Sabres @ Rangers 1/25/16, 7:30 PM on NBCS

LGR4GM

There will be lots of covering of tracks after this season from various posters, understandably. The record is somewhat predictable. To be so bad offensively... who saw that coming?

Hopefully starting with you and your army who thought that firing a good coach would solve the problem.

Glass houses, PA.  Now we have Bylsma.  Three coaches later...

So disappointing to lose yet again but on the bright side Eichel and Girgs looked great together and even Moulson looked less like a zombie out there.

If I'm angry at anything it would have to be the refs on the softer calls against us yet our guys were hacked and slashed with nothing called from it. 

Yes but Stepan's nose is disagreeing with your second comment. Actually I think that missed call on him led to make up calls by the refs which explains your second comment.

Love your first comment.

Our defense corps was really bad today, all around. Can't even blame Chad.

Forwards didn't look great either. Eichel and Girgs were good. Kane was good. He was the only one of our forwards consistently getting the puck deep into the Rangers zone. He's also always skating hard and putting in the effort. We need more guys to put in the effort he does. His statistics will improve further when our young talent progresses.

Silver lining is Eichel getting 2 points. But it's getting hard to watch so much losing! We seem to be a very streaky team.

Edited by Thorny

It's not crazy to actually be encouraged by where this team is at. I'm very encouraged for several reasons.

Jack Eichel has looked like a true franchise center piece at times and you can see why so many of us were drooling over McEichel. 5-13-18 in his last 17 games.

Sam Reinhart looks like a player who will earn his status as a top-five draft pick. The kids seem to really like each other, too.

Risto's development has been a HUGE positive. We need defense and we need offense from our defense. He's been significantly better.

Ryan O'Reilly looks like a true leader. One of the rare leaders that is consistent and willing to jump in front of a train for his team. Give him the C as soon as possible. Thank you, GMTM.

Pysyk and McCabe have been inconsistent but both seem to have a future in this league. Great news for filling out the back end.

And, obviously, progress has still been marginal all around which will likely lead to another high-end pick. Still not pulling for losses but they're not upsetting anymore as long as the team shows signs of being into it.

An odd one that I'm not totally convinced I feel but have thought about: the team's struggles are a good sign for GMTM and the brains of this organization. GMTM put a ton of work into this team but he warned everybody it wasn't going to be a major improvement. He didn't expect playoffs. While a ton of fans (even me) were expecting so much more GMTM was able to look at the roster and know there is still a lot of work to do. He didn't fool himself and didn't fool anybody. He told it how it was and how it is. He knows this roster needs work. He'll continue to work on it.

Two points out of 30th, this was not expected.

I'm sure Edmonton thought the same thing. But I think if McDavid doesn't get injured they would be close to a playoff spot in the west. He was leading all rookies before the injury. You look at Buffalo and these are the things that stand out to me. Ennis, Kane, Moulson all have been disappointing. Yes Kane has picked it up of late but I expected more from him. To me it just seems that they needed better play from their so called veterans.

There will be lots of covering of tracks after this season from various posters, understandably. The record is somewhat predictable. To be so bad offensively... who saw that coming?

F### that. I flat out thought they'd win a truckload more games. They won't reach my expectations. Part of that is optimism over bringing in Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, & Kane. Finding out McGinn can play, and expecting the bottom 2 D being worlds better (literally) than Messy Balls.

Reality is, Lehner going out in all probabilty hurt alot. Bylsma running the most bizarre combos ever didn't help, nor did driving O'Reilly into the dirt help either. And Ennis being nearly adequate when he plays isn't good and Moulson playing roughly as good as the 2nd best player on your average beer league team was a killer.

Truly sad part is, I'm only torqued about ~4 losses this year. The rest, at least they made it a game if they couldn't pull it out. My biggest disappointment is I've only made 6 games to date.

