2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Kris Baker thinks Bailey and Fasching could battle it out for a spot on the roster in camp with Bailey being the more likely candidate.

He also said there's basically no chance Rodrigues makes the cut.

Thinks Guhle has a legitimate shot to make it out of camp.

So this hasn't changed much since the draft completed. Coming out of the draft we're looking at:

Ennis - O'Reilly - Kane

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Moulson - Larsson - Deslauriers

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - ???

Nothing too inspiring there. We still need a good upgrade on the wing for the top six (even if Vesey signs, ESPECIALLY if he doesn't). Obviously a Stamkos addition changes the whole look here.

True. But even if they don't land Stamkos, in 2 years Gionta & Moulson aren't in that lineup and at least 2 of Fasching, Bailey, Nylander, & Asplund are. (With Carrier & Baptiste in the wings.)

By '18-'19 they'll have one of the top 5 forward stables regardless of whether Stamkos is there. If Stamkos is included, it could be the best by then.

Kris Baker thinks Bailey and Fasching could battle it out for a spot on the roster in camp with Bailey being the more likely candidate.

He also said there's basically no chance Rodrigues makes the cut.

Thinks Guhle has a legitimate shot to make it out of camp.

That may be true but GMTM was wowed by Rodrigues' play when called up. Every championship contending team ends up with a surprise contributor that comes out of nowhere, you guessed McCabe last year, who knows who it could be this year.

We have a salary cap that is stagnant.  Half of the posters, or more, on this board want the Sabres to give Steven Stamkos 7 x $12M.  Just traded $1M for $4.5M on the blueline.  Reinhart, Eichel, Risto, etc. will have to get paid someday.  Might need a goaltender.  Definitely will need some defensemen.  Can't spend $2.5M on Marcus Foligno.

Completely agree with you there.  You move Foligno.  It wasn't ironic that Tim Murray said he hadn't been in contact with Foligno yet.  I find it as a likely scenario that he may be traded elsewhere for a mid round pick, should someone bite.  Send him to Columbus.  

I don't think McCabe came out of nowhere, though. He was a second-round pick and, I think, was pretty much a lock to get a roster spot out of camp.

Agreed although I'm not sure he was a lock to make roster out of camp.

Completely agree with you there. You move Foligno. It wasn't ironic that Tim Murray said he hadn't been in contact with Foligno yet. I find it as a likely scenario that he may be traded elsewhere for a mid round pick, should someone bite. Send him to Columbus.

There's no reason to talk to him. You qualify him, at which price he's a bargain, and give him one more year to prove his worth.

Edited by tom webster

Furthermore someone with Foligno's attributes can be replaced with someone like William Carrier.  Who may not play the same exact game, but should be more than capable of playing on the bottom line.  Rather than giving Foligno 2.5, you can use the 775K-900K.

That may be true but GMTM was wowed by Rodrigues' play when called up. Every championship contending team ends up with a surprise contributor that comes out of nowhere, you guessed McCabe last year, who knows who it could be this year.

I think Rodrigues has a puncher's chance to be a 4th liner. I like what he brings in a depth role.

I think Rodrigues has a puncher's chance to be a 4th liner. I like what he brings in a depth role.

I'm not really predicting anything for him(I may not live down my leading the Pysyk bandwagon) just saying two things;

1) I have three times heard GMTM mention Evan's play when called up

2) every contender seems to have its Tyler Johnson

I thought Bailey and Carrier both looked better as Amerks although Rodrigues did seem to look better in blue and gold.

Carrier I think has a shot too, and is a guy who probably deserves an opportunity. Bailey, though I think could be a 4th liner if his offense doesn't come together, I would prefer to see getting huge minutes in Rochester on the top line and only called up if we have to fill a scoring role.

A guy who doesn't get much attention for second-rounder is Carrier

He just seems like one of those solid bottom six soldiers to me.

If he hadn't been injured late we may have seen him in Buffalo for a few games and had a better sense of what he offered.

I liked him at development camp and the few times I've seen him for Rochester.

He gets good Ink too.

Bylsma has said that he sees the roster as 32 deep. With call ups for injury considered, each of the players not on the current big club roster are being groomed to fill needs as they arise.

I think it brings up an interesting question , who makes the big club and who slots in as a role player/callup?

Also, how will it break down? 18 F 10 D and 4 G? 

Assuming they add Stamkos and Vesey, this is how I could see the 32 possibly breaking down next year IMO.

