TBN piece on sagging attendance, enthusiasm in arena

PASabreFan

I hadn't watched a game live in 4 years. I enjoyed my arena experience for the game I went too. I actually thought the arena amenities were better than the last time I went. Maybe I am old school but I watch the game when I go, I loved hearing the intermission in the walkways and seeing the TV's in the concourse but I am not sure what else you would add to increase my enjoyment other than more entertaining hockey. Of course my game did have a really fun finish and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, the arena is all about family and kids entertainment and not about being a loud obnoxious hockey fan.  It is arena culture, not the arena itself IMPO that is the issue. I wish there was an adult only section where I could cheer and occasionally swear when a play didn't go our way without feeling guilty because a dad is at the game with his 5yr old kid.

This is where I'm at as well. It's not that I want to be a drunk a$$hole, those days are in my past, but I would like the games to be less family oriented. It has really dulled the atmosphere. 

When I was a kid it was understood that you were lucky your parents were taking you to an adult thing like a hockey game. You would hear language. There would be beer and cursing.

Now every parent out there thinks their child's virgin ears are sacred and that the game and the fans must alter their behavior so that they don't have to do the parenting work of teaching their child lessons about adulthood and the privileges that come with it.  

This is where I'm at as well. It's not that I want to be a drunk a$$hole, those days are in my past, but I would like the games to be less family oriented. It has really dulled the atmosphere. 

When I was a kid it was understood that you were lucky your parents were taking you to an adult thing like a hockey game. You would hear language. There would be beer and cursing.

Now every parent out there thinks their child's virgin ears are sacred and that the game and the fans must alter their behavior so that they don't have to do the parenting work of teaching their child lessons about adulthood and the privileges that come with it.  

That is definitely part of the problem.

As someone who has taken kids aged 4 and up to multiple games, I agree with d4rk and Eleven.

The drunken arsehole is a problem that should be addressed, kids or no kids.

But some loud booming curse words directed appropriately to a game situation? That's something that should be part of the arena experience.

As someone who has taken kids aged 4 and up to multiple games, I agree with d4rk and Eleven.

But some loud booming curse words directed appropriately to a game situation? That's something that should be part of the arena experience.

You should probably stop kidnapping 4 year olds and taking them to games, though.

1) It has been said before (by me, among others): Buffalo is an extraordinarily tough entertainment market. It takes a lot more to get a Buffalo audience (for any type of entertainment) excited than those in other cities.

2)  Team performance and expectations have been awful for the last two seasons plus.

3) Ticket prices are high enough that more of those who buy season tickets don't go to all 41 games and sell some off to the secondary market.  Many of those who buy tix on StubHub, etc. are either fans of the other team (read "Toronto") or don't have a vested interest in the Sabres.  For them it's a night out - nothing more.  (Fixing #2 will help this).

4) Yes, NHL hockey IS boring.  I rarely watch non-Sabres games on TV any more because games just aren't exciting.  AND, thanks to the tank action of the last two years, I don't watch many Sabres games any more, either.  There are simply too many other demands on my time and/or more fun things to do. 

5)  There is some validity to the white -collar, cell phone lovin', younger, less involved fans theory(ies). 

Add them up and you have an atmosphere in the FNC as fun and exciting as a Sweden - Finland curling final in Orlando.

Edited by Sabre Dance

For me, it's not even curse words...I've gotten the stink eye so often over the years just for yelling loudly that I have succumbed to societal pressure and am fairly subdued at games now. I just don't want to deal with the "hey man, easy on the ears" comments anymore.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and trying to deflect blame onto others :lol:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Ab-so-freakin'-lute-ly!

Also, on the 300 level having concouses wider than your average elementary school hallway would've been nice. Thanks Larry. Great job you ####ing d#####-###. <_<

I've never seen a filtered curse word with a hyphen in it? We can't write "wad" either?

Hey. Where are the god damned Pizza Logs in the arena? No 300 level concession stand served them.

Chet and Muffy find Pizza logs offensive because their son, Preston Von Chesterfield III has a gluten allergy. If you want pizza logs you should find a Tops or better yet a gas station in the projects and cook them in their dirty microwave.

Chet and Muffy find Pizza logs offensive because their son, Preston Von Chesterfield III has a gluten allergy. If you want pizza logs you should find a Tops or better yet a gas station in the projects and cook them in their dirty microwave.

POY candidate. Wait, it's not 2016 yet.

At the Americans game at fnc tonight. The crowd is much better than a sabres game but still way below the worst crowd I've seen in other places. I would much rather drive to Rochester to watch the am erk than sit in church at the fnc. Buffalo just has terrible boring hockey fans. They suck. It is a buffalo thing. The people in Buffalo just suck as hockey fans.

over time has been much better.

Edited by Kr632

At the Americans game at fnc tonight. The crowd is much better than a sabres game but still way below the worst crowd I've seen in other places. I would much rather drive to Rochester to watch the am erk than sit in church at the fnc. Buffalo just has terrible boring hockey fans. They suck. It is a buffalo thing. The people in Buffalo just suck as hockey fans.

how many little kids are there?  Say 11yrs old or younger?

I had to laugh watching the game tonight and listening to the arena in Washington and someone's comment that it's on par with our joint.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.