The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

I actually had an EKG done this week. Pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my chest, where the rib connects to the breast bone. Don’t ask me how... maybe it was ping pong? Anyways, it was an odd pain and my insurance covered everything but the $10 copay, so I got an EKG and chest X-rays to rule out everything. I’m healthy, or so they say, and I’m playing ping pong through the pain :P

Since this is the House thread, here’s my good news. I own a condo in a quickly growing neighborhood. My opposite end-unit (aka the absolute best comp for my place) just sold for $24K more than I paid 6 months ago. If only we can keep up that ROI until I sell in 5 years...

My next door neighbor is going to move out if he can get a good offer on his house.  We want them to go since they don't particularly fit in well with just about anyone.  The problem is, he just listed the house for way more than it is worth, probably close to $100K more.  It's great for us in more ways than one if he can get anywhere near that number, but I just don't see it happening.  Strangely enough, the other house that is adjacent to our lot just sold too.  This is a new construction neighborhood that started in 2015, so it's a bit strange to see people moving out so quickly.  That one was a work relocation though, so don't go accusing me of being the worst neighbor ever.

Finally having the floor tile replaced in my main bathroom this week.  They made some really good progress yesterday, and it should look pretty close to finished this evening after they do the grout.  Hoping they'll be done today or tomorrow so I won't have to continue politely deflecting the handyman's overtures.   <_<

Finally having the floor tile replaced in my main bathroom this week.  They made some really good progress yesterday, and it should look pretty close to finished this evening after they do the grout.  Hoping they'll be done today or tomorrow so I won't have to continue politely deflecting the handyman's overtures.   <_<

My tile guy took weeks to finish.

You just made me realize why.

My tile guy took weeks to finish.

You just made me realize why.

:lol: To be fair, mine is only working on a 43 ft2 bathroom, so that really shouldn't take long... just worried he's going to use the cure time between grouting and sealing as an excuse to keep coming back every few days.  I might just offer to do the sealing myself so that's not an issue, but I need him to at least put the toilet back in place since I can't do that on my own, so I have to keep being nice to him at least until that part is done.

Edited by biodork

My tile guy's taking forever too.  Mostly cuz he's never here.  He's a bicycle riding buddy of mine, the job is small, he's charging almost nothing, so I end up his lowest priority.  For instance, he had to take Monday off to work a job that's next door to Selena Gomez's house (the singer).  That's probably a $10k job or something, many times what I'm paying him.

Hopefully he doesn’t do it wrong on purpose and have to come back to fix it!

D'oh, by my own fault it won't be finished until tomorrow... he was planning on coming back at 8am, but I saw last night that the grout box says to wait 16 hours before stepping on the floor and 3 days before sealing it.  Much as I'd like to be done with the guy, I want to make sure the install is good so the new floor lasts as long as possible.  (Am I crazy for considering having him do other projects around the house?  He does good work and his prices are fair, but I'm not sure if he'd just get even more forward if I asked him to do more work down the line.)

The one downfall is the house in getting only has a 1 car garage, with a little nook for some extras, it's very expensive to make that a 2 car garage, so I was thinking of buying a nice shed big enough to park the other car, motorcycle and etc.

Is an HOA, so they won't be cool with me taking down a lot of trees for this, and ideas/thoughts?

The one downfall is the house in getting only has a 1 car garage, with a little nook for some extras, it's very expensive to make that a 2 car garage, so I was thinking of buying a nice shed big enough to park the other car, motorcycle and etc.

Is an HOA, so they won't be cool with me taking down a lot of trees for this, and ideas/thoughts?

You need to review the HOA rules.

• 3 weeks later...

When the short heat wave struck last week, I naturally turned on my central A/C so I could actually sleep that night.  Of course, it was the first time it was on this season and...it wasn't working.  At least not well.  In 18 hours, the temp in the house only went from 83 to 79.  I had my HVAC company stop by to take a look.  Well, the issue was that there was no refrigerant left in the system.  Due to a major leak. Caused by a piece of metal lodged in the plumbing. From the disintegrating impeller blades of the dying compressor.  In short, the whole shebang needs to be replaced.  Not fun. I'm now waiting for an estimate of what is going to cost to replace it.  It dawned on me last night that as long as I am at it, I might consider replacing the furnace as well since they were installed at the same time.  More $$$ going bye-bye.  Happy summer.  :blink:

Oof... at least you have central A/C, though! My place does not, and although you really only need it for maybe 3 months of the year out here, it's easily in the mid to upper 80s upstairs without it. Was looking into a whole house attic fan since it's a lot less expensive ($2k vs $5k), but it sounded like I'd need to add more ventilation in the attic to the roof, and the roof / exterior is managed by the HOA, so now I'm stuck waiting 3 weeks for them to have a meeting and decide whether they'll consider letting me do it. Ugh.

Oof... at least you have central A/C, though! My place does not, and although you really only need it for maybe 3 months of the year out here, it's easily in the mid to upper 80s upstairs without it. Was looking into a whole house attic fan since it's a lot less expensive ($2k vs $5k), but it sounded like I'd need to add more ventilation in the attic to the roof, and the roof / exterior is managed by the HOA, so now I'm stuck waiting 3 weeks for them to have a meeting and decide whether they'll consider letting me do it. Ugh.

My upstairs, which is the bedroom, is an uninsulated A-frame, apex 12 feet, with a 5x5 window facing south.  Name the time of year, it's no fun.  It's either cold as hell (because uninsulated), or hot as hell (because no level of AC is going to cool down this greenhouse).  It truly sux.

On the other hand, it is huge.  I probably could organize a badminton tournament in here if I removed the bed.

Edited by Eleven

My upstairs, which is the bedroom, is an uninsulated A-frame, apex 12 feet, with a 5x5 window facing south. Name the time of year, it's no fun. It's either cold as hell (because uninsulated), or hot as hell (because no level of AC is going to cool down this greenhouse). It truly sux.

On the other hand, it is huge. I probably could organize a badminton tournament in here if I removed the bed.

Any chance you can install radiant floor heating so at least it's good in the winter?

The kitchen is getting involved.  My wife hired some guy to take the wallpaper down. Under the ca. 1990 wallpaper was daisies!

34771898_1685324144849802_87748246276260

They've now been stripped off, leaving the bare walls.

34773296_1685324121516471_51800239825517

We need to decide what we'll do with the floor.  There was a cabinet/breakfast table here, once it was removed it revealed the original 1956 flooring.

34817398_1685355554846661_85005759849305

Under that it looks like it's hardwood (as is in the rest of the house).  But I don't know if it's in good enough shape to reveal.   I think we'll see if we can get the 2-3 layers of flooring up and see what the hardwood underneath looks like.  If it's too rough we could put down some flooring over it.

Edited by Doohickie

It would be a lot less expensive to install the badminton net.

????

The kitchen is getting involved. My wife hired some guy to take the wallpaper down. Under the ca. 1990 wallpaper was daisies!

<snip>

They've now been stripped off, leaving the bare walls.

<snip>

We need to decide what we'll do with the floor. There was a cabinet/breakfast table here, once it was removed it revealed the original 1956 flooring.

34817398_1685355554846661_85005759849305

Under that it looks like it's hardwood (as is in the rest of the house). But I don't know if it's in good enough shape to reveal. I think we'll see if we can get the 2-3 layers of flooring up and see what the hardwood underneath looks like. If it's too rough we could put down some flooring over it.

Wow, that's some vintage stuff under there! Aren't you worried about your doors being too short if you remove two layers of flooring?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.