And there isn't 1 player that I'd consider a "whipping boy;" not even Moulson. I really enjoy watching this team grow. Regardlessof the outcomes. 1st truly fun team to watch since '07.

So, have fun calling me & others out. I can't wait until next year and will enjoy the rest of this year's ride. The destination's the goal, but the journey's what's memorable.

F### that. I flat out thought they'd win a truckload more games. They won't reach my expectations. Part of that is optimism over bringing in Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, & Kane. Finding out McGinn can play, and expecting the bottom 2 D being worlds better (literally) than Messy Balls.

Reality is, Lehner going out in all probabilty hurt alot. Bylsma running the most bizarre combos ever didn't help, nor did driving O'Reilly into the dirt help either. And Ennis being nearly adequate when he plays isn't good and Moulson playing roughly as good as the 2nd best player on your average beer league team was a killer.

Truly sad part is, I'm only torqued about ~4 losses this year. The rest, at least they made it a game if they couldn't pull it out. My biggest disappointment is I've only made 6 games to date.

And there isn't 1 player that I'd consider a "whipping boy;" not even Moulson. I really enjoy watching this team grow. Regardlessof the outcomes. 1st truly fun team to watch since '07.

So, have fun calling me & others out. I can't wait until next year and will enjoy the rest of this year's ride. The destination's the goal, but the journey's what's memorable.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Good stuff, Taro.

I am genuinely disappointed with where the team's at.

Based on what GM TM had said in the late preseason, we should've expected a finish in/around that 23 range. That would square with what Murray said. Sorry I can't dig it up. In effect, he said look for substantial improvement, while still being in the mix for a lottery pick (so, no playoffs).

It is difficult for me to watch Moulson.

Kane was supposed to bring more than a ton of shots. As often as not, I don't like his game.

Ennis's disappearance may hurt most of all.

That's 3 top 6 guys who are under performing or under delivering.

I enjoy the progress shown by younger studs and ROR (so tired). But I wanted 4 more wins at this point.

As for the call for people to cover their tracks (Good Lord): Sit on it, Potsie. It was fair and reasonable (and fun) to talk about this squad as a team on the rise in the standings. It hasn't happened. Because Moulson. Because Ennis. Maybe because Lehner. Because of some other stuff too.

But getting all smirky about alleged past Kool Aid drinking on the part of others here is some of the the weakest sauce that can be offered.

Here's the rookie tracker at NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm

Eichel is 3rd best in points, 3rd best in goals, and 4th best in points.   Jack's definitely the real deal.  

Ullmark is 4th best in GAA, and 5th best in SV%.    

So there's some great reasons to be positive about the future, right there.  The rookies ahead of them (Panarin, Larkin, et al)  play on significantly better teams (Chicago,  Detroit, etc)  which would greatly help one's stats.  

I wonder where McDavid would be, had he not gotten knocked out for most of the season?   Both Eichel and McDavid play on basically lousy teams,  so it would have been interesting to compare their stats over the season, as they would have comparable baseline situations.  

No. It's not about calling out people who were wrong. It's about the people who are already denying what their expectations were. You're not doing that. How many posters honestly thought the Sabres would be vying for another Carrion League title? Any? Yet they're creeping out of the woodwork. "It was to be expected." "That's what I figgered."

I recall him saying...we don't plan on finishing last again......

I don't think it was ever expected or stated by our F.O. that the Sabres would be flirting with last place in the league - again - especially well past the half-way point of the year.  

I think for the team to finish that low in the standings at the end of this season would be a major disappointment.    Again, no one (rational) expected them to be a playoff contender, but I think most expected they'd be an 80-85 point team.

They're improved from last two years, but they were intentionally tanking those years too, and were saddled with useless slugs like Leino and Hodgson.  A 70 point pace is a 2nd, or 3rd worst team in the league pace in the majority of seasons.         

Good stuff, Taro.

I am genuinely disappointed with where the team's at.

