The FNC has become a morgue

Marvelo

The issues have already been discussed before but things like increasing scoring, fights, cheaper tickets, and cheaper beer would all go a long way to a livelier atmosphere.

It's a goddamn travesty that a dozen or more goalies are putting up Hasek like numbers thanks to the style of play and the big pads. Scoring needs to be far more prevalent along with improving the flow of the game. Offsides should be way less prevalent and they should find a way to stop overturning goals and stopping the game flow for ticky tack infractions. Make the damn line 5 feet wide or get rid of the neutral zone altogether and just have the center ice line determine it. The average scoring play consists of getting the puck back to the point, screening the goalie, and trying to jam in a loose puck that squirts free because the average goalies covers 80% of the net with ease. This play happens 20 or so times a game for each team but with the vast majority leading to nothing but a clearing of the puck so it's tough to get excited for it when it usually leads to nothing and to top it off when someone finally does score most people no longer want to celebrate because you still have to hold your breath and hope the goal doesn't get overturned because 45 seconds earlier somebody wasn't offsides by 3 mm that could only be determined by looking at replays from various angles in high definition for umpteen minutes while the fans wait to see if one of the few exciting moments in the game even counts.

Edited by Drunkard

The issues have already been discussed before but things like increasing scoring, fights, cheaper tickets, and cheaper beer would all go a long way to a livelier atmosphere.

It's a goddamn travesty that a dozen or more goalies are putting up Hasek like numbers thanks to the style of play and the big pads. Scoring needs to be far more prevalent along with improving the flow of the game. Offsides should be way less prevalent and they should find a way to stop overturning goals and stopping the game flow for ticky tack infractions. Make the damn line 5 feet wide or get rid of the neutral zone altogether and just have the center ice line determine it. The average scoring play consists of getting the puck back to the point, screening the goalie, and trying to jam in a loose puck that squirts free because the average goalies covers 80% of the net with ease. This play happens 20 or so times a game for each team but with the vast majority leading to nothing but a clearing of the puck so it's tough to get excited for it when it usually leads to nothing and to top it off when someone finally does score most people no longer want to celebrate because you still have to hold your breath and hope the goal doesn't get overturned because 45 seconds earlier somebody wasn't offsides by 3 mm that could only be determined by looking at replays from various angles in high definition for umpteen minutes while the fans wait to see if one of the few exciting moments in the game even counts.

Regarding offsides, as long as offsides is on the books (and it should stay on the books IMHO), regardless of where the line is & the mechanics of how it is called, there is always going to be a go/no go demarcation and players will push that line to try to gain an edge.

I'm ok w/ having a review of offsides, but the review process needs to be adjusted to only have "clearly" offsides plays called offsides on review. There are essentially just as many (one has to believe logically) good entries called offsides as there are offsides plays initially called good. There is no proposed method to address that. I've a thought on how it could be addressed, but wouldn't want to see it implemented because it would futher delay the game, so I won't even propose it.

Regarding offsides, as long as offsides is on the books (and it should stay on the books IMHO), regardless of where the line is & the mechanics of how it is called, there is always going to be a go/no go demarcation and players will push that line to try to gain an edge.

I'm ok w/ having a review of offsides, but the review process needs to be adjusted to only have "clearly" offsides plays called offsides on review. There are essentially just as many (one has to believe logically) good entries called offsides as there are offsides plays initially called good. There is no proposed method to address that. I've a thought on how it could be addressed, but wouldn't want to see it implemented because it would futher delay the game, so I won't even propose it.

I understand that players will push the edge no matter where the line is placed but scoring is already low and allowing the few goals that are scored to be overturned just kills a big chunk of the joy out of it. Football does the same thing. Touchdowns used to be way more exciting a now I find myself looking for flags instead of celebrating. It leads to less enjoyment of the game for many of us and it shows in the arena. None of these leagues will care until it starts showing on the balance sheet though. Hopefully it will soon and they make improvements.

I used to pay full price for Sunday Ticket and Center Ice. Then I only bought them when I got a big dsicount from Directv. Now I threaten to cancel service without free Sunday Ticket and I don't even bargain over Center Ice I just illegally stream it. I used to watch every hockey game now I watch maybe 1/3 of them. The product is going down hill fast when I'd rather watch something online or on Netflix that I could literally watch any other time. I've got matching Bills and Sabres tattoos on my shoulders and I'd rather rewatch an episode of Shameless, Ash vs the Evil Dead, or Vikings that I've already seen to get my buddy caught up than put on the game. I'm definitely not the only one whose enthusiasm has dropped as evidenced by this thread.

