New lines

Lines for Sabres this AM:

McGinn-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

Deslauriers-Legwand-Foligno/Moulson

#BUFvsWSH

Like Zemgus on Eichel's Wing, Gionta again not so much

So Gionta records his 1st shot on goal in 5 games and gets moved up to the 2nd line, maybe if he gets a shot tonight, he'll be replacing O'Reilly on the top line.

So Gionta records his 1st shot on goal in 5 games and gets moved up to the 2nd line, maybe if he gets a shot tonight, he'll be replacing O'Reilly on the top line.

With the exception of McGinn, O'Reilly and Rhindehardte the Sabres lines are a nightly mess.

Kane-Larsson-Ennis is a headscratcher.  I don't even...

We play Washington three times this season - all three in a 20-day span.

Morons. Morons made the schedule this year.
I've never seen one so blatantly terrible, how did someone sign off on this?

I think it's good to play the same team several times over a short span.  Simulates the playoffs.

Going to the game with my daughter.  It's been a while since I saw the Sabres live.  Should be fun.

Enjoy! 

I'll be annoyed if Deslauriers has to fight again tonight.  He threw a legal hit (shoulder to shoulder!) where the Caps player got clipped in the face with his stick as they both fell to the ice.  The Caps got upset so they sent someone to fight him.  Deslauriers beat him up so now the Caps are even more upset.  At some point you had to wonder why the Caps are getting so mad about an opposing player doing normal hockey things.  What would they do if Deslauriers pulled an Ovechkin and hit someone from behind to throw them head-first into the boards?

Also, this would be a great time for literally any other Sabre to drop the gloves.  This feels like shades of Drew Stafford's "We have other guys for that."  If the Caps try to start something with Deslauriers, it'd be great if someone else if one of our other guys decided to punch someone in the head about it.

Great post - agree 100%.

The young guy immediately regrets asking his date if it's true that she's known as the DC Hummer.

I looked for a bit, then laughed.

I can get behind the sentiment here.  For all of the "team toughness" we've got, De-Lo shouldn't have to bloody his knuckles a 2nd time, not that it would bother him to do so.  This would be a good opportunity to put some "team" on display and see Bogo, or McGinn, or Girgensons show some moxie.

Amen.

Awesome ... What life has taught me: She'll remember forever.

Actually, she is now 26 and a prosecutor in Annapolis Maryland.  I think tonight is a walk down memory lane for her, as she has loved hockey games and the Sabres since she was very small, even though she grew up down here. Father daughter thing.  So your point is correct-- she does remember.  :rolleyes:

Does any NHL coach actually slot his lineup on this kind of heirarchical system?

Isn't it all about chemistry and match ups?

Edited by dudacek

Johnson in net

Girgensons in for Moulson on the PP.

Does Moulson finally sit tonight???

New lines

McGinn-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

#BUFvsWSH

Like Zemgus on Eichel's Wing, Gionta again not so much

While I also dislike Gionta on Eichel's wing, I don't know who else to put there because I really like the other lines. That third line in particular has some real potential, I think.

One game after his breakout performance in Boston? I'm starting to not like Bylsma. (While fully acknowledging he may have matchup reasons or what not in mind that I am not sophisticated enough to understand.)

In his post-practice PC yesterday, Bylsma said he liked the lines the last 10 minutes of the Caps game. So, not shocking he made that switch. My guess is that it clearly was a demotion for Eichel, most likely due to him blaming Eichel for leaving the zone too soon when Ennis threw that awesome centering pass to a guy in white in the 2nd & then staying frustrated w/ Eichel on the turnover @ the BL in the 3rd. (Though it looked like Ennis simply didn't look before throwing the puck away; it appears Ennis did what DB expected him to do and Eichel was in the wrong spot - too bad Gorges couldn't get too it; he xame close.)

Of course, he did say he wasn't planning on changing up the PPs. We'll see if that holds on whether Moulson dresses.

