Grigorenko update

\GoBillsInDallas/

Yup.

Even I, who was one of his biggest supporters around here, am forgetting that he was ever a Sabre.  Especially considering who he helped land in Sabreland.

Unless the guy has learned how to skate since the trade, I'm really finding it hard to care.

Yes, I thought his skating was that bad. He made Vanek look like Geoff Sanderson.

Unless the guy has learned how to skate since the trade, I'm really finding it hard to care.

Yes, I thought his skating was that bad. He made Vanek look like Geoff Sanderson.

In the linked article it seems that Patrick is on the same page as you.

Are you Patrick Roy?

Oh come on, the last year with us his skating had improved a lot.   He just needs to find offense, his defensive game is solid, he is rarely on the ice when colorado gets scored upon.   His +/- is at 6 wich is 2nd best in colorado.    Normally I wouldn't care much about that stat, but on one of the worst teams in the west that means something.

Can only hope Colorado dumps him so murray can pick him back up, a 3rd line of Grigorenko - larsson - Girgensons would be lovely.   Hell I'd trade Moulson for him right now.

Oh come on, the last year with us his skating had improved a lot. He just needs to find offense, his defensive game is solid, he is rarely on the ice when colorado gets scored upon. His +/- is at 6 wich is 2nd best in colorado. Normally I wouldn't care much about that stat, but on one of the worst teams in the west that means something.

Can only hope Colorado dumps him so murray can pick him back up, a 3rd line of Grigorenko - larsson - Girgensons would be lovely. Hell I'd trade Moulson for him right now.

GMTM would laugh in his agents face. Kids a clown.

GMTM would laugh in his agents face. Kids a clown.

You are being to harsh, he has been doing fine in Colorado, just stuck because roy prefers to showcase Tanguay for the trade deadline.

How is Zemgus doing better this year ?  been good defensively, so has grigorenko.   Both are lacking offense at the moment.

Edited by Huckleberry

You are being to harsh, he has been doing fine in Colorado, just stuck because roy prefers to showcase Tanguay for the trade deadline.

How is Zemgus doing better this year ? been good defensively, so has grigorenko. Both are lacking offense at the moment.

Gus has at least shown he can play on the leaggue. I'm not sure Grigs ever will.

Zemgus starts in the defensive zone 54.3% of the time. Grigorenko 46.7% of the time.

Zemgus has a 47.3% Rel Corsi and Grigorenko has a 44.4% Rel Corsi this season. Both have played 40 games this season but Zemgus has clocked 156.5 more minutes of ice time. 

Judging from their ice time and zone starts, I would guess Zemgus is playing against tougher competition.  This coupled with their Rel Corsi comparison leads me to believe that Zemgus Grigensons is playing better hockey this season against tougher competition than Mikhail Grigorenko.  In addition I see that Colorado has scored 129 goals as compared to 105goals for Buffalo.  This takes into account Grigorenko's higher A/per60 and makes me wonder is his higher because of his playmaking or is Buffalo lacking so much secondary scoring that it has actually deflated Zemgus's A per 60.  I can't answer this question at the present time.

My conclusion is that while Grigorenko and Zemgus share similar offensive outputs on the season they are being asked and playing different roles on their respective teams. Zemgus is not being used as an offensive weapon this season where Grigorenko is being used more on the offensive.  As such I believe that Zemgus is still the better hockey player. While Grigorenko has an excellent shot and some good vision, he still lacks the ability to maintain possession and be an offensive driver.  In short while on paper they look similar due to production, that is not near the actual case.

I remember someone talking about Grigorenko in a non related thread. When I asked why anyone cares how he is doing a reply said because he is a former Sabre. I will keep that in mind in the Where is Steve Oct and All About Enroth threads. Grigs is a player who won't pan out like everyone thought and we fleeced the Avs. Unless he scores 50 goals who cares what he brings to the Avs. I'm sure it's more than he brought to the Sabres other than ROR.

I remember someone talking about Grigorenko in a non related thread. When I asked why anyone cares how he is doing a reply said because he is a former Sabre. I will keep that in mind in the Where is Steve Oct and All About Enroth threads. Grigs is a player who won't pan out like everyone thought and we fleeced the Avs. Unless he scores 50 goals who cares what he brings to the Avs. I'm sure it's more than he brought to the Sabres other than ROR.

Wasn't expecting someone start a new thread about him, wouldn't do it myself.   But when he was with the sabres this was the kid I wanted to break out this year.   Always liked the kid and guess I'm one of few sabres fans who did.

How is Zemgus doing better this year ?  been good defensively, so has grigorenko.   Both are lacking offense at the moment.

Grigorenko is not doing fine in COL, he's been avg under 10 mins a game for the last month, is now being a healthy scratch, he is not trending up and isn't showing he can score in the NHL 

28 is having a bad year, no one can dispute that. But has shown way more Offense that grigenko has ever shown at the NHL level.  

Edited by Patty16

I've watched the Avs quite a bit and Grigo has mostly been used as a defensive "stopper" of sorts on the 3rd/4th line. He has the size to do okay in that role if he embraces it. But, obviously that's not what was envisioned of a first round pick. But, this trade was all about Zadorov and Compher. I'd still take Grigo over Hodgson any day!

I've watched the Avs quite a bit and Grigo has mostly been used as a defensive "stopper" of sorts on the 3rd/4th line. He has the size to do okay in that role if he embraces it. But, obviously that's not what was envisioned of a first round pick. But, this trade was all about Zadorov and Compher. I'd still take Grigo over Hodgson any day!

Grigo as a shutdown guy? Yeesh.

And that is really damning with faint praise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.