Most Overrated NHL Player

WildCard

Why would you list two of the NHL's top players in this thread, or do you not mean over-rated in the correct sense of hyped up by the masses, but not really there in skill, nor stats?

In the truest sense of the words, I give you, Dion Phaneuf.

Yep. Agreed. That and god I hate that guy.

I kinda hate saying overrated when it's a player who'd previously been pretty worthy of their hype, or is simply declining with age. But with that said, Getzlaf. I gleefully snatched him up on one of my fantasy teams and man, he's had a bad year. His whole team has. But I figured he'd have something to show for it. 

Edited by Josie914

Stamkos is right up there too, that's for sure

Of the players routinely considered to he superstars (or close to it) he's definitely mine.

Of lesser players, does anyone still think Dustin Brown is any good? Because he's been bad for like three years now.

For goaltenders, there can be only one: Jonathan Quick. He's a good starter, but nowhere near the Price/Lundqvist class he's usually grouped with. Hell, I think Rask is clearly better too.

Brown was gonna be mine, True, but honestly I didn't think anyone actually considered him good.

I don't think Quick is overrated though. I could be swayed, but without knowing all of his stats off the top of my head I think he's warranted his praise

Why would you list two of the NHL's top players in this thread, or do you not mean over-rated in the correct sense of hyped up by the masses, but not really there in skill, nor stats?

In the truest sense of the words, I give you, Dion Phaneuf.

Very good choice, NS. I offer Malkin, and Toews is definitely a starter along with Stamkos, because they're routinely considered top 5/10 talents, whereas Dion is not IMO. Overrated for sure though

Yeah. He might be a bad choice for this, because when he was 'hyped' he had much better numbers and looked, I presume, much better than he does this year.

Pekka looks bad again tonight. He just let in a weak wrap-around goal. He is a big reason the Preds are free falling in the standings.

Fat, stupid, selfish, lilly-livered, willfully uncoachable, prima donna, no concept of defense or team, locker-room cancer, Dallas Cowboys loving, Christmas hating, halitosis breath, puppy torturing, Backstreet Boys fan, Satan worshipper...wait...what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, Phil Kessel.

Yep. Agreed. That and god I hate that guy.

I kinda hate saying overrated when it's a player who'd previously been pretty worthy of their hype, or is simply declining with age. But with that said, Getzlaf. I gleefully snatched him up on one of my fantasy teams and man, he's had a bad year. His whole team has. But I figured he'd have something to show for it. 

This is an important point, I think. If a player was really good, and is declining, I would hesitate to call them overrated, as most would acknowledge the decline, and the previous statements about how good the player was would still apply to the time they were made.

Not that I think Crosby won't bounce back, but I feel this applies to him. He's actually rebounding right now, but most accept that he is having a down year and wouldn't call him the best player in the league right now. In that sense, he is not overrated. When he was being called the best, he was the best.

Stamkos, as mentioned, is really the first guy that comes to mind when I think of overrated. He's still a good player, but I don't really even think he is elite anymore. He couldn't even crack the first line (or play his natural position) in the playoffs last year. Granted, Cooper's stubbornness may have had something to do with that, but still.

It's also worth noting that I see being overrated as relative, and not a strike against the player himself. As I brought up in another thread, I think Toews is overrated, but only in the sense that some consider him to be the best player in the world, and I don't see him as that. Maybe I should call him "overrated by some". He's still an amazing hockey player, and not overrated in the sense I think Stamkos is.

Pekka looks bad again tonight. He just let in a weak wrap-around goal. He is a big reason the Preds are free falling in the standings.

I was watching the game today, Rinne looked brutal. He seemed to lose them that game.

Edited by Thorny

This is an important point, I think. If a player was really good, and is declining, I would hesitate to call them overrated, as most would acknowledge the decline, and the previous statements about how good the player was would still apply to the time they were made.

I'm not sure I agree with this, simply because I think we're usually a couple of years late in recognizing the decline, or at least the time it takes us to accept it is actually a decline and not just a blip.

And this is mostly a tangental point, but I think a lot of people tend to read "decline" as "bad" which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I'm not sure I agree with this, simply because I think we're usually a couple of years late in recognizing the decline, or at least the time it takes us to accept it is actually a decline and not just a blip.

And this is mostly a tangental point, but I think a lot of people tend to read "decline" as "bad" which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Well that's exactly it. If fans are late in recognizing and more importantly admitting the decline, it can lead to a player being overrated.

But sometimes the decline (which, as you say, doesn't mean the player is "bad" - more often it's just a slow, natural progression) is admitted right away, or soon enough. As seems to be the case with a guy like Getzlaf. I don't see many people calling him a top player right now.

It's almost like if someone calls someone "overrated", one must ask, "By whom?" and "By what standard?" It's a difficult term to define as it's so subjective and more importantly, I think, relative.

Sort of like what I think you are getting at with "decline" being read as "bad", I don't want overrated to be read as "bad".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.