2016--- Name your second half season predictions.

woods-racer

38 members have voted

1. 1. On pace for 71 points. You pick the results.

• Come up lame in the second half. 68 or less.
    • Play the same, finish 69-73 points for the season.
    • They are coming on baby! 74 plus points easy.

The Sabres are following in the footprints of 2 other teams that used the frame work of dumping  their roster to get picks and prospects along with high draft choices due to their end of year standings to hope for future successes.

The Pittsburgh Penguins right after drafting Crosby went on to get 58 points that 05-06 season. 

The Chicago Blawkhawks right after drafting Patrick Kane went on to get 88 points that 07-08 season.

The Sabres have played 38 games and have 34 points to close out 2015. They are on pace for a 71 point season. 

What will the second half bring?

Will GMTM make a stunning pre-trade deadline move?

Will Lehner saunter in and be THE MAN in goal?

Make your 2016 predictions.

What does the winner get?   I could think of nothing finer .....than a chicken diner.

That's right, winner-winner chicken dinner!

I'm a virgin in this new thread / pole realm, All constructive criticism greatly appreciated.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I predict that I will watch the first Sabres game of 2016 here*.  Please pray for me.  And if you don't hear from me again, it's been a pleasure knowing you.

*The Sunshine Bar is owned by one of the guys from DFW Bills Backers who watches the Bills games with us at Buffalo Bros.  We said we'd watch a Sabres game or two at his place.

As for the team, PLAYOFFS, BABY!

(Maybe not but it's my hope every year.)

Edited by The Big Johnson

69-73 points is where I would put them.  They compete game in and game out, but still fall short.  They're missing another high end defensemen and another skilled forward in the top six.  Consistent goaltending has been an issue as well, but those are all things that will take time.  

I predict that I will watch the first Sabres game of 2016 here*.  Please pray for me.  And if you don't hear from me again, it's been a pleasure knowing you.

*The Sunshine Bar is owned by one of the guys from DFW Bills Backers who watches the Bills games with us at Buffalo Bros.  We said we'd watch a Sabres game or two at his place.

As for the team, PLAYOFFS, BABY!

(Maybe not but it's my hope every year.)

That's my type of place to watch a game!

No one giving me the dirty eyeball for dropping a few derogatory remarks at the top of my lungs for a knee on knee trip at the ref's there!

Since playoffs are out of the question.....again, fack the goalies and defense and try and score at all costs. I seem to be in the minority that this team is still boring as hell to watch.

Some games are, but most of us are happy with the improvement the team has made so far.

If we aren't in the playoff race come deadline time, he better be.

We are a building team. Can't let assets walk for free.

His best friend is here long term and he's been given ample opportunity to play the biggest minutes of his career. He will want to stay. Maybe he pulls a Moulson, but either way he's coming back

His best friend is here long term and he's been given ample opportunity to play the biggest minutes of his career. He will want to stay. Maybe he pulls a Moulson, but either way he's coming back

That's what I was inferring, with O'Reilly here long term I could see him being very interested in getting the opportunity to play in the playoffs, improve the Sabres, then return in the offseason. I doubt he'd get much in a contract with his injury history coupled with his stats never being awesome like those of Moulson's past. 

McGinn is not getting traded, Wookie.

We'll get a top 10 pick, and actually see if Murray can lure FA's here that we desperately need

I'd prefer to re-sign him but he's easily the UFA that playoff teams would want the most as a rental.  Depending on what the offer is, it'd be tempting.

Legwand, Foligno, Weber, and Johnson are the other UFAs.  I could see playoff teams looking for depth asking about Larsson and Gorges too.

It's tough to imagine the Sabres not having a better second half than their first half.  They're not playing awful hockey, they just aren't getting any bounces.  We won't be able to challenge for a playoff spot this year but I think we'll escape the bottom 5 of the league.

The new NHL Lottery Simulator (who gets the first three picks) is pretty fun: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/  If we pick anywhere in the top ten, we should be good to get a goal scorer or a good mobile defenseman (we could really use either one).

3 Improvements Buffalo Must Make For 2nd Half

Compared to the last two seasons, scoring for the Sabres has been up so far this season. While they averaged less than two goals per game during the past two seasons, Buffalo currently averages 2.33 goals per game which is the 26th best in the NHL. Ryan O’Reilly, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Jack Eichel have accounted for 32 of the Sabres’ 87 goals. Many of Buffalo’s players have been productive this season but others have left much more to be desired.

Good find.  They do need some of their secondary scoring to step up.  To me it starts with Zemgus, he's been solid in the defensive zone all season and he's slowly starting to put up more shots.  However, he's the perfect example of a player who needs to get it going.  The second thing that will strongly help is Mark Pysyk coming back and remaining healthy.  He cycles and skates well and makes the right pass more often than not.  Less Weber/Colaiacovo and more Pysyk should help.  I don't know what it is about this team, but for the most part their worst period is the 1st.  More often than not they're falling behind early and playing catch-up.  Slowly their becoming a middle of the pack team with 95 for and 104 against, which is coming back towards semi-respectability.  It is a much improved number as compared to last year.  For me it seems more likely than not they'll finish similarly that they did in the month of December.  They're making strides, but they are still a few "right pieces" away from being a playoff contender.  Go GMTM! GO SABRES!

Edited by TheCerebral1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.