2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Kane has value to us. The net difference between adding Fowler and subtracting Kane is a negative for us.

For what? For him to play on the 3rd line and protect Girgensons? Or to get arrested? I honestly see no value in him here other than hope and a low cap hit. Not only are we packed at forwards now, but we're still thin on the blue line. Kulikov solves little to nothing for us. Fowler is a need, Kane isn't even a benefit

Edited by WildCard

Minus 15 goals. And Fowler is the equivalent of McCabe defensively.

Where are you getting that number? 15?

He's not here to play McCabe's role, he's here to play a role that nobody on our team currently can. And he is a better player than McCabe

Edited by WildCard

For what? For him to play on the 3rd line and protect Girgensons? Or to get arrested? I honestly see no value in him here other than hope and a low cap hit. Not only are we packed at forwards now, but we're still thin on the blue line. Kulikov solves little to nothing for us. Fowler is a need, Kane isn't even a benefit

Saying Kulikov solves "little to nothing", when Murray brought him in to play a top 4 role, when he played big minutes last year as a left shot D, and very well in the playoffs, is completely unfair. He's filling a need. Sure, I'd love Fowler too. But Kulkov makes our team better than it was.

Saying Kulikov solves "little to nothing", when Murray brought him in to play a top 4 role, when he played big minutes last year as a left shot D, and very well in the playoffs, is completely unfair. He's filling a need. Sure, I'd love Fowler too. But Kulkov makes our team better than it was.

Agree.

Maybe I was a little harsh, but he still has a lot to prove for me. 

I just see a swap of a combination of our forwards for Fowler to be a perfect match. How many forwards did Anaheim let go yesterday? Send them Kane and Girgensons.

Hopefully they take Kane + picks or something like that. Ideally I only lose 1 forward here, but again, that's ideally. Ideally they give us Hampus for an Eichel autograph 

Kane will probably get ~20 goals from the third line, all while helping Larsson pin the other team's best offensive line in their own zone. How is that not a benefit?

Kane O'Reilly Okposo

Vesey Eichel Reinhart

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgesons Ennis (wasn't this our top line a few years ago?)

Deslauriers

Kulikov Ristolainen

Gorges Bogosian

McCabe Franson

Nelson

Lehner

Backup Goalie

Not a bad lineup but could definitely use some tweaking. Would love to move some of those "4th" liners for an upgrade at defense.

Vesey - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel  - Reinhart

Ennis- Larsson - Gionta

Girgnenson- Schaller- Foligno

Deslauriers

Kulikov  - Risto 

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Nelson

Franson (don't know how his concussion issues are though)

Lehner

Enroth

Edit: I even completely forgot about Moulson, damn he has a batlle ahead of him for a roster spot.

Edited by Huckleberry

Maybe I was a little harsh, but he still has a lot to prove for me. 

Hopefully they take Kane + picks or something like that. Ideally I only lose 1 forward here, but again, that's ideally. Ideally they give us Hampus for an Eichel autograph

Oh for sure. I agree, he has a lot to prove, especilly when it looks like we will be leaning on him hard.

Kane O'Reilly Okposo

Vesey Eichel Reinhart

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgesons Ennis (wasn't this our top line a few years ago?)

Deslauriers

Kulikov Ristolainen

Gorges Bogosian

McCabe Franson

Nelson

Lehner

Backup Goalie

Not a bad lineup but could definitely use some tweaking. Would love to move some of those "4th" liners for an upgrade at defense.

My forward lineup with Mr. Vesey is pretty close to this. I'd like to see:

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart

Kane - Larsson - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons - Deslauriers

Sans Vesey I'd like to try:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Ennis - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - Girgensons - Moulson

Like the look of the pure talent on line 2 in the first lineup, provided they could manage some defence. And line 3 could be quite effective with a guy like Kane there. Good depth.

In the second lineup, the top line would be exceptionally difficult to play against, and line two should feast on good matchups.

Don't think we need to add anything at forward beyond potentially Vesey. Both scenarios have Girgensons as a 4C which could be seen as a bit of a luxury considering our defence. So I could see him included in a package to add a D man, although short of Fowler popping lose, I'm not sure Murray wants to add there, as he seems okay with Kulikov, McCabe and Gorges on the left side, currently.

