2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Revising my thoughts here and working under the assumption that Vesey isn't in our lineup because he's a free agent as far as I'm concerned. (No, I'm not drinking the negativity juice, just want to factor exclusively what we know we have)

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo
Ennis - Eichel - Reinhart
Foligno - Girgensons - Bailey
Moulson - Larsson - Gionta
Deslauriers

That's how I'm feeling as it currently stands. I'm not phenomenally confident that this mixed with our decent-but-not-great defense is getting us to the playoffs. I think it's a lineup that can compete with the big chunk of teams that will be vying for the last few spots, though.

And we have the oreo line! I like the setup for all 4 lines. Although might put Deslauriers ahead of Moulson. 

This pic of Bogo not only warms my heart but gets a little stirrings a little farther south. Damn that man is sexy.

Sooooo...is there enough loose skin left to blink? I like how the 4 and 7 blend together into a devil's horn.

Just in case Vesey doesn't sign

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/161747

I traded Franson for a 3rd 

And signed FAs

Pirri - 1 year (1.05mil) Go play with Girgs since you cant defend for your life

Weber - 1 year (1.8mil)  Welcome back, now be #7

Wisniewski - 1 year (2mil) Was good 2 years ago, was out all of last year

Anyone know what's up with Legwand? Did he retire? I'd still like him as forward #13-14 on a 1-year contract.

Here's my forward lineup (sans Vesey) to start the 2016-17 season:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - Girgensons - Moulson

With Vesey: I'd replace Ennis with him and then switch out Deslauriers for Ennis to create a very intriguing "redemption" energy line.

Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, and Nylander should all get call-ups during the season.

Kane has value to us. The net difference between adding Fowler and subtracting Kane is a negative for us.

I don't see much value in Kane. He has a decent speed and shot but his passing game is awful. Passes come often half a second too late or they are not very constructive. He takes penalties that are simply stupid. Some of them are just lazyness but most of them by lacking discipline. From what I have read he ain't the best person on or off the ice either.

With the money invested in Kane we could do better.

I don't see much value in Kane. He has a decent speed and shot but his passing game is awful. Passes come often half a second too late or they are not very constructive. He takes penalties that are simply stupid. Some of them are just lazyness but most of them by lacking discipline. From what I have read he ain't the best person on or off the ice either.

With the money invested in Kane we could do better.

He scored 20 goals last year in 3/4 of a season.  He is a deterrent to other teams running our young guys.  His other qualities that you cite have depressed his trade value, i.e. cap hit + behavior. To get rid of him now would be to sell at his lowest point.  The value he brings to us, scoring grit and top line speed is more valuable than a 7th d or pick.  Because that's what I think the market will bear for him.  If he redeems himself, personally and through evolution of his game, his trade value may go up.  But as it stands he is more valuable than the return he would bring.

And welcome.

Anyone know what's up with Legwand? Did he retire? I'd still like him as forward #13-14 on a 1-year contract.

Here's my forward lineup (sans Vesey) to start the 2016-17 season:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Deslauriers - Girgensons - Moulson

With Vesey: I'd replace Ennis with him and then switch out Deslauriers for Ennis to create a very intriguing "redemption" energy line.

Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, and Nylander should all get call-ups during the season.

I think Vesey signs with Boston.  Opening Night looks like this...

Okposo - O'Reilly - Moulson (they're gonna give Moulson a shot with his buddy Kyle to see if he can get things turned around)

Kane - Girgensons - Bailey

I think we have 3 scoring lines, and our best checking line from last year to be our 4th line.  If Moulson can regain some of his form, i would really like those lines.

I think Vesey signs with Boston. Opening Night looks like this...

Okposo - O'Reilly - Moulson (they're gonna give Moulson a shot with his buddy Kyle to see if he can get things turned around)

I think we have 3 scoring lines, and our best checking line from last year to be our 4th line. If Moulson can regain some of his form, i would really like those lines.

I've been advocating since last season that the Larsson line would be the best 4th line in the league. If they finally have the depth to do it, that would be outstanding. If Moulson isn't on a scoring line, he should be in Rochester or a healthy scratch.

I think we have 3 scoring lines, and our best checking line from last year to be our 4th line.  If Moulson can regain some of his form, i would really like those lines.

