Sabres' stinky scoring

nfreeman

There's been a lot of grumbling, and rightly so, about this or that underperforming Sabre.  Many are down on Ennis, others on Gionta, some (including me) on Moulson, etc.  Many also have criticisms of DDB's line combos.

Bottom line is that the Sabres are 5th-worst in goals, 4th-worst in 5x5 goals and have scored 1 goal in 7 out of their 18 games (and have scored 2 goals in another 3 of their games).

Defensively, at 18th in goals against per game, they've been more sound than I would guess most of us expected, both in net and in defensive zone play. 

It's too simple to say that since goals against are much improved, but scoring still stinks, then it must be the fault of the forwards -- but still -- other than ROR and perhaps Ennis, none of the forwards is producing at a good rate.  Moulson has 4 goals, Kane has 1 (in 8 games before getting hurt), Gionta and Foligno have 1 each, Larsson has 0, etc.

What gives, and what do we need to do about it?

Perhaps Eichel, you mean?

I did consider that question, but although Jackie's goals have been scintillating, his assist total -- and overall offensive production when he's on the ice -- isn't where we'd like it.  Ennis may be in the doghouse with some right now, but his overall production has been pretty solid.

Get lucky.

Fancy stats say we should be scoring more. It's just puck luck.

I've been trying to get lucky for weeks now. The lady is having none of it :bag:

Honestly, I think if we had buried a few of the 'should have been goals' chances we've had this year, the scoring disparity for the Sabres wouldn't be newsworthy at all.

I agree with all of Freeman's sentiments here.

I love the way Dan has us playing hockey, have no qualms with his "system". Don't like player usage and line combos. Not sure if the players we have can mesh well on all lines in any given combination, ie, there always seems to be a player or two on a line that doesn't make sense but we can't find a solution that would seem to make sense. Too many left-shot forwards?

There's been a lot of grumbling, and rightly so, about this or that underperforming Sabre.  Many are down on Ennis, others on Gionta, some (including me) on Moulson, etc.  Many also have criticisms of DDB's line combos.

Bottom line is that the Sabres are 5th-worst in goals, 4th-worst in 5x5 goals and have scored 1 goal in 7 out of their 18 games (and have scored 2 goals in another 3 of their games).

Defensively, at 18th in goals against per game, they've been more sound than I would guess most of us expected, both in net and in defensive zone play. 

It's too simple to say that since goals against are much improved, but scoring still stinks, then it must be the fault of the forwards -- but still -- other than ROR and perhaps Ennis, none of the forwards is producing at a good rate.  Moulson has 4 goals, Kane has 1 (in 8 games before getting hurt), Gionta and Foligno have 1 each, Larsson has 0, etc.

My heart wants to say its the lack of chemistry still. I'm  still patient. I think Girgenson, Gionta and Moulson will start connecting. One thing is for sure, we can't blame the defense, they have really done pretty well contributing. Fransen, Risto, McCabe and I hope Bogo are all pretty good at the O. I think they will put it together and make the playoffs 

Would we be higher in the goals standings if we hadn't 3 of them taken away by challenges?   :ph34r:

My take is, our wings aren't talented enough yet.  We've got centers.  Ennis and Kane are the only decent scoring wingers we've got right now.  Kane coming back should help.

Would we be higher in the goals standings if we hadn't 3 of them taken away by challenges?   :ph34r:

My take is, our wings aren't talented enough yet.  We've got centers.  Ennis and Kane are the only decent scoring wingers we've got right now.  Kane coming back should help.

+1.  I will add that Pysyk, Risto, McCabe,  Franson  and now Bogo help offensively if for nothing other than being able to pass out of the zone.  Cola is ok but Weber and Gorges not so much.  I think Bogo's presence will help scoring considerably.   

Considering where they were just last season, this is an improvement.     

I will say this.   Coach Bylsma needs to leave some line combinations alone for a bit.     O'Reilly with Ennis and Moulson were generating chances, as was Eichel with Kane and Reinhart.     Keep those lines together for 10 games or so before pulling the plug. 

Waaaaaaay too busy to look it up or tryto do a regression on my own, but how much of the apparent lack of goal scoring can be attributed to playing at least 1/3 of their games against top echelon teams?

The mix of opponents they'll face after they finally get out of November should lead to a bit of an uptick on its own, neglecting the "chemistry" aspect of surviving the 1st 2 months? Right?