May just be looking at adds of Vesey, and a depth forward and defenceman. And obviously a backup goalie.

I know we've all penciled in Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart since Vesey's rights were acquired, but do we really think that's a good idea? Those are three players with a total of 169 games played and none of them are known to be outstanding defensive players. There's also not a lick of physicality there.

Reinhart and Eichel were so fun together, but if Vesey really wants/needs to play with Eichel it might be better to split them up and put Okposo on the other wing. Or if Vesey can play with O'Reilly then you can put Kane there. Or, the wet dream for some on the board, Girgensons goes to Eichel's wing.

We've got options. I'll play the game TB did above and mix and match a bit. His first lineup above with Larsson and Girgensons switched is the lineup I would probably piece together if I were to guess the lines Bylsma goes with.

If splitting up Eichel and Reinhart is a possibility then:

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Vesey - Eichel - Okposo

Foligno - Girgensons - Ennis

Deslauriers - Larsson - Gionta

If they would rather get Reinhart to center now and think O'Reilly's true long-term position is on the wing then this could be a possibility at some point:

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Ennis

Vesey - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Girgensons - Bailey?

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Revising my thoughts here and working under the assumption that Vesey isn't in our lineup because he's a free agent as far as I'm concerned. (No, I'm not drinking the negativity juice, just want to factor exclusively what we know we have)

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo
Foligno - Girgensons - Bailey
Moulson - Larsson - Gionta
Deslauriers

That's how I'm feeling as it currently stands. I'm not phenomenally confident that this mixed with our decent-but-not-great defense is getting us to the playoffs. I think it's a lineup that can compete with the big chunk of teams that will be vying for the last few spots, though.

Just sign or promote someone for 4th line center duty.

I gotta agree w/ We've on this one. Keep Larsson as the 3rd line center. Drop Girgensons to the 4th line. Sabres have depth at center. So play them, minus Reinhart, at center. 

Edited by GoPre

I gotta agree w/ We've on this one. Keep Larsson as the 3rd line center. Drop Girgensons to the 4th line. Sabres have depth at center. So play them, minus Reinhart, at center.

Then we arent agreeing.

Just sign or promote someone for 4th line center duty.

Ugh. No more Shallers and Ellises. Sign an actual NHLer.

Revising my thoughts here and working under the assumption that Vesey isn't in our lineup because he's a free agent as far as I'm concerned. (No, I'm not drinking the negativity juice, just want to factor exclusively what we know we have)

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Foligno - Girgensons - Bailey

Moulson - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers

That's how I'm feeling as it currently stands. I'm not phenomenally confident that this mixed with our decent-but-not-great defense is getting us to the playoffs. I think it's a lineup that can compete with the big chunk of teams that will be vying for the last few spots, though.

Yup we have the same top 2 lines, just a little bit of shuffling on lines 3 and 4. Think this is a good rough estimate to how it shakes out.

Looking at the lineup, adding Okposo seems to have been imperative. It's giving us some much needed additional skill in the top 6, a quality veteran presence to go with the youth.

Then we arent agreeing.

Ugh. No more Shallers and Ellises. Sign an actual NHLer.

Legwand ?

The more I think about it I don't think about it, Kane will have to make sure he can score at a top 6 LW pace.

Wouldn't be surprised that by november its looks like this.   But if Vesey signs with us everything changes again and someone will need to go.

Moulson - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Larsson  - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons  - Deslauriers.

The only thing is, Girgensons might find himself to be to good for a 4C ? Still prefer larsson on 3C though, better at face offs.

Edited by Huckleberry

Legwand ?

The more I think about it I don't think about it, Kane will have to make sure he can score at a top 6 LW pace.

Wouldn't be surprised that by november its looks like this. But if Vesey signs with us everything changes again and someone will need to go.

Moulson - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Larsson - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons - Deslauriers.

The only thing is, Girgensons might find himself to be to good for a 4C ? Still prefer larsson on 3C though, better at face offs.

So you'd demote Kane to the 3rd line in order to put Moulson on the top line? I don't see that as likely at all.

Since Vesey isn't signed (I still think he will be and I think we could sign him sooner if we give him permission to speak to anyone he wants for a week to expedite the process) I think Ennis gets the promotion from 4th line duties from my previous version.

Ennis O'Reilly Okposo

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Deslauriers Girgensons Moulson

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.