After 15 games, who is the most surprising Sabre?

Kelly the Dog

Gotta agree with those saying McCabe. He has been a revelation. 

I am not at all surprised by Reinhart. He does a lot of little things right on the ice, mostly because he plays a very composed game and lets the play come to him. I saw plenty of that even last year in his nine game stint, too. He was putting pucks in areas that guys were supposed to be, but weren't. 

On the negative side, I agree with those that said Matty Mo. He is a step too slow for this newly minted fast skating team, but I thought he'd be more productive at this juncture. 

GO SABRES!!!

O'Reilly had 26 points as both a rookie and a sophomore getting ~16 minutes on the 3rd line, then busted out when he got moved into the top-6 in his third season and getting over 19 minutes. Reinhart's on pace for 27 points while averaging just over 10 minutes and getting bounced all over the lineup. Obviously Reinhart was the more hyped prospect, but we all know that draft was viewed as pretty mediocre. So, maybe O'Reilly numbers, or a smidge better? 

I guess I'm not seeing the skill game I'd hoped for.  Kid is playing solid, and def *gets* the NHL game. Seems versatile enough for sure.  I was hoping to see more obvious offense out of him, at least in flashes.  It could still come.

thinking on it some more..... maybe it is not aggressive offense, and I was expecting a more assertive offensive game.  Again, at least in flashes.

Edited by We've

I guess I'm not seeing the skill game I'd hoped for. Kid is playing solid, and def *gets* the NHL game. Seems versatile enough for sure. I was hoping to see more obvious offense out of him, at least in flashes. It could still come.

thinking on it some more..... maybe it is not aggressive offense, and I was expecting a more assertive offensive game. Again, at least in flashes.

I suppose I never really expected that type of game from him, especially as a rookie, but even long term. At the World Juniors where he was legitimately great, I saw his offense more as opportunistic and precise than as assertive.

That said, I'd really like to see him get an extended look in the top-6. When health permits I'd love to see a Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart line together for a stretch.

I suppose I never really expected that type of game from him, especially as a rookie, but even long term. At the World Juniors where he was legitimately great, I saw his offense more as opportunistic and precise than as assertive.

That said, I'd really like to see him get an extended look in the top-6. When health permits I'd love to see a Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart line together for a stretch.

Just a flash.  I really thought we'd see a flash by now.  Makes me curious about what to expect long term.

I'm with eleven on risto, guy is ballin

Should it not be Puckin' :wallbash:

For me, It has been R O'R, and Jack. McCabe, and Risto a mention for sure. Outside of Moulson, and Gio the whole team has surprised me. A lot of that has to do with finally having a coach that can teach.....

Edited by DirtDart

I know its the easy answer but the whole damn team for me is by far outplaying where I thought they'd be. Honestly I was prepared for more suffering and now I'm not so sure we will get any. Sure there will be hickups, there always is. If I have to pick a name I'll go with Risto. This guy could become our own Lidstrom.

My biggest surprise is really Franson. I knew he was slow. But he is really surprisingly slow.  

So that's my biggest surprise. Franson is a three-toed sloth skating with a 120 lb pack, uphill. 

Now dont beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel.  

I know its the easy answer but the whole damn team for me is by far outplaying where I thought they'd be. Honestly I was prepared for more suffering and now I'm not so sure we will get any. Sure there will be hickups, there always is. If I have to pick a name I'll go with Risto. This guy could become our own Lidstrom.

The fact that so many players have been mentioned as pleasant surprises almost makes your answer the only answer. The whole team, especially because they so quickly bought into Byslma, has been surprising. Yesterday was a treat. It seems like so long ago the team played a game like that on the road against an allegedly good team.

My biggest surprise is really Franson. I knew he was slow. But he is really surprisingly slow.  

So that's my biggest surprise. Franson is a three-toed sloth skating with a 120 lb pack, uphill. 

Franson is a nice surprise for me, Yes he is slow, and I expected it , but his positioning and hockey IQ makes up for it.

Allthough his lack of speed sometimes still gets him out of position.

Franson is a nice surprise for me, Yes he is slow, and I expected it , but his positioning and hockey IQ makes up for it.

Allthough his lack of speed sometimes still gets him out of position.

As long as we can keep him off the ice when the speed burners are on it, Franson looks solid to me.

Gionta.

I thought he was brought in to lead a rag tag and young Sabres team, but thought it was maybe a feel good signing of a local (more, or less) guy and nothing more.

Pleasantly surprised that Gionta still has what it takes to lead a young team as they transition into a better team.  He is showing these kids what it takes to win. 

As long as we can keep him off the ice when the speed burners are on it, Franson looks solid to me.

Yeah just think when Bogo gets back, he'll get limited 3rd pairing Ice time, but he can still work his magic on the PP.

Gionta.

I thought he was brought in to lead a rag tag and young Sabres team, but thought it was maybe a feel good signing of a local (more, or less) guy and nothing more.

Pleasantly surprised that Gionta still has what it takes to lead a young team as they transition into a better team.  He is showing these kids what it takes to win. 

Hard to find many as positive as you about Gionta, Yes he might be a good leader off the ice, but on the ice I feel like like there slowly isn't any room for him anymore.  

I'm going with Pysyk. He's just so calm and buttery. He has a five foot pass that he makes when it looks like he is completely tied up on the boards, with multiple people from both sides, and he somehow sees a team mate that he is not even looking at, and the puck is moving out of the zone,...

It's pretty awesome.

I'm going with Pysyk. He's just so calm and buttery. He has a five foot pass that he makes when it looks like he is completely tied up on the boards, with multiple people from both sides, and he somehow sees a team mate that he is not even looking at, and the puck is moving out of the zone,...

It's pretty awesome.

Not a surprise for me.  He was like that two years ago.

I thought the team would be good, so, overall, I guess I'm not surprised with how they have looked the past few weeks. I won't be surprised if they roller coaster into a WC slot.

A little surprised the D corps is as solid as it is, but that little surprise is aided by the main surprise to me which would be Bylsma. I, too, didn't watch the Penguins close enough to get a feel for the coaching, but the fact he was fired put a stigma on him for me. And he's goofy. But, I really dig his coaching and liken it to what Lindy Ruff may have been trying to do here, except that it's being done correctly.

I would say McGinn is also a surprise. I saw him as a salary dump for Colorado, but I do like what he brings to the team.

As for Samson, I think he's doing just fine. I'd peg his game, when it matures, as a ROR type or Pominville type of game. But I think he has better hockey smarts than Pominville.

Ullmark.

He was supposed to be out longer and was slated for the AHL.

He is winning games for us already.

Linus is our only current player who wasn't supposed to be on the roster, let alone be our starting goaltender.  Anyone who isn't surprised to see Linus holding down the fort in net is lying.  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.