And the swapping of Larsson & Eichel may not be a demotion tonight as much as trying to keep the Caps from being able to send Ovi out against the KEE line. DB seems to like Gionta w/ Eichel & a lot of us have wanted to see Girgensons get a shot w/ Eichel. The lines are definitely more balanced this way. Interested in seeing the ice time tonight & if the lines hold.

On an unrelated note. It is good to see Williams not crying about getting accidentally high sticked. His high stick on Koivu in the eye in '06 cleared the way for him getting to raise the SC later that post-season. Live by the sword, .... Too bad the rest of the Caps don't seem to see it that way as well. It's not Deslauriers fault (well actually it is ;)) that he kicked the Cap's butt that tried to avenge his fallen brother.

McGinn-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

#BUFvsWSH

So which line acts as the shutdown line? I'm guessing it'll be the O'Reilly line but I'd rather see that line out on the ice with their #1 priority to be scoring as they're our most consistant 5v5 threat. We can't rely the power play as it's in a funk and while I hope I'm wrong I don't see Eichel clicking with Girgensons or Gionta...he needs skill players. I can see Girgensons working out with him if he's playing hard and creating havoc by rushing the net. Who knows? Not me, I'm just some schmuck on the internet.

I do think D'lo gets a goal tonight, he's been due and this game is being built up around him and hopefully Foligno will be ready to rock and roll after being sidelined the past few games.

A first period goal and or scoring first would be nice.

So which line acts as the shutdown line? I'm guessing it'll be the O'Reilly line but I'd rather see that line out on the ice with their #1 priority to be scoring as they're our most consistant 5v5 threat. We can't rely the power play as it's in a funk and while I hope I'm wrong I don't see Eichel clicking with Girgensons or Gionta...he needs skill players. I can see Girgensons working out with him if he's playing hard and creating havoc by rushing the net. Who knows? Not me, I'm just some schmuck on the internet.

I do think D'lo gets a goal tonight, he's been due and this game is being built up around him and hopefully Foligno will be ready to rock and roll after being sidelined the past few games.

A first period goal and or scoring first would be nice.

Don't think he's going with one. Makes sense to me. On the road so it's harder to get the preferred matchups, he'd rather balance the lines and prevent the Caps from being able to take advantage of any particular line.

On an unrelated note. It is good to see Williams not crying about getting accidentally high sticked. His high stick on Koivu in the eye in '06 cleared the way for him getting to raise the SC later that post-season. Live by the sword, .... Too bad the rest of the Caps don't seem to see it that way as well. It's not Deslauriers fault (well actually it is ;)) that he kicked the Cap's butt that tried to avenge his fallen brother.

Good for him. But the "avenging" of clean hits is ridiculous in the game. I can't pinpoint when this became a thing; it seems pretty recent. I'd love to see the refs start dishing out penalties for delay of game or something.

Don't think he's going with one. Makes sense to me. On the road so it's harder to get the preferred matchups, he'd rather balance the lines and prevent the Caps from being able to take advantage of any particular line.

True, but like on Monday night, I expect O'Reilly's line get the bulk of Ovi's line when possible. Will probably try to have Eichel's new line take the end of Ovi's shift (like Larsson's line did on Monday) also when possible so he can put Girgensons out against Ovi. Don't be surprised to see Gionta spend a lot of time in Buffalo's end w/ the C's responsibility. Will be interesting to see if Reinhart is more of a LW than a RW like on Monday night as well.

Good for him. But the "avenging" of clean hits is ridiculous in the game. I can't pinpoint when this became a thing; it seems pretty recent. I'd love to see the refs start dishing out penalties for delay of game or something.

It is ridiculous, but it's always been there to a fairly significant degree IMHO.

True, but like on Monday night, I expect O'Reilly's line get the bulk of Ovi's line when possible. Will probably try to have Eichel's new line take the end of Ovi's shift (like Larsson's line did on Monday) also when possible so he can put Girgensons out against Ovi. Don't be surprised to see Gionta spend a lot of time in Buffalo's end w/ the C's responsibility. Will be interesting to see if Reinhart is more of a LW than a RW like on Monday night as well.

Seeing Gionta spending a lot of time in Buffalo's end is never a surprise  :ph34r:  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.