Edited by Drunkard

The problem is the lack of drama in the game. Goals come too randomly off of lucky bounces and random deflections rather then set plays and odd man rushes. The average fan has no idea when something exciting is going to happen at any point in the game and thus it becomes mundane to randomly cheer throughout the game because most likely a shot will be blocked, the puck will get tied up in a corner, or the home team will lose possession. 

My solution is for the league to start calling penalties again. 

When a penalty is called, whether it be for the home team or the away team, the average fan immediately understands that for the next two minutes (or less) something is about to go down. Prolonged possession, scoring chances, incredible saves, players diving to the ice to block a shot or reach a puck, are all things that happen regularly when there is a power play and all incite the fan base from both teams to cheer or hold their breath in anticipation. 

This is the first time I've heard this perspective with respect to anticipating exciting events. Very interesting. I will agree that the game has become too dependent on random "puck luck" type plays. Even the best shooters can't seem to beat the goalie cleanly anymore - which is a problem.

Noticed that this came from a new poster too - welcome!

One week from today, I will attend my first Sabres game in Buffalo since March, 2003 (I believe; Hasek's first game in Buffalo, post trade). Coincidentally, I'm seeing Detroit, once again. I saw many in the building before moving south in 1997 and many more in the Aud.

I am very interested in the experience. I grew up with the standing room only frenzy of the Aud. I was tangentially involved in conversations around new arena concepts in the 1990s and sensed sterility, even then. I've been to other "new" arenas since. They're all more sterile than the old. Such is life. FNC sounds, from comments here and from broadcasts, like one of the most changed experiences. I believe it's equal parts game and venue. We'll see! "One, two, three ... WE WANT FOUR and We Want Ray!"

Pre-game spaghetti parm at Chefs! If that's the same, I'm happy!

Anyone going who wants a beer, PM me. I will not be organizing a militia or wearing a white powdered wig.

It's still the same. I hope you brought a wheelbarrow to roll you down Perry to the game after eating that feast.

It's still the same. I hope you brought a wheelbarrow to roll you down Perry to the game after eating that feast.

I infer that Eichel and Legwand (and maybe others) also do their pre-game meals at Chef's.

I suspect they keep it a bit ... lighter? I am always so damn sleepy (and happy) when I leave that place.

I infer that Eichel and Legwand (and maybe others) also do their pre-game meals at Chef's.

I suspect they keep it a bit ... lighter? I am always so damn sleepy (and happy) when I leave that place.

Is that where they go? I know it was mentioned in an article earlier this week, but the specific place was never mentioned.

I sure couldn't play a sport after all that cheese and sauce.

Your friends will get over it if you don't communicate with them during the game. And how about communicating with the people around you? All that talking would (and used to) create a din that actually makes it sound like there are people at the game.

Maybe in today's world, there should be a rule in place where if you have to communicate with people using your thumbs, you have to have the volume all the way up on your phone and that clicking sound when you type turned on. The din of 20 thousand people clicking away will replace the din of people actually talking.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm referring to things like trying to track down friends in the arena during intermissions and stuff. Maybe a friend I haven't seen in a long time is at the game and we want to chat real quick? Maybe a fellow Sabrespacer is there? 

You can't just disconnect things. That doesn't solve the problem. "Let's turn the arena into a bunker with no access to the outside world for 3 hours, that'll make a terrible Sabres team more fun!"  :rolleyes:

Is that where they go? I know it was mentioned in an article earlier this week, but the specific place was never mentioned.

I sure couldn't play a sport after all that cheese and sauce.

I think so. Could be wrong, but I think so. The article specifically mentioned a meal of "good carbs" (whatever those are). And I've heard others say that, in seasons prior to this one, they've seen Sabres at Chef's in the early, mid-afternoons of game days.

My guess: The players avoid those cheese add-ons, go light on the sauces, skip the breading on any cutlets, etc.

Crissake. I sound like Chris Drury circa 2006.

The problem is the lack of drama in the game. Goals come too randomly off of lucky bounces and random deflections rather then set plays and odd man rushes. The average fan has no idea when something exciting is going to happen at any point in the game and thus it becomes mundane to randomly cheer throughout the game because most likely a shot will be blocked, the puck will get tied up in a corner, or the home team will lose possession. 

