The FNC has become a morgue

Marvelo

I agree with the premise of this thread.  In the past I went to a handful of games every year (sometimes even more), but I don't anymore.

-I don't like the game as much. The NHL can say low scoring games with end-to-end action are great, but I like SCORING.  Give me goals. Period.

-Experience at home is a lot better. Growing up, we watched standard def games on a 19 or 25 inch TV (at best). Now, high def games in the living room on the 55 or 65" screen is great for most people.

-They are too expensive. If the game wasn't on TV, or if we were watching it on a crappy small TV, I'd want to go in person...but for many of us, the increased cost of the game does not justify the experience vs watching at home.

-Others have made a point I kinda agree with. It seems the games these days is less about going to it to watch the game...and more about 'a thing to do'.  You are getting less "hard core" fans that only care about the game and team...and more people who are casual fans who are going to hang out at the bar....or leave early if the team is losing...of talk to those they go to the game with about topics other than hockey.  Those customers bring in more revenue, but they don't always add much to the game experience.

-I do think the Arena is fine, but compared to other new ones around the league, it is average at best.

I agree with the premise of this thread.  In the past I went to a handful of games every year (sometimes even more), but I don't anymore.

-I don't like the game as much. The NHL can say low scoring games with end-to-end action are great, but I like SCORING.  Give me goals. Period.

-Experience at home is a lot better. Growing up, we watched standard def games on a 19 or 25 inch TV (at best). Now, high def games in the living room on the 55 or 65" screen is great for most people.

-They are too expensive. If the game wasn't on TV, or if we were watching it on a crappy small TV, I'd want to go in person...but for many of us, the increased cost of the game does not justify the experience vs watching at home.

-Others have made a point I kinda agree with. It seems the games these days is less about going to it to watch the game...and more about 'a thing to do'.  You are getting less "hard core" fans that only care about the game and team...and more people who are casual fans who are going to hang out at the bar....or leave early if the team is losing...of talk to those they go to the game with about topics other than hockey.  Those customers bring in more revenue, but they don't always add much to the game experience.

-I do think the Arena is fine, but compared to other new ones around the league, it is average at best.

Good post.

Johan Larsson's random fight had the crowd stirring last night too. Despite the decline in scraps through the last few years the fans still like to see them, especially if the home team players wins or at least lands a couple while not getting his ass kicked (so Mike Weber need not apply). Hell, I get on my feet even if it's Weber getting pummeled to the ice because at least something's happening.

My Dad used to do marketing research for the Knox's back in the 70s and 80s (some of you may remember doing surveys about the Sabres in exchange for swag). And, one of the findings of the surveys was fans at that time really enjoyed fighting. And, roughly 3% of fans preferred fighting to scoring.

If fighting is so bad for the game, why do fans get up out of their seats and cheer when they see a fight?

Look at the Florida Panthers. Anyone who has watched them has seen the empty seats...thousands and thousands of them. You can hear a pin drop. But now the team's kicking ass and the fans are coming back. It's actually a lively place now.

Edited by Marvelo

i've been a Sabres fan since the first season (thanks for teaching right from wrong, dad).  i agree with almost everything in this thread, but i'm no longer interested in fighting. 

i do agree that the NHL is dull as hell, and it pisses me off that Bettman pretends it isn't.   I'm becoming very disenchanted with the team and the sport, and i know I'm not alone.

But there is something about that building that just sucks the energy out of the crowd.  And personally, I think it goes back beyond 2010 or 2007.  Hell, i remember sitting there for two stanley cup games in 99 and thinking "it should be louder in here." 

I won't pretend to know anything about accoustics, maybe that is part of it.  It sure doesn't help that the team blows again.  I wasn't expecting playoffs, but i was expecting better than this. 

Seeing thousands of fans cheering for the opponent night after night is a buzzkill also. 

Also, at the risk of contradicting myself, the recent games in Chicago in Winnipeg proved that a new building doesn't have to mean no energy.  Those are loud exciting buildings and they were two of the fastest-paced games we've seen all year.

And just as I have zero faith in Bettman to improve the product, i have zero faith in Russ "Train Horn" Brandon to make the experience inside the arena any better.  I think about what it was like in the late 70s when my parents used to take me once or twice a year and it makes me mad/sad that my kids will never get to experience that.

i've been a Sabres fan since the first season (thanks for teaching right from wrong, dad).  i agree with almost everything in this thread, but i'm no longer interested in fighting. 

I know it is unpopular to say, but I agree with you.  I care 95% less about a fight in hockey now than I did in the past.  If I could see 1-2 more goals per game, I would EASILY give up all fighting in hockey.

On those rare occasions we do see a game with more 6 or 7 (or more) goals that is a back-and-forth game...I never walk away from a game like that and wish for more fights.  I just want to see more goals.

Any lack of interest in the NHL that I have...any game I turn off early is not due to the lack of fighting, it is due to the lack of scoring.

Turn off the wifi, disrupt cell service. People who go to games and spend it on their phones are idiots. If I offended you because you do this, you are an idiot.

