GDT: Buffalo @ Ottawa, 7:30 pm est, 2-16-2016

WildCard

I don't care so much about the loss as I do about the way it happened.  Bylsma did some things correctly tonight.  His OT lineup was spot on and he led with Eichel in the shootout.  And Moulson, I believe, was 50% in the shootout before tonight, so I didn't mind seeing that, either.  I also didn't see so much dump and chase.  (Maybe he figured out how those goals were scored on Sunday.)  Good game, ###### result.

Edited by Eleven

Lehner was terrific all game. Then the shootout...

I actually liked Bylsma's choices in OT and SO.

Wish we'd have won, but I'm not mad.

My reaction was "eh, oh well." I want 80 points or I won't be happy, where that puts us in the standings make no difference to me. I'll take loser points all day. 

Sam and Jack had another lights out performance; I really like the way the whole team played tonight, good passing and transition game. The youngsters A+, Bailey included.

It was nice to see Foligno make a noticeable difference in this game.

Foligno strikes me as the kind of player that has an OK regular season; however, plays his best hockey during a playoff run.

Edited by hockeyhound

We haven't scored a shootout goal since October 21st.

Sam and Jack had another lights out performance; I really like the way the whole team played tonight, good passing and transition game. The youngsters A+, Bailey included.

It was nice to see Foligno make a noticeable difference in this game.

Foligno strikes me as the kind of player that has an OK regular season; however, plays his best hockey during a playoff run.

Agreed on the first two points, as for the last one, I really hope we get a chance to see that soon

Looked to me like the defense was activated in this game. At one point Pysyk pinched, saw Foligno fill his spot on the point and left him there while he was playing down low in the offensive zone. The D activated led to some good chances.

ROR looks strong on the puck again.

Jack and Sam looked like they were flying out there, confidence must be pretty high right now. Sam is even starting to try new things, continuing to evolve before our eyes.

Love the fact that they are 3 and 4 in rookie goal scoring I'm not gonna lie. Hoping for a 1-2 finish in goals, that would be sweet.

Lehner, like him. He sucks in shootouts, has he made a save yet?

We kept that division road game point streak alive, too.

Nice

Really liked the way the D played tonight.

Almost to a man they were trying to augment the attack. Pysyk and McCabe were particularly noticeable.

The five-man defensive support was also near perfect, especially in the third.

The boys were really supporting each other and reading the attackers well.

Foligno with another good game and Lehner continues to be a mammoth in there.

ROR looked exhausted again, but Sam and Jack are making up for it.

Almost to a man they were trying to augment the attack. Pysyk and McCabe were particularly noticeable.

I'm not sure if I heard correctly, but I think it was said that our defensemen combined for 17 shots on goal through two periods. It was noticeable, and it was fantastic. I hope this is Dan unleashing them after spending the season so far leading them through his system's intricacies. I would be ecstatic to see the unit play the way it did today for the rest of the year. 

Fully agreed with everything else. I think Kane playing in this game could have tipped the scales enough to give us a W.

I was worried when Lehner seemed to let the PS get to him the next two games, but he has quickly returned to being incredibly stable.

Pysyk and McCabe are your typical young defensemen, their play is sort of like a sine wave but there are positives with these 2 and I'd really like to see them turn into a very good 3rd pairing. Drop Gorges down with Bogosian and then your immediate need is just a 1st pairing guy with Risto to make this a solid group going forward. The same thing can be said of Lehner but when he's on.... he's on.

The bolded is also true, the young guys are starting to be a lot more responsible in their defensive responsibilities. Larsson in particular has done a really nice job as the 3rd C. He missed Kane yesterday otherwise I think his line would have scored and won the game.

Foligno has played really well for about a month now. You can tell he's getting confident with the puck also. He's trying things almost every game lately, not always successfully but positively. I think he can be a cheaper McGinn moving forward. If we can get something for McGinn, go for it. Reinhart started a bit slowly but really kicked it up as the game went on. Eichel definitely plays better with Girgs on his side.

The trade deadline will be interesting to see if the front office wants to finish strong or play for a draft pick. I'd be good for either but it seems to me we have moved into the upper crust of the lottery. 8-6-3 since the 2nd half of the season has started isn't too shabby although we still need some work to be a viable playoff contender next year.

Ugh, we are worse in shootouts than the tank teams.

Last season the Sabres ranked 6th in shootouts with an 8-5 record.

Sabres have gone 14 attempts without a shootout goal, the only time they scored this season was in the same game vs. Toronto back in October,  Moulson ans Ennis scored in that SO.

Incredible.

I don't have much to add, other than Reino's shift in OT showed (to me, anyway) why DDB hasn't played him in OT: he's too slow.

If speed is justification for keeping Reinhart out, then why does he play Gorges and O'Reilly? Those guys are no faster than Samson.

Edit: and seriously, you're willing to conclude Reinhart is too slow for OT after the first shift of his career?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.