Based on what GM TM had said in the late preseason, we should've expected a finish in/around that 23 range. That would square with what Murray said. Sorry I can't dig it up. In effect, he said look for substantial improvement, while still being in the mix for a lottery pick (so, no playoffs).

It is difficult for me to watch Moulson.

Kane was supposed to bring more than a ton of shots. As often as not, I don't like his game.

Ennis's disappearance may hurt most of all.

That's 3 top 6 guys who are under performing or under delivering.

I enjoy the progress shown by younger studs and ROR (so tired). But I wanted 4 more wins at this point.

As for the call for people to cover their tracks (Good Lord): Sit on it, Potsie. It was fair and reasonable (and fun) to talk about this squad as a team on the rise in the standings. It hasn't happened. Because Moulson. Because Ennis. Maybe because Lehner. Because of some other stuff too.

But getting all smirky about alleged past Kool Aid drinking on the part of others here is some of the the weakest sauce that can be offered.

Hadn't had your coffee yet? I am calling for anyone to cover their tracks. Just own them.

Hopefully starting with you and your army who thought that firing a good coach would solve the problem.

Glass houses, PA.  Now we have Bylsma.  Three coaches later...

And you. I started to think maybe it was my wording, but it couldn't have been clearer. Covering tracks... maybe you city slickers don't get the reference. When you're in the woods and yer being stalked by a bear or squatch or whatever you go back and... never mind. Covering tracks would be me denying that I was anti-Lindy.

Lindy again? Really? Why can't you be happy that Lindy moved on and is doing well this season, finally? Change of scenery was good for him. It wasn't going to happen in Buffalo. I am not impressed with Bylsma but I am elated that Lindy's mitts (and whipping stick) are nowhere near these kids.

Our defense corps was really bad today, all around. Can't even blame Chad.

Forwards didn't look great either. Eichel and Girgs were good. Kane was good. He was the only one of our forwards consistently getting the puck deep into the Rangers zone. He's also always skating hard and putting in the effort. We need more guys to put in the effort he does. His statistics will improve further when our young talent progresses.

Silver lining is Eichel getting 2 points. But it's getting hard to watch so much losing! We seem to be a very streaky team.

Anyone who thinks goaltending is the problem isn't watching the games or doesn't understand what they are seeing. IT'S THE DEFENSE!!  This team is utterly helpless in their own end!!  Any team that establishes possession in our end looks like they are on a power play because we skate around like hamsters. This is my greatest disappointment. This is not even AHL-level defensive play. WTF is DDB doing with these guys?

There will be lots of covering of tracks after this season from various posters, understandably.

As for the call for people to cover their tracks (Good Lord): Sit on it, Potsie. It was fair and reasonable (and fun) to talk about this squad as a team on the rise in the standings. 

Hadn't had your coffee yet? I am [not] calling for anyone to cover their tracks. Just own them.

And you. I started to think maybe it was my wording, but it couldn't have been clearer. Covering tracks... maybe you city slickers don't get the reference. When you're in the woods and yer being stalked by a bear or squatch or whatever you go back and... never mind. Covering tracks would be me denying that I was anti-Lindy.

Okay. Well, I hadn't had my coffee, but I was more than half way through my morning constitutional. Your addition of "understandably" seemed to suggest that people should be covering their tracks because they were wrong and should now feel the shame. Or, it at least felt a little smirky. (As in: Ha! See?! Told you they'd suck.)

But I see what you're saying now. 

I didn't call for them to be a bubble or playoff team, but I did foresee them in that low 20-range. I won't be covering my tracks. Nor should anyone else. For my part, I'm too busy cheering them to victory, and getting somewhat genuinely irritated when they lose. It's sort of a good feeling, in its way.

IT'S THE DEFENSE!!  This team is utterly helpless in their own end!!  Any team that establishes possession in our end looks like they are on a power play because we skate around like hamsters. This is my greatest disappointment. This is not even AHL-level defensive play. WTF is DDB doing with these guys?

