2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Great find, Brawndo - thank you.

My concern with Ennis has little to do with the concussion, and everything to do with how he fits on the roster. He has the skills of a complementary player (a very good one, but complementary nonetheless) with the play style of a primary player. Can he effectively adapt his game to being the 3rd best player on his line? The injury robbed us of the chance to see last year, but the short run returns prior to the injury weren't great.

Interesting observation. I think Ennis is adaptable and (hockey-)smart. Not that I hear he's healthy, I'm psyched to see what he can contribute to a team on the rise.

How does this work with the Steelheads "loaning" Nylander to Roch?

The Steelheads aren't doing anything. He's not their property. He was loaned to the Steelheads by his European club.

The Stars went through the same thing with Julius Honka but just sent him to the AHL and Swift Current had nothing to say about it. Honka did not get the nine-game tryout but there's nothing stopping Nylander from getting it.

I know there was a tweet saying the Steelheads will loan Nylander to Rochester, but everything I see strongly says they aren't actually doing anything and can't do anything in respect to Nylander's future.

Edited by Hoss

Ennis Reinhart Kane!

Ennis Reinhart Kane!

Kane would have to be on the left, so Ennis would have to play on his off side. He has done this before, though.

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Moulson - Girgensons - Bailey

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - Nilsson

I'm confident Bailey is ready and able to play third-line minutes in the NHL right now. I know many others aren't, but I'm willing to slot him in there.

Nylander probably gets a nine-game tryout and has the SKILL to play in the league but it's tough to imagine he's got the size or strength to do it.

Guhle and Casey Nelson both have shots to make the team and could slot into the bottom pairing over Gorges and/or Franson.

Carrier will probably get a look this year at some point on the left side.

If Lehner goes down I imagine Ullmark gets the call to start over Nilsson.

That's what I'm looking at barring any major changes.

But this is more less how I see things shaking out.

The Steelheads aren't doing anything. He's not their property. He was loaned to the Steelheads by his European club.

The Stars went through the same thing with Julius Honka but just sent him to the AHL and Swift Current had nothing to say about it. Honka did not get the nine-game tryout but there's nothing stopping Nylander from getting it.

I know there was a tweet saying the Steelheads will loan Nylander to Rochester, but everything I see strongly says they aren't actually doing anything and can't do anything in respect to Nylander's future.

But the Sabres could technically still send him back to Juniors, no?

So does that mean he's not subject to the 9 game limit?  Because that is what I have read elsewhere on here.  (Please don't ask me to find it.)

So does that mean he's not subject to the 9 game limit?  Because that is what I have read elsewhere on here.  (Please don't ask me to find it.)

The 9 games refers to an Entry Level Contract's ability to "slide". If an 18 or 19 year old player plays less than 10 NHL games, the ELC slides a year. AHL games do not count.

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Deslauriers

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - Nilsson

I'm confident Bailey is ready and able to play third-line minutes in the NHL right now. I know many others aren't, but I'm willing to slot him in there.

Nylander probably gets a nine-game tryout and has the SKILL to play in the league but it's tough to imagine he's got the size or strength to do it.

Guhle and Casey Nelson both have shots to make the team and could slot into the bottom pairing over Gorges and/or Franson.

I like these lines.  I think we need Moulson to step up or DDB will quickly give your line 4 line 3 minutes and that trio will end up with 8 minutes per night.  If that's the case I send Bailey back if and when that happens.

I'm very interested to see how Nylander does in what will likely be an initial 5-9 game tryout.  Seeing as he's in Roch I wouldn't mind giving him 3-4 games at the beginning of the season and saving a few games for later in the year.  That's permissible right?  As long as he stays under his 9 games his ELC doesn't kick in?

The 9 games refers to an Entry Level Contract's ability to "slide". If an 18 or 19 year old player plays less than 10 NHL games, the ELC slides a year. AHL games do not count.

He is subject to it because his contract can slide in Rochester but not Buffalo.

Got it; thanks.

I like these lines.  I think we need Moulson to step up or DDB will quickly give your line 4 line 3 minutes and that trio will end up with 8 minutes per night.  If that's the case I send Bailey back if and when that happens.

I'm very interested to see how Nylander does in what will likely be an initial 5-9 game tryout.  Seeing as he's in Roch I wouldn't mind giving him 3-4 games at the beginning of the season and saving a few games for later in the year.  That's permissible right?  As long as he stays under his 9 games his ELC doesn't kick in?

As long as his Junior season is done. Then he can come back up. Once a player is sent to Junior, though, they are there for the duration of the Junior season.

As long as his Junior season is done. Then he can come back up. Once a player is sent to Junior, though, they are there for the duration of the Junior season.

There used to be an emergency recall status. Dont know if it still exists. My fleeting memory is that John Tuckers 1st game as a Sabre was an emergency recall because the team had so many injuries. I think he had to go back ad soon as any player returned from injury.

Edited by We've

Yes but he can go to Rochester or Buffalo as much as he wants. Just gotta think about that 9 game ELC issue.  With him going to Rochester I think the only way he comes back up is if he earns it. IMPO April will not see young guys getting shots because we will be in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Edited by LGR4GM

Yes but he can go to Rochester or Buffalo as much as he wants. Just gotta think about that 9 game ELC issue.  With him going to Rochester I think the only way he comes back up is if he earns it. IMPO April will not see young guys getting shots because we will be in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Ya. I really think he'll be in Rochester for the duration of his season, after a potential 9 games with the big club.

How about this?

Kane ROR Reinhart

Ennis Jack Okposo

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Deslauriers

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - Nilsson

Hoss, We posted very similar lineups. However I placed Kane with ROR because I wanted someone with ROR's experience and personality to hold Kane accountable on every shift. I also swapped Okposo with Reinhart to give Jack a more experienced and more phyiscal player on his line to replace Kane. Aren't you worried about placing the small Ennis with the smallish Reinhart on Jack's line?

Hoss, We posted very similar lineups. However I placed Kane with ROR because I wanted someone with ROR's experience and personality to hold Kane accountable on every shift. I also swapped Okposo with Reinhart to give Jack a more experienced and more phyiscal player on his line to replace Kane. Aren't you worried about placing the small Ennis with the smallish Reinhart on Jack's line?

I don't think Kane is someone that needs to be held accountable on the ice.  Noone has ever criticized his on ice effort.  Dude lays it out there.

I don't think Kane is someone that needs to be held accountable on the ice.  Noone has ever criticized his on ice effort.  ande lays it out there.

His effort isn't the issue.  He does make the selfish play all too often.  The useless shot, the failure to pass etc etc.  Holding him accountable is as simple as an occasional "what are you seeing on that play?".  For that be needs to be held accountable for the sake of his career and the team. 

His effort isn't the issue.  He does make the selfish play all too often.  The useless shot, the failure to pass etc etc.  Holding him accountable is as simple as an occasional "what are you seeing on that play?".  For that be needs to be held accountable for the sake of his career and the team. 

That is a battle that can't be won.  He is what he is.  Put him with linemates that complement what he is, not try to make him something else.

If we could trade Franson, and sign Risto to 7yrs 5.5mil I'd try to trade our 1,2, and 3rd round picks for Lindholm. Then sign him to a 7 year 5.5mil contract

If someone offered a first, second, and third round pick for Ristolainen, would you make the trade? Especially if it was a team likely to draft between 10th and 20th overall?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.