My solution is for the league to start calling penalties again. 

When a penalty is called, whether it be for the home team or the away team, the average fan immediately understands that for the next two minutes (or less) something is about to go down. Prolonged possession, scoring chances, incredible saves, players diving to the ice to block a shot or reach a puck, are all things that happen regularly when there is a power play and all incite the fan base from both teams to cheer or hold their breath in anticipation.

Not sure how I missed this earlier, but the first paragraph absolutely nails it.

They've coached the drama right out of the game.

One of the reasons the NHL keeps switching from 5 on 5 to 4 on 4 to 3 on 3 is that the players have become too big for the alotted ice.  You have all the clogging up with the collisions but with all the clutter, there's very little room to skate or work a play.

What really needs to be done IMO is the the ice surfaces must be enlarged. But I think ultimately Bettman, who has never played hockey, can't understand this and he'll keep switching back and forth cluelessly re-arranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

For the most part, it's not fun to watch. The great plays are too far between and our players are just not skilled enough at this point to pull it off with any consistency.

One of the major reasons for the morgue-like atmosphere at the FNC has been the two historically bad years, fielding the team that has scored the least amount of goals per season in NHL history. Our guys for some reason, couldn't get it done in a historically bad way. It was done by plan and it's not fun to watch, even if Uncle Terry said that those two years were some of the most successful years in Sabres history. 

One of the reasons the NHL keeps switching from 5 on 5 to 4 on 4 to 3 on 3 is that the players have become too big for the alotted ice.  You have all the clogging up with the collisions but with all the clutter, there's very little room to skate or work a play.

What really needs to be done IMO is the the ice surfaces must be enlarged. But I think ultimately Bettman, who has never played hockey, can't understand this and he'll keep switching back and forth cluelessly re-arranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

For the most part, it's not fun to watch. The great plays are too far between and our players are just not skilled enough at this point to pull it off with any consistency.

One of the major reasons for the morgue-like atmosphere at the FNC has been the two historically bad years, fielding the team that has scored the least amount of goals per season in NHL history. Our guys for some reason, couldn't get it done in a historically bad way. It was done by plan and it's not fun to watch, even if Uncle Terry said that those two years were some of the most successful years in Sabres history.

No.

you know what?  i used to think that too..until the last olympics. i though the bigger ice would lead to mo re excitement.  but it wound up being the same crap with everyone packed in around the net.  and very few goals.

the only thing that seems like it will work is smaller pads and bigger goals.

you know what?  i used to think that too..until the last olympics. i though the bigger ice would lead to mo re excitement.  but it wound up being the same crap with everyone packed in around the net.  and very few goals.

the only thing that seems like it will work is smaller pads and bigger goals.

Yes.  I noticed this during the last Olympics, too.

I don't want the size of the goals to change, though.

World juniors on the big ice was tremendously fun to watch. But that tournament wasn't an 82 game grind, so I suspect the NHL somehow moving to bigger rinks would look more like the Olympics did.

The World Juniors was fun because the players haven't finished their brainwashing into the NHL coaching cult of Jacques Lemaire.

They still take risks and they still make mistakes.

It's not the ice surface, the penalty calling, the size of the players or their skill.

It is the goalies and the coaches who enhance the advantage those goalies have by getting their teams to "play the right way"

The World Juniors was fun because the players haven't finished their brainwashing into the NHL coaching cult of Jacques Lemaire.

They still take risks and they still make mistakes.

It's not the ice surface, the penalty calling, the size of the players or their skill.

It is the goalies and the coaches who enhance the advantage those goalies have by getting their teams to "play the right way"

Honest question. Are Murray and Bylsma part of this problem? Is this what we have to look forward to? And why do the owners keep hiring such guys?

Honest question. Are Murray and Bylsma part of this problem? Is this what we have to look forward to? And why do the owners keep hiring such guys?

Because owners want to win and it's too risky to play a wide open game like that because it even ordinary goalies are putting up Hasek like stats. Between the pads and the fact that goalies these days are starting to be the same height as NBA players, the best way to win is to play boring hockey. Crowd the net and hope f9r garbage goals and rebounds.

Larger ice surface won't work...defenses will just keep teams to the outside. You see it in the Olympics and World Championships. A big part is goalie equipment that's make a 168lb Ryan Miller look like a 350lb Defensive lineman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.