The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

I may do floating hardwood upgrades, they seem easy enough, but the bathroom and kitchen I wanna eventually do, that's gonna be left to someone wayyyyyyyy more capable than me, the labor costs are often so much more than the parts that it's hard to justify sometimes... The closing costs are gonna keep me from doing anything soon anyways.

Holy moly -- 8 years?

That wasn't the plan obviously.  It's just that tiling is so invasive that after doing a section I took a break, and the breaks stretched out over long periods.  It's not like the job was literally in work all that time.  But I do consider it a single job since the finished product was continuous tile.

That wasn't the plan obviously. It's just that tiling is so invasive that after doing a section I took a break, and the breaks stretched out over long periods. It's not like the job was literally in work all that time. But I do consider it a single job since the finished product was continuous tile.

Yeah, that's kind of how the baseboard and door trim replacement project has been for me. Did a bunch before moving in, then took a break. Made another push several months ago, and took another break. I'm really not that far from being done, but I lost motivation and there are more fun things to do on the weekend!

Yeah, that's kind of how the baseboard and door trim replacement project has been for me. Did a bunch before moving in, then took a break. Made another push several months ago, and took another break. I'm really not that far from being done, but I lost motivation and there are more fun things to do on the weekend!

Breaks are important... still if you can find a handyman or woman to work along side you things tend to go faster, cheaper and errors can be spotted quicker.  I have one and am finishing up converting my old haul trailer into a camper.  Great learning experience.  Taken me 4 weekends and one more to finish.  Put off finishing the floor in the loft above the garage.  Gonna have to wait till after the road trip.  Have old boards I scavenged out the basement floor when it flooded and dried them out.  Burned the bad ones in the back fire pit. Then I need to start insulating the loft.   Gonna turn it into an studio apartment or man cave if I can get away with it... once done. It never ends, but I still really enjoy the work... P.S. Having someone to work with, I have learned which tools are necessary for jobs.  Keep an eye on tool sales especially as garage sale season is upon us.  Picked up a great tile cutter a few years back for $10.  And go to hardware stores and keep an eye out for drill bits, battery sales and other pieces that I know will use eventually.  Keeping my eye out for a decent used  log splitter... we shall see.

Do you or do you have families/friends who work in real estate?  

That sounds like the real estate broker/agent response I would hear when I worked in the industry.

haha no I just have allot of experience in buying and selling, I'm on my 3rd house since moving to Orlando

• 3 weeks later...

Bump ...

We really like this one ...

https://www.viewpoint.ca/cutsheet/201810977/1

It meets all of our biggest 'must haves'.  One issue ... dug well, as opposed to drilled.  Our agent is looking into if we can drill a well ... usually depends on how close the property is to the ocean.  Many just do a dug well even if one could be drilled due to the cost of drilling.  Drilled is much better ... just an FYI for all you city slickers out there on municipal water.

Maybe we will have some exciting news this Ramadan.

Bump ...

It meets all of our biggest 'must haves'.  One issue ... dug well, as opposed to drilled.  Our agent is looking into if we can drill a well ... usually depends on how close the property is to the ocean.  Many just do a dug well even if one could be drilled due to the cost of drilling.  Drilled is much better ... just an FYI for all you city slickers out there on municipal water.

Wow, NS, that is a gorgeous house. What a view!

Bump ...

Awesome house and it looks like a beautiful area.  Hope you get it!

Forgive my not knowing, and I suppose I could look it up, but, i think its better to just ask you and have a 'conversation' about it.  But what does Ramadan celebrate?  And is this when you fast dawn to dusk and party at sundown?  I served with a Muslim and remember when he would fast all day, just can't remember what holiday it was.

Awesome house and it looks like a beautiful area.  Hope you get it!

Forgive my not knowing, and I suppose I could look it up, but, i think its better to just ask you and have a 'conversation' about it.  But what does Ramadan celebrate?  And is this when you fast dawn to dusk and party at sundown?  I served with a Muslim and remember when he would fast all day, just can't remember what holiday it was.

Ramadan is the most holy month in Islam.  The Qur'an was revealed during Ramadan.  It is prescribed in the Qur'an that we fast (with some exceptions) from dawn until sunset, which is from 4:00 AM until 8:40 PM in Halifax.  It is a full fast ... food, drink (alcohol is forbidden always), sex, smokes, gossip (the hardest part ...  ;) ) ... 

Thanks for asking.

Ramadan is the most holy month in Islam.  The Qur'an was revealed during Ramadan.  It is prescribed in the Qur'an that we fast (with some exceptions) from dawn until sunset, which is from 4:00 AM until 8:40 PM in Halifax.  It is a full fast ... food, drink (alcohol is forbidden always), sex, smokes, gossip (the hardest part ...  ;) ) ... 

Thanks for asking.

Thanks, I appreciate the education. 

no gossip eh? i suppose you can't come on SS and talk trade proposals then!

NS, let's trade places :)

I won't trade, but you are welcome in NS.  We have room enough for everybody.

+++++

Thank you for your kind offer concerning my wife's health issues.

We are pretty sure she is not pregers though.  If she is it will be the second documented case of immaculate conception ..........  ;)

Joking aside ...

She is going for an EKG (why is it not ECG?) this coming Tuesday and is there anything that she should do / not do (fasting, no coffee ...) to prepare in order to have a good reading?

She is going for an EKG (why is it not ECG?) this coming Tuesday and is there anything that she should do / not do (fasting, no coffee ...) to prepare in order to have a good reading?

Both refer to the same procedure, however one is in English (electrocardiogram –ECG) and the other is based on the German spelling (elektrokardiogramm – EKG). It is common to use the German “EKG” in the United States because “ECG” sounds very similar to a different procedure called an EEG. Copied and pasted that.

Unlike a blood test, there isn't any restrictions on a an EC/KG

Both refer to the same procedure, however one is in English (electrocardiogram –ECG) and the other is based on the German spelling (elektrokardiogramm – EKG). It is common to use the German “EKG” in the United States because “ECG” sounds very similar to a different procedure called an EEG. Copied and pasted that.

Unlike a blood test, there isn't any restrictions on a an EC/KG

Thank you good sir.  I appreciate the info.  You just confirmed what the Mayo Clinic told me ... their site is pretty awesome and very informative.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.