The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

I have 15 years left on an amoritized arm thru my credit union converted to fixed rate. Have almost $200k in equity and now rent it out for more than the mortgage taxes and insurance, and live elsewhere in subsidized hospital housing. Thinking house will be a good source of retirement income and slowly finishing renovating it to add another 600 sq ft above garage loft. DYI with help. Figure can always park RV there when needed once retired and gonna look for a couple pieces of property in other areas to park It. Also have friends all over the country to go visit and refuel. Its a plan. Have about 12 years till I retire at 70. So need to plan and let God laugh. We will see.

Edited by North Buffalo

From the "When it Rains it Snows" department: had a conversation with the wife today. She wants to buy her condo she is currently renting, and subsequently is leaning on me to refinance the mortgage on the house. My finances are a wreck, almost entirely thanks to her, and I'm going to take a substantial hit at best should I play along.

I'm trying to be cool about everything, but think I might have to read her attorney the riot act.

Congrats .. how big is the back yard ? 

It has a big side yard, probably 25 feet from the house to the side border of the lot.  Decent size back yard too.  The house has a lot of "nooks and crannies", especially the garage for storing things.  The garage is 20 x 24 and has a storage loft over the car parking.

It has a big side yard, probably 25 feet from the house to the side border of the lot.  Decent size back yard too.  The house has a lot of "nooks and crannies", especially the garage for storing things.  The garage is 20 x 24 and has a storage loft over the car parking.

Congrats!!

It looks very nice.

That's a big garage.  I know people living in condos that size.

Plumbing fun! Took the dog outside last night, and as I walked past the basement door I heard what sounded like running water. It was. Slop sink in the basement was over flowing on to the floor. Looks like the drain going to the sewer from the kitchens (we have a two family home) is plugged. I tried a quick snake from the slop sink but to no avail. Plumber calling time.

Plumbing fun! Took the dog outside last night, and as I walked past the basement door I heard what sounded like running water. It was. Slop sink in the basement was over flowing on to the floor. Looks like the drain going to the sewer from the kitchens (we have a two family home) is plugged. I tried a quick snake from the slop sink but to no avail. Plumber calling time.

You are single handedly (is that a word?) convincing Dark and Josie never to buy a home ...  :w00t:

You are single handedly (is that a word?) convincing Dark and Josie never to buy a home ...  :w00t:

We've honestly gotten pretty lucky. No huge emergencies (though this year has been kind of...exciting). Biggest issue we've had was our roof, but we kind of knew about it going in.

Fixed that for ya  ;)

Its just got character! I'd still take it over a lot of the development homes in the 'burbs.

I did find some interesting wiring in the attic floor/second floor ceiling yesterday, too, though. It can be a bit of an adventure.

Only 100 bucks to get the drain pipe snaked, and they did it day of. Took about 15 minutes. CEF Plumbing if you're in the Buffalo area.

Yesterday and today included plumbing repairs in my place too.  (And tree removal and furnace maintenance and and and...)

What type of tree is that? Can you ship some of the wood up to Buffalo?

What type of tree is that? Can you ship some of the wood up to Buffalo?

It was a hackberry tree.  Pretty much good for nothing.  In addition to the uselessness discussed in the article I linked, my arborist says they are known for outgrowing their structure... they literally start falling apart.  Their fibers are very straight and don't intertwine (like oak) so they just spontaneously start to split.  There was a split in the heart of the trunk of this particular tree; it wasn't ready to fall over or anything yet, but the propensity of its species to do so, and its proximity to my eaves, made me want to get rid of it.

The tree company took all the wood.  Sorry.

It was a hackberry tree.  Pretty much good for nothing.  In addition to the uselessness discussed in the article I linked, my arborist says they are known for outgrowing their structure... they literally start falling apart.  Their fibers are very straight and don't intertwine (like oak) so they just spontaneously start to split.  There was a split in the heart of the trunk of this particular tree; it wasn't ready to fall over or anything yet, but the propensity of its species to do so, and its proximity to my eaves, made me want to get rid of it.

The tree company took all the wood.  Sorry.

Yeah, after reading that article and the wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_occidentalis#Cultivation_and_uses) they're welcome to it, haha. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.