GDT: Buffalo @ Ottawa, 7:30 pm est, 2-16-2016

WildCard

(ahem)......Yooooooouuuuuuuuurrrrrr Buffalo Sabres will stroll on up to Canada's capital tonight for a division showdown against the revamped Ottawa Senators. The Sabres, having won 2 straight and earned points in 6 out of their last 8, will look to continue their winning ways and cling to the hope that is a playoff spot. Coming off a 4-1 win against Colorado on Sunday afternoon, the Sabres started hot early with a beautiful coast to coast goal from Jack Eichel and a responding Reinhart goal later on, one that saw the rookies continue their torrid race to lead the team in goals. Evander Kane also scored early on, and appears to have finally found his way in Buffalo as his recent hot streak has him at 16 goals now, 1 behind Reinhart, Eichel, and ROR for the team lead, despite having played 10 less games. Kane's recent antics will cost him yet another game, no doubt a power move by Evander as his self-sabotage will only make his eventual goal totals even that much more impressive.

Ahhh, the Senators. Let's just say that the first blockbuster of the NHL world hasn't really paid off so far for Ottawa. Losers of 3 straight and 3-7 in their last 10, Brian Murray's gamble to vault his team into playoff contention has, thus far, completely back-fired, leaving Ottawa 8 points back of playoff contention, and a mere 4 points ahead of the team engineered by his nephew, the Sabres. The Sabres and Senators enter tonight's game with a 1-1 season tie in the series, with Buffalo winning the most recent contest 3-2 right before the ASB. The win featured 2 additions to the Eichel tower, and a towering performance by ex-Senator Robin Lehner, who's Davie Crockett impression single-handedly saved the game for the last 12 minutes of the 3rd. 

The Sabres will be without Evander Kane for his antics. Look for Lehner to start. Jack has 3 goals against Ottawa in his young career so far, including his first NHL goal

Game Preview 

STATS:
All Stats OBuffalo @ Ottawa(3-2 win) 
All Team Rankings
Team Comparison Chart 

Monday Practice report

When they convened on Monday morning, the Buffalo Sabres took the time to watch the goal celebrations from their 4-1 win over Colorado the day before. Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart each celebrated for the 17th time this season, albeit in their own particular fashions.

Eichel's was the more demonstrative of the two: a double fist pump, one knee in the air, shouting as he glided across the ice. Reinhart's was a simple and subtle fist pump as he awaited his teammates near the net, which, by the way, has become his signature goal-scoring location.

In a way, those celebrations are indicative of the contrasting personalities of Buffalo's two youngest players. Eichel, who turned 19 in October, is by all accounts the more vocal of the two, the jokester in the dressing room, while Reinhart, who celebrated his 20th birthday in November, is quiet, reserved, yet intelligent and equally well-liked among his teammates.

Maybe one is the yin to the other's yang because ask any of their teammates and they'll tell you all about the close bond that the two rookies have formed over the last six months. Back in November, Reinhart even mentioned that they've already discussed living together in the future.

"They became really good friends and that’s great to see," Marcus Foligno said. "I think sometimes when you have young kids, you don’t want egos to get in the way or anything – but they definitely don’t have that. Down to Earth kids, they're fun to be around, they're respectful of the older guys and they know their place in this room and they know what they have to do.

"For being at their age, they're very professional. I guess that's the best way to describe them."

When both players scored in the first period against Colorado, they each inched closer to the League's rookie goal-scoring lead, currently held at 18 by Chicago's Artemi Panarin and Detroit's Dylan Larkin. Eichel showed a flash of his trademark sarcasm when asked if he'd like to score more goals than Reinhart by season's end.

"Yeah, of course," he said, smiling. "No, it's great. Sam's been hot after break and he's scored a lot of big goals for our team so whoever's getting them, as long as we're getting those two points it's the most important thing."

Forwards:

88 Jamie McGinn – 90 Ryan O'Reilly – 23 Sam Reinhart

28 Zemgus Girgensons  – 15 Jack Eichel – 26 Matt Moulson

82 Marcus Foligno – 22 Johan Larsson – 12 Brian Gionta

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 56 Justin Bailey

Defensemen:

Josh Gorges, 55 Rasmus Ristolainen,

29 Jake McCabe, 47 Zach Bogosian,

Mark Pysyk46 Cody Franson,

Mike Weber25 Carlo Colaiacovo

Goalies:

40 Robin Lehner
31 Chad Johnson

ottawa-senators-vs-buffalo-sabres11.jpeg

Edited by WildCard

I can't figure out what Sabres player that is in the picture?

Also, how come Larsson never has a link to his name when listed on the Sabres website?

Questions.....questions that need answering.

How the article talks of Eichel and Reinhart is very similar to how Kane and Toews are typically described.

I got this impression as well. Except that unlike Patrick Kane, Jack appears to be a really good guy.

Edited by Thorny

Didn't even notice that was pre-season wrap-around Jack. Fixed now 

How the article talks of Eichel and Reinhart is very similar to how Kane and Toews are typically described.

Yeap. There're tons of articles describing Kane and Toews exactly like this. Though I doubt Eichel is punching out taxi-drivers with a crazy anti-semitic streak anytime soon.

Didn't even notice that was pre-season wrap-around Jack. Fixed now 

Yeap. There're tons of articles describing Kane and Toews exactly like this. Though I doubt Eichel is punching out taxi-drivers with a crazy anti-semitic streak anytime soon.

Yeah, that sounds more like Reinhart's MO. (ducks)

Keeeeding, gents; just keeeding. :p

:lol:

Yeah, that sounds more like Reinhart's MO. (ducks)

Keeeeding, gents; just keeeding. :p

:lol:

I can't stop laughing at the image of Reinhart pulling that :lol: :lol:

Yes sir

Took me a minute, thanks for that.

I wonder how Kane views that.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.