Trade with Senators-Varone, Leduc, Akeson traded for Schneider Plus 3 More

Brawndo

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=871049

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has acquired forwards Alex GuptillEric O’Dell and Cole Schneider, as well as defenseman Michael Sdao, from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forwards Jason Akeson and Phil Varone and defenseman Jerome Leduc.

Schneider (6’1”, 199 lbs., 8/26/1990) is a native of Williamsville, New York and was leading the Binghamton Senators (AHL) with 42 points (17+25) in 54 games this season. The forward has 191 points (83+108) in 263 career games for Binghamton.

O’Dell (6’0”, 195 lbs., 6/21/1990) was leading Binghamton with 18 goals and ranked second with 37 points (18+19) in 50 games this season. 

Guptill (6’3”, 190 lbs., 3/5/1992) has spent time in both the AHL and ECHL this season, posting a combined 24 points (14+10) in 41 games played, including one assist in three AHL games for Binghamton.

Sdao (6’4”, 229 lbs., 7/3/1989) had two assists and a plus-4 rating in 17 games for Binghamton this season. In 123 career AHL games, the defenseman has 18 points (9+9) and a plus-19 rating.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Coming off a 10-5 loss and another disappointing season was winding down. The Amerks had a couple of runs this year leaving then not too far out of the playoff race. This is absolutely a deal to help the amerks.

Not sure why the sens would do it...

I wish they would have shipped out more of the dead weight, the guys they gave up weren't really the problem.

My son's girlfriend's friend from college dates Schneider. My six degrees of Schneider. But she lives in Binghamton, so that will be tough.

Could be trying to get rid of some Amerk veterans so they don't have to sit some each game.

Edited by pastajoe

Interesting deal.. move out 3, bring in 4. 

The trade deadline is proving interesting.  As I see it.. Varone gets a shot with the Sens organization, perhaps he does something.  He hasn't done a ton with Buffalo and with the new guys coming in for Buffalo they might as well move some AHL players to give them a shot at things as well.

I would think Cole Schneider will start right away with the Sabres. I think with bodies moving out (McGinn) and some guys just not ready yet, such as Bailey, they gave themselves some buffer before rushing guys.

I like the trade though. They got bigger and more two-way players. The Amerks are a mess, GMTM says its important to have a good farm team, which i think is correct. I think theres a correlation. I hated Leduc's game and wasn't much of a fan of Varone. Who is undersized and soft.

Also, it seems to me that Murray is high on college players. Three of the players in this deal coming to the Sabres went through the college route then junior leagues in Canada. Interesting concept i think.

I think this does make the Amerks better. Little Phil's time has been up all season IMO. Too small and fades away too easily. I've never liked Leduc's game. Amerks really need a bully on D. Austin is developing into that but is not there yet so I hope Sdao adds enough. I've been on the fence with Akeson. Good wheels and skill set but has entire games filled with bone head moves and others where he can't seem to stay on his feet. See ya, boys. Good luck in Bing.

Meh? Meh.

Yawn!

I don't see much here. The gave up nothing much and received nothing much (maybe a little bigger)

Tim Murray might get stuck holding Chad Johnson and receive nothing for him. He might get something for McGinn, but the price is dropping as teams complete their moves. I hope Murray shows me something clever before tomorrow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.