Vesey Eichel Reinhart

ROR Stamkos Ennis

Kane Larsson Fasching

Foligno Girgensons Gionta

Moulson Schaller Bailey

Carrier OreillyCal Baptiste

Kulikov Risto

McCabe Bogo

Gorges Franson

Guhle Nelson

Martin Florentino

Lehner

Ullmark

Leiuwen

Kasdorf

So this hasn't changed much since the draft completed. Coming out of the draft we're looking at:

Ennis - O'Reilly - Kane

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Kulikov - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Lehner - ???

Nothing too inspiring there. We still need a good upgrade on the wing for the top six (even if Vesey signs, ESPECIALLY if he doesn't). Obviously a Stamkos addition changes the whole look here.

O'Reilly - Stamkos - Kane

Ennis - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Deslauriers

A certain upgrade and a legitimate top-six group there. It also makes it easier to ship out guys like Girgensons, Ennis and/or Folingo for another dman. It would have to be a cheaper dman because with Stamkos in the mix the cap management will start early and be tough going forward. Say we move Girgensons, Gorges and a 2017 pick for Marco Scandella (no idea if this is near value, just did it off the top of my head).

O'Reilly - Stamkos - Kane

Foligno - Ennis - Gionta

Scandella - Risto

Kulikov - Bogo

McCabe - Franson

Lehner

That's a lineup I'm feeling good about. Just a quick mockup and it'd be tough to pay all these players down the road. It'd also be tough to figure out the expansion draft (you'd obviously do 4-4-1 in this scenario).

Protect: Stamkos, O'Reilly, Kane, Ennis/Foligno/Larsson, Risto, Scandella, Kulikov and McCabe/Bogo.

Well thought out analysis. I will say though that I wouldn't call the first line-up uninspiring. With growth from the kids it could be a very formidable grouping in a short while, especially with Nylander on the way. Basically echoing Taro's post.

The line-up WITH Stamkos, more than feeling good about, I see the forward corps as having a good chance of being among the league's very best, if not THE best. Eichel in his prime as a second line centre would be bonkers.

I could see Foligno becoming a cap casualty of the Sabres sign Stamkos. Murray mentioned role players making a few million per season would need to be replaced with players on ELCs

I think Kane is the odd man out if we sign Stammer.

Given Murray's "Stamkos is a centre" should we not be expecting he and Jack to play Malkin/Crosby to ROR's Staal?

(On the odd chance hell freezes and the Leafs and Wings decline his services)

Do you think we only have a chance at Stamkos if those 2 teams decline? Maybe I missed something, not up to date on the Stamkos thread yet.

Do you think we only have a chance at Stamkos if those 2 teams decline? Maybe I missed something, not up to date on the Stamkos thread yet.

No, I think our chances are as good as anyone's.

It was a shot at the Internet mouth-breathers who still perceive the city as a sewer and the team a tire fire.

Very conservative roster for the upcoming season

Kane-ROR-Ennis

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Girgs-Fasching/Bailey

Deslauries-Larsson-Gionta

Moulson

Kulikov-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Gorges-Nelson

Irwin-Rozsival

Lehner

Johnson

Franson to LAK for a 3rd in 2017

Irwin and Rozsival make a total of 1.9mil between them. Rozsival has multiple cups and would merely be around for that. Irwin was an analytics darling when he was in SJ so  why not try to replace Pysyk to an extent. 

Wookie, Rosival needs a walker and a flashing light on the back of his helmet.  He is destined for a post hockey career as traffic pylon.  Hes toast and not worth even considering.

Would you rather have Zidlicky? Not many Righties we can leave as an 8th Dman/ sent to AHL.

Very conservative roster for the upcoming season

Kane-ROR-Ennis

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Girgs-Fasching/Bailey

Deslauries-Larsson-Gionta

Moulson

Kulikov-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Gorges-Nelson

Irwin-Rozsival

Lehner

Johnson

Franson to LAK for a 3rd in 2017

Irwin and Rozsival make a total of 1.9mil between them. Rozsival has multiple cups and would merely be around for that. Irwin was an analytics darling when he was in SJ so  why not try to replace Pysyk to an extent. 

I wouldn't sign Rozsival.  He's old and slow.  Irwin could be an interesting minor add. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Would you rather have Zidlicky? Not many Righties we can leave as an 8th Dman/ sent to AHL.

We don't need to add anyone. Rudy, Martin or whoever else we have can be the 8th man, but for the sake of all things holy No Rozival

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.