Interesting. I'll be looking at this more closely.

No. It's not about calling out people who were wrong. It's about the people who are already denying what their expectations were. You're not doing that. How many posters honestly thought the Sabres would be vying for another Carrion League title? Any? Yet they're creeping out of the woodwork. "It was to be expected." "That's what I figgered."

I honestly thought we'd be an 8th seed. We've been competitive enough to be one in all but a handful of games this season, so I'm okay with the outcome. If you're looking for people who initially said this was the season to get mad about outcomes, good luck. Most everyone knew this was the throwaway year, and as long as significant improvement came, they were okay with it. Significant improvement is evident everywhere but the standings, and that's alright with me. Taking away the 60+ goals I expected out of the combination of Ennis/Zemgus/Muolson really put a dent in my playoff plan

Edited by WildCard

I did not expect them to be in the hunt for DFL, however there is still plenty of hockey left to play.  I did think the Sabres were a dead cinch lock to be bottom 10 and I have a charity bet out there with someone (can't remember who    Assquatch) to prove it.  I will also remain consistent and think the best way forward for this team once the playoffs become impossible is to win the shart.  However, I will not actively root for them to do this as I did the past two seasons and am willing to just let the chips fall where they may.  This was always going to be another lottery season but I do understand the frustration.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I honestly thought we'd be an 8th seed. We've been competitive enough to be one in all but a handful of games this season, so I'm okay with the outcome. If you're looking for people who initially said this was the season to get mad about outcomes, good luck. Most everyone knew this was the throwaway year, and as long as significant improvement came, they were okay with it. Significant improvement is evident everywhere but the standings, and that's alright with me. Taking away the 60+ goals I expected out of the combination of Ennis/Zemgus/Muolson really put a dent in my playoff plan

People should be mad about outcomes so far. That's why I'm getting crotchety. Comparing this team to last year's team and saying it's better just doesn't fly. It doesn't make sense. This team is underperforming and people should ask why.

Okay. Well, I hadn't had my coffee, but I was more than half way through my morning constitutional. Your addition of "understandably" seemed to suggest that people should be covering their tracks because they were wrong and should now feel the shame. Or, it at least felt a little smirky. (As in: Ha! See?! Told you they'd suck.)

Understandable, not because they should cover their tracks, but because it's human nature. We've all covered our tracks on here at one time or another. I'm hardly covering mine or playing gotcha: I didn't think they'd suck!

People should be mad about outcomes so far. That's why I'm getting crotchety. Comparing this team to last year's team and saying it's better just doesn't fly. It doesn't make sense. This team is underperforming and people should ask why.

This is team is better than last years team, the stats show that and my eyes see it.  They don't have enough depth or offensive talent to win regularly.  I know why and where this team is and that is why I am not 'crotchety' about what they are doing. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This is team is better than last years team, the stats show that and my eyes see it.  They don't have enough depth or offensive talent to win regularly.  I know why and where this team is and that is why I am not 'crotchety' about what they are doing. 

Comparisons to last year's team should be banned. Your foresome dropped Lee Trevino and your gimp neighbor and added Rory McIlroy and the top college player in the U.S. And you're hitting two more greens in regulation. Who cares!!!! JFC I'm getting mad.

This team is underperforming and people should ask why.

I think many here have, and are doing so now. There's no shortage of potential answers, I think: Ennis MIA; Moulson falling off a cliff; Girgensons spinning his wheels; E. Kane playing as though he wished Ted Nolan were still the coach (NORTH! SOUTH! EVANDER GO THRU WALLZ!); not a whiff of a #1 goaltender; Hot Daniel's pairings; Hot Daniel's fondness for dump and chase.

And so on.

Comparisons to last year's team should be banned. 

I understand this sentiment, and tend to agree.

This team was intentionally horrific last season. The fact that they've improved from that doesn't advance the conversation, IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.