offensive zone faceoff.  What is he trying to accomplish?  The 2nd unit for the PP is god awful too.  I really like the Larsson line.  Gionta launching himself into Emelin was awesome.  Gionta is much more effective in his 3rd line role.  The Foligno goal was a thing of beauty.  He seems to have really blossomed this year.  Props to Legwand for patiently setting him up.  Kane is becoming much more of a distributor.  He had a couple really nice passes that lead to good scoring opportunities.  I like his game but needs to clean up some of the dumb penalties.  Finally, we need Jack to think like Bogo.  Holy Christ, Bogo had to have 10+ shots on goal last night.  Shoot it Jack... You've got the best shot on the team!!

I notice that Kane, Eichel and Reinhart scored zero points tonight.  Zilch. Zip.  And they'd been on a red hot streak.  

Bylsma and his line changes....    Is this character really the Coach of Coaches for the Sabres?  Our "Coach of The Next Chapter"?    Is he to the Sabres what Quenneville was/is to the Blackhawks when he was hired in 2007?    Or is he the new Ted Nolan?  

Edited by Jsixspd

I said it last night but I will repeat it. Eichel on the wall is awful. He just uses his stick 90% of the time to win the battle and he loses a lot of them. I hope this gets heavily worked on in the offseason.

Well Lehner being a crazy person is amusing, I am still on the Ullmark train to win town. 

ROR looked pretty good in his first game back. Glad he is healing.

I want more or better from Ristolainen. He vanished at times and that was very frustrating for what we hope is our future #1 defender.

I think this is a great teachable moment for this team and I like how they stand up for one another. I am disappointed they lost.

2 things. I want Lehner to be a psycho, when is the last time this team had a goalie who could get pissed and back it up? I think he gets more motivated and aggressive in a good way when he gets pissed at the opponent. and wtf Bylsma? leave the lines alone, if anyone is a psycho its bylsma with his line changes every game.

Yeah I'm officially quite sour on Bylsma, he doesn't have much emotion behind the bench, his player usage is awful and I'm not sure his system is what this team needs.... But I doubt he's going anywhere so I'll put that to rest for now.

Unfortunately I missed most of the game, caught it at 2-2 with 6 left in the third. Was hoping we could cash in on that dirty elbow.

It looked like a lot of red in the crowd, hate losing to the Habs, must have been insufferable leaving the arena last night

One of Eichel's strengths is not the wall.

Lehner is pure entertainment but he's not consistent in goal.

No real blame because he played a very good game overall but that last goal was ROR's fault not necessarily Bogosians.

Risto and Samson disappeared at times. Girgensons needs to lighten up on the stick, he just plain flubbed the chances he had last night.

The team definitely had their moments but it is still a young and immature team. The Habs got in their heads and instead of playing thru for the win, they went and committed some stupid penalties and paid the price for it. Never should have lost that game.

Foligno is really starting to grow on me. He's been nothing short of a beast lately. Really playing well. Short handed goal was really really nice.

ROR and Kane need another winger on their line. I'm trying to remember a better forechecker on this team then Kane, no-one in particular is coming to me.

That was a nice piece on R.Ray. I hated those jerseys but my sister bought me as a present 1 of his back in the day. Not sure what the heck I did with it but its no longer in the closet.

This offseason should be interesting because I think all this team needs is a top 6 forward and a 1st pairing D and we'll be fine.

Lehner is the antithesis of Miller. That's a very good thing in my mind.

Great game. They have been playing lately like I imagined they would back in October. The better team, but losing with their youthful enthusiasm on full display. It's great to watch the learning curve happen  week in and week out.

I like that Lehner is crazy.

I liked Kane's penalties too.

This team has been dying for some attitude for a long time. They can keep doing what they're doing.

Don't get used to it. Dan doesn't like it, nor should he. I have a feeling coach's comments after the game will not sit well with the hard-working, blue collar, lunch bucket full of baloney sammiches WNY crowd.

Don't get used to it. Dan doesn't like it, nor should he. I have a feeling coach's comments after the game will not sit well with the hard-working, blue collar, lunch bucket full of baloney sammiches WNY crowd.

Just ask yourself.....

What would Lindy say after a game like that?

Just ask yourself.....

What would Lindy say after a game like that?

Interesting. Lindy probably could go either way depending on how his mustache twitched. Remember this is the guy who once said hits are not important in a game unless you end up with possession of the puck.

Lehner needs to learn to keep his cool. I mean it. This was a 2-1 win without him losing his temper.

I do not want him to lose his cool. Or to flip his lid.

From GR this AM

. @martybiron43 with more on Lehner: "Guys are more likely to hit the goalie if they know he will react"

2 things. I want Lehner to be a psycho, when is the last time this team had a goalie who could get pissed and back it up? I think he gets more motivated and aggressive in a good way when he gets pissed at the opponent. 

No, he doesn't.  He gets distracted.  Who cares about whether a goalie can "back it up"?  Really?

From GR this AM

. @martybiron43 with more on Lehner: "Guys are more likely to hit the goalie if they know he will react"

Exactly.

So where does the bell shaped curve start downward after a swift blocker glove to the grill.

Right. How many guys are going to hit a goalie who actually hurts people? There's getting Ryan Miller shook up, and then there's lighting the fuse on a nutjob like Lehner. Two very different things. 

Right. How many guys are going to hit a goalie who actually hurts people? There's getting Ryan Miller shook up, and then there's lighting the fuse on a nutjob like Lehner. Two very different things. 

A professional goalie just said that they're more likely to hit Lehner.  What more do you need?

Yeah.

It's all feel-good to have the big boy psycho goalie who wants to throw down. All the Lulz and bar room high fives.

But from the standpoint of winning hockey games, it's a net (ha!) negative if the word is out that your goalie has a quick temper and is keen to mix it up. It just invites more trouble than such trouble and response are worth.

Every NHL team has several players rostered to it who will not give a rat's ass that Lehner's going to go ape on them if the bump, jostle, run him. In fact, the likelihood that he will lose his cool will only encourage those players.

So where does the bell shaped curve start downward after a swift blocker glove to the grill.

Then your Rob Ray, Deslauriers types start purposely taking shots to draw a reaction penalty on him. You want Lehner to be tough but smart, not stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.