The FNC has become a morgue

Marvelo

The FNC has become an uninspired morgue to be playing in. The players must feel it. Everything about it is dead. The only time it seems to come to life is when it’s artificially resuscitated with either a goal or one of the incessant attempts to pump up the crowd with lights or music or artificial crowd noises I suspect.

The whole game experience has got to be changed from top to bottom. The crazed fans are there but the experience is deadening. Any ideas?

Edited by Marvelo

One week from today, I will attend my first Sabres game in Buffalo since March, 2003 (I believe; Hasek's first game in Buffalo, post trade). Coincidentally, I'm seeing Detroit, once again. I saw many in the building before moving south in 1997 and many more in the Aud.

I am very interested in the experience. I grew up with the standing room only frenzy of the Aud. I was tangentially involved in conversations around new arena concepts in the 1990s and sensed sterility, even then. I've been to other "new" arenas since. They're all more sterile than the old. Such is life. FNC sounds, from comments here and from broadcasts, like one of the most changed experiences. I believe it's equal parts game and venue. We'll see! "One, two, three ... WE WANT FOUR and We Want Ray!"

Pre-game spaghetti parm at Chefs! If that's the same, I'm happy!

Anyone going who wants a beer, PM me. I will not be organizing a militia or wearing a white powdered wig.

Yes. Have a consistently competitive team that wins more than it loses.

Actually they have been pretty consistently competitive. The problem could be that the air of negativity and last year's tank and now getting Eichel and fans thinking ....great we are there now has deadend the spirit. It takes more than one or two players first of all and I think getting Eichel and all the fanfare over the draft has left many with a big letdown. Sort of like the buildup for Christmas for kids then the day arrives and okay now what?

Aside from the obvious, needing a consistently good team, I'd say it might be a sign of the times. 10 years ago the team was better, and smart phones were't a huge deal yet. People were more invested in the game itself, versus just being there for a game. Nowadays as the team's play wanes during a game, they go to their phones and the old cheering to wake up the team has fallen by the wayside. Not to mention the stadium experience seems better for the summer games than any regular season game. What happened to the Jumbotron graphics? What happened to the music, where's the old "we will rock you" and other related "Sports" songs? If there is anything I'm disappointed in, its the fact ticket prices go up, yet the actual stadium experience has gone down. 

One week from today, I will attend my first Sabres game in Buffalo since March, 2003 (I believe; Hasek's first game in Buffalo, post trade). Coincidentally, I'm seeing Detroit, once again. I saw many in the building before moving south in 1997 and many more in the Aud.

I am very interested in the experience. I grew up with the standing room only frenzy of the Aud. I was tangentially involved in conversations around new arena concepts in the 1990s and sensed sterility, even then. I've been to other "new" arenas since. They're all more sterile than the old. Such is life. FNC sounds, from comments here and from broadcasts, like one of the most changed experiences. I believe it's equal parts game and venue. We'll see! "One, two, three ... WE WANT FOUR and We Want Ray!"

Pre-game spaghetti parm at Chefs! If that's the same, I'm happy!

Anyone going who wants a beer, PM me. I will not be organizing a militia or wearing a white powdered wig.

You all are leaving Oregon next week?

I might be up for a pre-game beverage.

Also I think I have tickets to that game that I won't be using.

Edited by Eleven

You all are leaving Oregon next week?

I might be up for a pre-game beverage.

Also I think I have tickets to that game that I won't be using.

I paused reading "Oregon" and not following ... a light bulb went off ... and I then laughed out loud!

I hope your schedule allows.

Yes. Have a consistently competitive team that wins more than it loses.

That didn't spur the crowd post-2007. There is a problem that goes deeper than the win-loss record. I don't blame anyone for not cheering last night. That was just brutal. Oh, how I look forward to so many more Bylsma-Julien snoozefests.

I hate to resort to ripping off the canes, but they've got that big black dude who blows the horn during play to inspire the "let's go canes" chant. He stands right behind the glass where the Zamboni comes out and that damn horn echoes to the rafters.

Someone was banging a drum last night to the Let's Go Buffalo beat and that worked a bit. It has worked in the past.

Here's a suggestion. The much respected and adored Terry Pegula could grow a set, use up some of his capital and say, "Look, fellas and gals, if you don't want to cheer for this team, please give up your tickets to someone who will. Thank you. Didja hear the one about the mayor and team president who went in a bar?"

That didn't spur the crowd post-2007. There is a problem that goes deeper than the win-loss record.

I think you answered your own question there. Black Sunday was a falling off point for many, many fans.

I will allow: The era of the smartphone, secondary ticket markets, and increased corporate attendance are all factors in the vibe in arena.