That could happen to start the season, but after about a month I predict Moulson gets dropped down to 4th line/healthy scratch. He's Leino 3.0, or Hodgson 2.0, in my eyes.

This is a very interesting lineup, but why did you take Okposo and Moulson out of their natural positions? Also I don't think CDB will play Ennis with Jack and Sam. GMTM and CDB have been pretty clear that they want a more physical presence on that line.

How about this?

Kane ROR Reinhart

Ennis Jack Okposo

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

Foligno Larsson Gionta

That could happen to start the season, but after about a month I predict Moulson gets dropped down to 4th line/healthy scratch. He's Leino 3.0, or Hodgson 2.0, in my eyes.

Aligning him with those two is pretty damming. He had two things those schmucks never did, effort and ability.

'18-19 lineup:

O'Reilly - Eichel - Nylander

Ennis - Reinhart - Okposo

Asplund - Girgensons - Bailey

Carrier - Larsson - Fasching

McCabe - Risto

Kulikov - Bogo

Guhle - Nelson

Lehner - Petersen

Don't want to derail the thread but I just wanted to piece something together based purely on what we have and the likelihood of things going forward. I would say you ideally land a LW for Eichel (Vesey?) that allows you to pair ROR with Reinhart and Okposo on the second line. That would move Ennis out of the lineup.

Petersen or Ullmark could easily be the backup. Lehner COULD be gone or the backup to Ullmark/Petersen.

I'm only using players we have so I'm thinking the best bet is for McCabe to develop into a top-pairing dman two years from now, but I think it's more likely Guhle is the long-term pair with Risto (just didn't want to project him to be that in two years). Kulikov could very well solidify himself as the long-term partner, too.

If you respond to this by saying "we're doomed if that's our defense" or "no way Asplund is a top-six winger by then" then please read. I did this only with players we have in our system. I also didn't take fit into account as much as likelihood of being top six or top four or whatever.

I think that lineup looks really good.

Like the look of line 1 and 2 for obvious reasons. Line 3 and 4 are very interesting because they would I think have the potential to be among the most effective in the league, particularly if Asplund reaches his ceiling.

Defence looks fine subject to the progression of McCabe, Guhle, Nelson

This is a very interesting lineup, but why did you take Okposo and Moulson out of their natural positions? Also I don't think CDB will play Ennis with Jack and Sam. GMTM and CDB have been pretty clear that they want a more physical presence on that line.

How about this?

Kane ROR Reinhart

Ennis Jack Okposo

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

Foligno Larsson Gionta

I think veterans like Moulson and Okposo can play any wing. I think that Ennis with Eichel and Reinhart, while not physical, is a very fast line. I really like Kane on a third line, and with Girgenson and Bailey, I see a lot of potential.

• 2 weeks later...

So is everybody comfortable with Nelson and Falk as our 7/8 defencemen?

Or should we be looking at a Seidenberg, Jackman, Weber, Bartkowski, Carle, Gormley, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff (to name the more prominent remaining UFAs) to fill the Carlo Colaiacovo role?

Or should we be looking at a Seidenberg, Jackman, Weber, Bartkowski, Carle, Gormley, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff (to name the more prominent remaining UFAs) to fill the Carlo Colaiacovo role?

I'd like Nelson to get some AHL time, I'd love to get Wisniewski cheap for a year. If not that then I'd bring Weber back for a year if cheap enough.

Don't see them challenging for Lord Stanley's challice this season. So don't see where #7/8 particularly matter.

I'd try Justin Schultz on a one year deal.  Right now with no NHL contracts coming his way, maybe he he'll sign here for 1.25 one year prove it contract.  I think he is a huge improvement over Franson.  He skates like the wind, creates offense and can run a PP.   He  would probably be a good pairing for Gorges on the third line.  Paired with Gorges, Schultz could have some freedom to add to the offense, while Gorges plays his simple stay at home game.

He needs work on the D side of things, but at 26 I think DD can teach him what he needs.  This allows Nelson to learn the pro game in the AHL and then you'd have the experienced Franson as the 7th D.  Frankly, I thought he did really well in Pitt in Sullivan's system.  I'm surprised they didn't bring him back.

McCabe Risto

Kulikov Bogo

Gorges Schultz

Franson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.