Waaaaaaay too busy to look it up or tryto do a regression on my own, but how much of the apparent lack of goal scoring can be attributed to playing at least 1/3 of their games against top echelon teams?

The mix of opponents they'll face after they finally get out of November should lead to a bit of an uptick on its own, neglecting the "chemistry" aspect of surviving the 1st 2 months? Right?

Just to play devils advocate, Tampa Is a great team but they have not been very impressive against other teams, just us, lol. This stretch with the Stars and Blues is pretty difficult and they played "ok" against a good stars team.

If we can get a five-game look at:

McGinn O'Reilly Ennis

Moulson Eichel Girgensons

Kane Reinhart Gionta

Deslauriers Larsson Foligno

I will be a happy man

(Don't give me that Kane can't be on the third, this is about three balanced lines at even strength and an energy line.)

A few observations over the last stretch of games:

Eichel's movement with the puck seems to be curtailed from where it was at the start of the year, and his production is down as a result. I would love to see him have freedom with the puck. Not sure who told him not to, or if the opposing teams are just taking him away.(I doubt that teams suddenly solved his game.)

Reinhart has been pushed down the lineup and I would like to see him up on a higher line. He has done as much to justify being on a top line as Gionta or Moulson.

The Sabres looked the team of old with all their shots that missed the net. Some were intentional -- trying to get a bounce off the boards -- but NONE of them created chances. And the number of shots that simply missed -- hit the f#%@-ing net!

Hate to be a debbie downer here (yeah right), but I fear that puck luck will be one of the casualties of this season. I fear that DB's system is working well, we just don't have the finishers beyond Jack, Sam and Ryan. Moulson appears to be hitting a wall. Who's going to score from the back end besides Risto?

Too early to panic. I would give it another month before I start to seriously worry about our scoring. Scoring is low around the league it seems like. The rest of the months schedule looks pretty tough and I would wait until the middle of December before I make any real judgements. Actually they have played up to my expectations so far. Maybe my expectations were too low but they are all playing with each other for a very short period of time at this point. Goaltending has been better than expected as has our defense in my opinion. I'll give forward lines more time to get together before I panic.

Looking at the forwards roster and I don't see many that are huge goal scorers in the league. Sure there are many that can score,but not many that do it ALOT.

I have never been as high on Moulson as many here, I thi K he is overrated by many and not much more then a mid level player. Ennis is in the doghouse cause he cost them 2 goals by being offsides and Kanes been hurt. Gionta I do think is going to give you much more at his age then being a veteran locker room presence/leader. On the ice I don't see him making much of an impact.

Too early to panic. I would give it another month before I start to seriously worry about our scoring. Scoring is low around the league it seems like. The rest of the months schedule looks pretty tough and I would wait until the middle of December before I make any real judgements. Actually they have played up to my expectations so far. Maybe my expectations were too low but they are all playing with each other for a very short period of time at this point. Goaltending has been better than expected as has our defense in my opinion. I'll give forward lines more time to get together before I panic.

Nice first few posts - keep em coming!

the general consensus at the beginning of the year was that this team would struggle for the first few months because the entire team is new and needs to develop chemistry. The team playing better than expected and being around .500 (not the DeLuca .500 mind you) has probably accelerated expectations a bit. The fans haven't seen winning hockey in a long time and have gotten greedy. We still have multiple 19-22 yr olds playing significant minutes on a nightly basis.

Pretty notable graphic when it comes to the argument that the Sabres puck luck has been crap.

http://www.tsn.ca/stars-attack-proving-balanced-and-relentless-1.396442

in-tight-shots-and-goals.png

They're getting the second most shots in close per game but are in the bottom five for goals for there.

and it's not like their neighbor Chicago has a bunch of untalented losers shooting either.

Pretty notable graphic when it comes to the argument that the Sabres puck luck has been crap.

http://www.tsn.ca/stars-attack-proving-balanced-and-relentless-1.396442

(sweet graoh)

They're getting the second most shots in close per game but are in the bottom five for goals for there.

Sweet graph, thanks for sharing  :beer:

and it's not like their neighbor Chicago has a bunch of untalented losers shooting either.

Well they're right there with all of the best teams in the league, the 2nd chart of such that depicts how well we've been playing, but how our luck has been. Plus, we've had 3 reversed goals

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.