Oh, and the game itself is becoming unwatchable at times, across the league.

But I maintain: An exciting, winning brand of hockey would have that place roaring. Maybe that combo - exciting and winning - is unattainable in today's NHL?

Turn off the wifi, disrupt cell service. People who go to games and spend it on their phones are idiots. If I offended you because you do this, you are an idiot.

I had the same thought. That would be awesome. I'd also turn the game off on the Jumbotron. MAKE PEOPLE WATCH THE GAME. You're not at home. I'd kill the horn as well. It's just there to disguise the fact no one cheers a goal. And it makes cheering unnecessary. Once a season, the horn dude is asleep or the horn malfunctions and it's amazing how there's zero sound when the Sabres score.

Turn off the wifi, disrupt cell service. People who go to games and spend it on their phones are idiots. If I offended you because you do this, you are an idiot.

I want to agree, except that being able to do things like communicate with friends who are at the game is kind of nice.

You'll never be able to turn the clock back on the always-connected society. It's here to stay.

It can be defeated with a good product though. I'll put my phone away if the Sabres are good. They just haven't been for a long long time.

I hate to resort to ripping off the canes, but they've got that big black dude who blows the horn during play to inspire the "let's go canes" chant. He stands right behind the glass where the Zamboni comes out and that damn horn echoes to the rafters.

Having more big black dudes might work

First this would stop absolutely no one from looking at their phones who were going to anyways. Secondly, that place has been a morgue since 2009 before they put Wi-Fi in.

You are right though, those people are idiots. And I'm one of them at times. You paid like 50 bucks for those tickets, watch the game!  

I think there's theres a few issues. The team is still not great, even if they're more fun than before. That place also just sucks up sound; it is not built in a way to help the sound build, the acoustics suck. When its loud, more people get loud. When its quiet, noone wants to be the one to start something.

And this might be a little crazy, but are there maybe to many season ticket holders? I know most people split them with others, or sell them, so maybe it doesn't really make a difference, but if I went to 40 games a year by game 18 I probably wouldn't be as into it anymore.

Having more big black dudes might work

You say that about everything.

I think you answered your own question there. Black Sunday was a falling off point for many, many fans.

I will allow: The era of the smartphone, secondary ticket markets, and increased corporate attendance are all factors in the vibe in arena.

Oh, and the game itself is becoming unwatchable at times, across the league.

But I maintain: An exciting, winning brand of hockey would have that place roaring. Maybe that combo - exciting and winning - is unattainable in today's NHL?

All of this. No one thing is the reason here, and most of this is dependent upon one another. Sure cell phones can distract people, but maybe if the product was more entertaining than the phone it wouldn't matter in the first place.

That didn't spur the crowd post-2007. There is a problem that goes deeper than the win-loss record. I don't blame anyone for not cheering last night. That was just brutal. Oh, how I look forward to so many more Bylsma-Julien snoozefests.

Again, the News wasn't printing articles about the silent arena in 2010.

Johan Larsson's random fight had the crowd stirring last night too. Despite the decline in scraps through the last few years the fans still like to see them, especially if the home team players wins or at least lands a couple while not getting his ass kicked (so Mike Weber need not apply). Hell, I get on my feet even if it's Weber getting pummeled to the ice because at least something's happening.

I want to agree, except that being able to do things like communicate with friends who are at the game is kind of nice.

You'll never be able to turn the clock back on the always-connected society. It's here to stay.

It can be defeated with a good product though. I'll put my phone away if the Sabres are good. They just haven't been for a long long time.

Your friends will get over it if you don't communicate with them during the game. And how about communicating with the people around you? All that talking would (and used to) create a din that actually makes it sound like there are people at the game.

Maybe in today's world, there should be a rule in place where if you have to communicate with people using your thumbs, you have to have the volume all the way up on your phone and that clicking sound when you type turned on. The din of 20 thousand people clicking away will replace the din of people actually talking.

Johan Larsson's random fight had the crowd stirring last night too. Despite the decline in scraps through the last few years the fans still like to see them, especially if the home team players wins or at least lands a couple while not getting his ass kicked (so Mike Weber need not apply). Hell, I get on my feet even if it's Weber getting pummeled to the ice because at least something's happening.

That last sentence perfectly sums up the NHL's problems right now: far too often, nothing interesting is happening.

Your friends will get over it if you don't communicate with them during the game. And how about communicating with the people around you? All that talking would (and used to) create a din that actually makes it sound like there are people at the game.

Maybe in today's world, there should be a rule in place where if you have to communicate with people using your thumbs, you have to have the volume all the way up on your phone and that clicking sound when you type turned on. The din of 20 thousand people clicking away will replace the din of people actually talking.

https://xkcd.com/1601/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.