GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm est, 2-11-2016

WildCard

I was wondering if Gudas would be treated as a repeat offender.  I figured there was no way he isn't on the league radar, but I didn't recall hearing of a prior suspension.  Good to know that he's got repeat offender status if he's suspended here.

Hell, he ought to get repeater stauts for the two intents to injure in this game.

Guys like this fly under the radar, while the league tries to condemn someone like John Scott. If more teams had a John Scott on their roster players like Gudas wouldn't be pulling the crap that they are. JMO 

Hey Koziol, Bettman has nobody to blame but himself for hits like this. He wanted to take hitting and fighting out of the game so most cheap shots go without having somebody being held accountable, not to mention a fear of an instigator penalty. Something like that wouldn't have happened with John Scott on the team.

I don't get the logic here. Head shots existed when fighting was much more prevalent. Why didn't fighting serve as a deterrent then? And we still have fighting. An instigator penalty, especially late in a blowout, is hardly going to stop anyone. It didn't stop McCabe. The league has to be the one to handle it. No one should have any confidence that will happen -- yet. I look at it as one thing at a time.

Observations:

The worst effort of the year from this team

Bailey had a nice debut, speed and power on display but he's not ready yet to be in the NHL

Reinhart is not ready yet to be a NHL center. He looks capable at wing but he doesn't look physically ready yet to be a center in this league, hopefully it comes, if not he'll be a very capable winger. His defense was awful the past 2 games and he doesn't have the speed to make up for his mistakes

Gudas is a goon. 2 nothing short of goonish hits, almost purposeful to injure the players he took out. Just no place for that kind of action. If the league is really going to try and limit the fighting they HAVE to punish this kind of play

To showcase the lack of depth on this team, who could have possibly imagined we would have missed 2 players with a combined 7 goals for the year so far as much as this team missed Larrson and Girgensons.When Deslauriers is in your top 6, you know your in trouble.

Priority #1 next year, get Eichel some wingers to play with, he's still making rookie mistakes in positioning but his strengths as a player gets minimized playing with the guys he's getting teamed with.

Lehner has been nothing short of atrocious these past 2 games. 3 goals in this game alone that should never have seen the back of the net. This game was uglier than it normally would have been because of his play. You could sense the players had no confidence in him.

If this continues, the Sabres are going to have to overpay alot to get some quality UFA's to come here next year.

I like a bit about this post.  I would disagree that the defense is the #1 priority.  While the forward depth is a problem.  Improving on depth will be much more important.  McCabe, Pysyk and Bogosian are between 3-5 defensemen.  Gorges could be traded and we need another horse on the PP and PK.  

tumblr_mk3bvjh3P51raloeqo1_1280.jpg

Lulz!

https://twitter.com/BillHoppeNHL/status/697966914799300609It wasn't Harrington. 

"Jamie McGinn, the popular, versatile F, scores his 12th. But please tell me his analytics are poor & he should be traded for a 3rd-rounder."

If the right team calls, you never know.  I still think he nets an interesting prospect of Murray's choosing or a mid-tier second round pick.  I don't think he warrants a 1st, as the only players that are rentals that can would/may be Stamkos.  Pushing it would possibly be Boedker (But really not worth it.)

I don't get the logic here. Head shots existed when fighting was much more prevalent. Why didn't fighting serve as a deterrent then? And we still have fighting. An instigator penalty, especially late in a blowout, is hardly going to stop anyone. It didn't stop McCabe. The league has to be the one to handle it. No one should have any confidence that will happen -- yet. I look at it as one thing at a time.

Agree 100% with PA here although I do not understand why the players association does nothing to address this culture. What is the rationale for protecting the aggressor, when the cost is indirectly encouraging future incidents?

I like a bit about this post.  I would disagree that the defense is the #1 priority.  While the forward depth is a problem.  Improving on depth will be much more important.  McCabe, Pysyk and Bogosian are between 3-5 defensemen.  Gorges could be traded and we need another horse on the PP and PK.  

Lulz!

If the right team calls, you never know.  I still think he nets an interesting prospect of Murray's choosing or a mid-tier second round pick.  I don't think he warrants a 1st, as the only players that are rentals that can would/may be Stamkos.  Pushing it would possibly be Boedker (But really not worth it.)

Gaustad netted us a first, never know maybe nashville likes McGinn :P

Edited by Huckleberry

Horrible game.   The Goals Against have been brutal the past two games for the Sabres.   Every good goalie has a bad game -  but now we have 2 in a row for Lehner, 

His GAA for the past 2 seasons in Ottawa with 61 games played was 3.04.  With the last two stinkburger games his GAA is up to 2.95;  which aligns with his previous stats.  

Is a 3.0 GAA goalie good enough for a team planning on hitting the playoffs in 2017?  Or is he just filler until somebody better comes along?  

Watch the hit again.  Catenacci needs to learn to keep his head up.

He was staring at the ice forever and really bent over such that his head was about belt high relative to any player on the ice.

Gudas did not make an exaggerated motion to elbow Catenacci, he did not leave his feet, he was not skating at him (just gliding).

Was there intent on the part of Gudas to hit Catenacci in the head or jaw?  Probably!  But good luck proving that.

Hits of this type used to be much more commonplace.

Scott Stevens is in the HOF and he looked to hit people more or less in this manner consistently throughout his 22 years in the league.

The predatory nature of it is striking. Scummy. The only thing that might save him is the old dinosaur attitude about "you gotta keep your head up, son."

Predatory?  Scott Stevens literally ended the career of one of the league's stars, Eric Lindros, because he saw him cutting into the center of the ice with his head down and thought: "Hey, I'm going to knock this guy out."

You know, like a predator.

No penalty on the play.

That sort of thing used to be called "hockey."

It used to be accompanied by the saying "Keep your head up, kid."

Watch the hit again.  Catenacci needs to learn to keep his head up.

He was staring at the ice forever and really bent over such that his head was about belt high relative to any player on the ice.

Gudas did not make an exaggerated motion to elbow Catenacci, he did not leave his feet, he was not skating at him (just gliding).

Was there intent on the part of Gudas to hit Catenacci in the head or jaw?  Probably!  But good luck proving that.

Hits of this type used to be much more commonplace.

Scott Stevens is in the HOF and he looked to hit people more or less in this manner consistently throughout his 22 years in the league.

Predatory?  Scott Stevens literally ended the career of one of the league's stars, Eric Lindros, because he saw him cutting into the center of the ice with his head down and thought: "Hey, I'm going to knock this guy out."

You know, like a predator.

No penalty on the play.

That sort of thing used to be called "hockey."

It used to be accompanied by the saying "Keep your head up, kid."

Yes, it used to be.  It isn't anymore.  It used to be ok to smoke cigars in the office, too.

How is Catenacci supposed to keep his head up when he's engaged with another player fighting for the puck, anyway?

The predatory nature of it is striking. Scummy. The only thing that might save him is the old dinosaur attitude about "you gotta keep your head up, son."

Absolutely.

Up 5-1 w/ less than 5 to go. Absolutely no need for that hit whatsoever. Extremely gratuitous headshot.

IF the league is serious about limiting concussions, it has to be addressed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.