The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

"Do you enjoy a vague sense of unease permeating throughout your entire existence? While we've got the house for you!"

I will admit to being a fan of the Packard/other automotive murals in the garage. Those could be really nice. Just... the rest of it... cocaine nutjob  0rgy clown feverdream 

Edited by josie

Can anyone explain why there is what appears to be a double-ended boat hook hanging from two mailboxes in the bathroom? I know picking out one thing that bothers me is a somewhat futile effort, but seriously...

Speaking to you from the other side:  MOVING SUCKS.

We got some upgrades to the electrical system.  They said they'd be done by Friday, with maybe a little cleanup on Monday.  They didn't get power turned on until midnight Saturday night.... and only in about half the house.  As a result, we went the weekend without internet; it finally got connected Sunday afternoon.  We still have several car-loads of stuff in the old house.  Ugh.

Got out of the old house Wednesday night.  The last load or two was simply tossing stuff into the car whether we wanted it or not.  On the way to the new house I dropped some junk off at Goodwill.

The electrical upgrades were finally finished today (Friday).  They're coming back tomorrow to do some drywall patching and paint touch-up.  We paid them tonight.  They were by and large good guys, but the guy who estimated our job severely underbid the effort.  So it goes.  They respected their estimated price though so I can't complain.

Friday a plumber was supposed to come out and put in a new shower pan and fixtures in the master shower.  He texted in the morning and said he had the flu and said he would come on Saturday.  I texted him back that if he's still sick he needs to get well, but he said he'd see how he felt in the morning.  So he may or may not come on Saturday.

The house is livable though, and our stuff is all here.  Now comes the task of unpacking everything.  I forgot how much work moving is.

One thing that made the price of the house reasonable was that it's close (a block in) from Interstate 20.  While inside you don't hear too much noise and/or it's just vague background noise.  In the yard it's always there, but that was something we came into eyes wide open.  But as I'm typing this at about 10:30 at night, I realize that the interstate comes alive during the night time hours with truckers and motorcycle racers.  For the most part though it registers as white noise and actually helps me sleep.  I grew up near the NYS Thruway in Cheektowaga so the freeway noise is familiar to me.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Today is Cowtown Cleanup where various groups pick up trash around down.  I volunteered with my new neighborhood association and met some new folks.  Now I'm exhausted but I think I'll mow the lawn since we're back to the top of the hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Wyldnwoody44 is joining our ranks:

Sooo, I just accepted a counter offer on a place by Kissing Bridge, if it goes through it will be my first house!!!!

Maybe I can have a separate SS housewarming meet up if anyone is willing to make the drive!

Oh Charlie lol,

I was waiting for that comment, it actually wasn't as expensive as it looks..... And it's gonna hit my pocketbook hard, but I just can't live In my crap hole apartment anymore, crackhead neighbors stealing mail/packages, overall lack of upkeep and rent just went up. Time to kinda be an adult

Oh Charlie lol,

I was waiting for that comment, it actually wasn't as expensive as it looks..... And it's gonna hit my pocketbook hard, but I just can't live In my crap hole apartment anymore, crackhead neighbors stealing mail/packages, overall lack of upkeep and rent just went up. Time to kinda be an adult

:beer:

Personally I'm still in my crackhead neighbor phase. But I'm of the mentality that if you buy a house, might as well go all in and not skimp on anything you want/need. 

Edited by Jokertecken

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.