True statement

I wonder if it's a long time season ticket holder problem? Serious question, does anyone who goes to the games regularly have any long time season ticket holders near them? Are you one? Do they/you cheer with vigor when your home team makes a great play or scores a goal? Or is it a golf clap and continue on with what you were doing? I only go to 1 (away) game a year most years but if I'm in Buffalo during the season maybe 2-3. I can say that San Jose fans seem engaged most of the time although the Sabres have beaten them the last 2 years in their barn so they haven't been pleased, hehe.

Turn off the wifi, disrupt cell service. People who go to games and spend it on their phones are idiots. If I offended you because you do this, you are an idiot.

Truth! The end. :worthy:

Its an easy fix, PLAY BETTER HOCKEY AND WIN GAMES

There are plenty of other rinks in the league that are loud and rocking, the difference is those teams are actually fun to watch and not in the league basement AGAIN

Those fans also have cell phones, it doesn't make them quiet and its just an excuse by people who think fans should have to sit through and cheer on the rough years to get to the good ones. In todays league you don't have to hit sub rock bottom to build a team thats fun to watch and competitive.

But until they decide to WIN games instead of rebuilding, fans in attendance will have an attitude of "Zero Fcks Given" about the game

I watch a lot of games at my local watering hole and seldom do they have the sound on. Hawks, Bulls Bears and if not a Chicago team, they play music. Last night the game went head to head with Hawks/Leafs. The people around me were very interested in the game. There was action, there was a fight, shots, and a quick pace. Without the sound you are required to watch what's happening without anyone narrating it for you. I didn't like the result but it was good entertainment. I think the posters who commented about the event aspect are spot on. If you don't know or appreciate what you are watching then the extracurricular events are more alluring. The United Center after the anthem is a morgue but for the Jumbotron and Chelsea Dagger. The fans are recent and many couldn't tell you who Keith Magnuson was.

The FNC has become an uninspired morgue to be playing in. The players must feel it. Everything about it is dead. The only time it seems to come to life is when it’s artificially resuscitated with either a goal or one of the incessant attempts to pump up the crowd with lights or music or artificial crowd noises I suspect.

The whole game experience has got to be changed from top to bottom. The crazed fans are there but the experience is deadening. Any ideas?

More beer...

Seriously though, I too have noticed a lack of crowd noise during the games. We have a young team to be proud about. I'm sure the energy level on the ice would get a boost from some life in the stands. It shouldn't take a goal for people to get out of their seats and cheer these guys on.

Go Sabres!

The other aspect is the idea that the experience should be family friendly. The Aud back in the day was full of looney hardcore fans who didn't hold anything back. With more kids in attendance, decorum has muted that element.

I went to the Caps game there last month when I was in town visiting.   It's been probably 10 years since I've been to a home game.    Something about the arena was depressing... just a dark environment in general, dark hallways, etc... and quiet as a library during the game.    Not sure if there's just something off with the aesthetics of the building, or if it's just because the team isn't very good yet.    

The problem is the lack of drama in the game. Goals come too randomly off of lucky bounces and random deflections rather then set plays and odd man rushes. The average fan has no idea when something exciting is going to happen at any point in the game and thus it becomes mundane to randomly cheer throughout the game because most likely a shot will be blocked, the puck will get tied up in a corner, or the home team will lose possession. 

My solution is for the league to start calling penalties again. 

When a penalty is called, whether it be for the home team or the away team, the average fan immediately understands that for the next two minutes (or less) something is about to go down. Prolonged possession, scoring chances, incredible saves, players diving to the ice to block a shot or reach a puck, are all things that happen regularly when there is a power play and all incite the fan base from both teams to cheer or hold their breath in anticipation. 

Random thought: when was the last time the Sabres played a game at the FNC with something riding on it? Where there was anticipation behind it, and something tangible depending on the outcome?

The infamous game against Arizona that made Mike Weber nine kinds of sad. As I recall, no shortage of atmosphere for that game. As singular as that situation was, it tells me it's not the fans who are the problem. Simple solution. Put a product on the ice worthy of getting excited about, and people will get excited about it.

Random thought: when was the last time the Sabres played a game at the FNC with something riding on it? Where there was anticipation behind it, and something tangible depending on the outcome?

The infamous game against Arizona that made Mike Weber nine kinds of sad. As I recall, no shortage of atmosphere for that game. As singular as that situation was, it tells me it's not the fans who are the problem. Simple solution. Put a product on the ice worthy of getting excited about, and people will get excited about it.

Game 6 in 2011, especially when we got that 2-0 lead.

Scoring goals sure helps the volume.

The games I've attended the last few years (Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) have seemed quieter than in the 80's and 90's.

The newer rinks don't have the same feel as the old claustrophobic barns. Another factor is the economics of the game. There are fewer blue collar fans at the games, they've been priced out of attending games. It's a once or twice a year occasion for most families.

Crowd seems to be making plenty of noise tonight. And we're winning 3-0. Who woulda thunk it.

Edit: beaten to the snark by seconds :(

I didn't hear the crowd making noise last night. There were a couple half hearted lets go buffalo chants and then Marcus got a good cheer.

When Foligno and Wilson were talking to one another in the penalty box, Wilson mocked Foligno's pump up the crowd celebration. It cracked me up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.