NHL All-Star voting

Hoss

I might consider watchingnow that Scott made it...so that's something.

In a league made to be mediocre in order to keep a fans attention for most of the season, I see it more of a protest by fans. No one watches all stars games. This is the only reason to tune in, a reprieve from medicracy.

That was a lets mock Scott and mock the league vote.  I'd like to see him refuse to participate.

I'd rather see him play and wave a figurative middle finger in the face of the league. The all star game sucks. There was less than a 1% chance I'd watch it before hand but if Scott plays I'll likely dvr it and watch to see if he plays based on the game day thread from this board. John Scott is the everyman in this scenario. He's the lotto winner who doesn't belong at the snobby dinner party with the upper crusties of the world, even though he's on the list because he donated to the same charity. He's ordering a PBR tallboy while the rest of the snobs look over the wine list and he's having a pizza delivered while the rest of those snooty pukes are eating pate, goat cheese, and caviar.

Anyone coming down here for the All-Star game?

Hell no. Those ticket prices are outrageous for what is essentially an exhibition circle jerk for the players. The ASG should be free as a thank you to the fans for paying their outrageous salaries. 

Edited by d4rksabre

Ryan O'Reilly named an All-Star. Sidney Crosby is NOT.

Full roster is here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=796221

There is justice in the world. Now replace Scott with OEL or Domi 

O'Reilly deserves the All-Star spot. With only 3 defensemen per division, it's tough for Risto with guys like Karlsson and Subban in the division.

Very true. He's looking at a long climb for the rest of his career

O'Reilly deserves the All-Star spot. With only 3 defensemen per division, it's tough for Risto with guys like Karlsson and Subban in the division.

And then add Ekblad.  Going to be tough for Risto to crack that top 3, but I'm all for him trying to!  It will also help him if the Sabres improve as a team overall.

They really need to make an all pro-style list and be done with the game all together.  These games are already meaningless enough as is, but the combination of the positional requirements of this new structure and the "one player per team" rule is going to bring on a ton of annoying rants about how so and so was screwed over.

And then add Ekblad.  Going to be tough for Risto to crack that top 3, but I'm all for him trying to!  It will also help him if the Sabres improve as a team overall.

An argument could be made for Ristolainen over Ekblad this year. Don't disagree with Ekblad being deserving, but I think an argument can be made that Risto was too. Ristolainen has 26 points to Ekblad's 18. Of course, Ekblad's plus/minus is loads better, but he also plays on a significantly better team.

An argument could be made for Ristolainen over Ekblad this year. Don't disagree with Ekblad being deserving, but I think an argument can be made that Risto was too. Ristolainen has 26 points to Ekblad's 18. Of course, Ekblad's plus/minus is loads better, but he also plays on a significantly better team.

Exactly what I was saying.  Risto is going to have to have a monster season to overcome those factors and make the All-Star team as it's currently formatted.  Throw in the "name" factor because the other 3 are so well-known and popular around the league and it gets even tougher for him.

I feel like each conference should vote for the best 3 players from each team as selected by the players and coaches (so the coaches and players vote for the top 3 on each team).  That list should then be narrowed down by the fans. Finally the GM's should vote for their top 5 players, not on their own team and each GM vote is worth 10% of the fans vote.  The Game should be a 4v4 tourney based on the stupid division names some ####### ##### ####### ###### ###### #### ###### came up with.

Exactly what I was saying.  Risto is going to have to have a monster season to overcome those factors and make the All-Star team as it's currently formatted.  Throw in the "name" factor because the other 3 are so well-known and popular around the league and it gets even tougher for him.

Fair deuce. He is starting to make a name for himself, though. And his plus minus will go up when our team is better. If his points continue like this, he'll get in. He's becoming a star. Scoring the GWG at the WJC ads pedigree, as well.

Not to mention, the format for the ASG will change. It always does.

That's a debate I'd be very interested in hearing. 

He's a better leader, him and Campbell shut down the #1 lines on a regular basis, he knows when and when not to get involved on the offense and he's #6 in the league in Corsi Against/60 5v5 and #1 overall.

Risto's not even #1 on the team.

He's a better leader, him and Campbell shut down the #1 lines on a regular basis, he knows when and when not to get involved on the offense and he's #6 in the league in Corsi Against/60 5v5 and #1 overall.

Risto's not even #1 on the team.

Big part of the reason I think Florida will be desperate to keep Campbell. He's still very good. Could extend him for maybe two years to get him to retirement. Jagr, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance we could switch this thread to the ASG in general now that votings is over?

Here's a Q/A with ROR on the ASG 

13. If you could take one teammate to the All-Star Game, who would it be?

I don't know, there's a lot of good guys I'd take. I'd probably take my boy [Jamie McGinn]. Ginner and I have been good friends for a long time. He's a good guy and he'd enjoy all the honky-tonk and stuff. He'd be a good guy to go with.

4. Who from your divisional All-Star team would you put on your trio if you were the coach of the team?

I think [Erik] Karlsson would be pretty sweet. Playing against him, he's dangled me a few times and made me look bad so I think it'd be nice to be on the opposite end of that and working with him. I know he's quite the player and I think [Jaromir] Jagr. Just to say I was playing on a line with Jagr, working with Jagr, passing him the puck or whatever, that'd be pretty amazing.

1. What does being an All-Star mean to you personally?

It's an absolute honor. I obviously want to thank the fans for voting for me. But growing up watching the All-Star Game and seeing the names that were in that and guys I idolized, so for me to be considered as one of those guys, it's a true honor. You always dream of it. But to actually have it come true and be considered one of the top players, it's like a dream come true.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.