The Swedish view of hockey

Doohickie

MODO Hockey started telling us all about Swedish hockey and Swedish prospects over in the Ullmark thread; I invite him to branch off into a thread just for him.  Come on in and tell us story, MODO.  A couple quotes from the Ullmark thread to get us started:

Much appreciation for the warm welcome here :wub:

Regarding Forsberg, we are many that agree. He is one of the best players that has played the game, he had it all, with respect to other great players of present time and now.

I have literally watched his tribute video on tube 1000 times, gives me the goosebumbs every single time. God was he a beast.

Anyway, to your question.

I have never been to an NHL game, longing for it though, so i dont know how to compare, but ill do my best to explain how it is to go to a MODO game.

We take hockey very seriously here, hockey is spoken of just everywhere in this town, just as you guys do, but there are things at the actuall game/arena that makes us and you different.

Our town is small, about 25.000 ppl living close to the City, and all together 50.000 in the town district.

So you see, all we got is MODO Hockey, no other sport is big here, so everyone is about MODO i guess, that lives here and are into sports, kind of.

For one thing we have cheeringsquads, each team has one, ours is called Lumberjacks. Lumberjacks makes TIFOs, sing all the game long, make the audience sing along etc.

Were not allowed to drink a beer at the actuall seat (freggin sucks ass if you ask me), many of us are very jealous of how you guys have it at your games. Eventhough that

the game should not be about drinking beer, but god is it lovely to have a beer to a hockeygame :flirt:

Our Arena is much smaller than urs, we have capacity of 7800, and our team has been struggling like urs since we took home the SHL championship 2007.

So its hard to fill the Arena these days, unfortunatly, we have around 5000+- these games, but if we reach playoffs we fill it easy. Its an supernice Arena, that was built 2007,

it has it all, just in an smaller case than urs.

Audience is split into two, seats on 2 longsides and 1 shortside, on the other shortside is where Lumberjacks stands, together with others, and here ppl stand up all the game.

I provide an video from an swedish game between Djurgarden and HV71, Djurgarden has the best cheeringsquad, but it explains how the culture works here in Sweden pretty much.

Each cheeringsquad has its frontman, and what he says in this video is basicly:

"What do we think of HV71 ???"

And the squad answers, "BAAAD! :censored: "

"HOW BAD?!"

And squad answers, "F-ING BAD!!!! :censored: "

"WHAT DO WE THINK OF DJURGARDEN?"

And squad answers, "GOOD"

"HOW GOOD?"

And squad goes "F-ING GOOD! :w00t: "

And he does it over and over until everyone screams, and then a goal comes which is quite noticeble hehe..

But yea, here in Ornskoldsvik, MODO Hockey is the red thread in this town basicly. Everyone is involved, someway, somehow.

If you want more specific answers on more specific questions, just ask.

If anyone would like to come over, ill be glad to house you. ;)

Allright, ill try to explain how this part works in Sweden as far as i can.

It works pretty much like this:

Today, almost every SHL team have their own Hockey highschool (16 years to 19), back in the days when

Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund etc grew up, Sweden had only a couple, MODO was one of them.

Now days, as above.

But, that doesnt mean you will attend to that SHL team, based on information above. It is always up to the player and his parents in the end, to decide which team you want to play for. Allthough, for obvious reasons, most players tend to visit SHL clubs before signing with the actuall school, and tends to play for that team in the end.

The teams have pretty big organization around this part, where SHL teams work hard to show how they apreciate specific players they would like to see grow in their organization, giving them a picture of the "future", how it could be like here, and in the end its up to the player to decide.

This school works as any highscool. just with more hockey.

SHL does not have drafts, as i wrote above its in the end always up to the player him self to decide, together with his parents.

Most young players, with bright future, growing up in Ornskoldsvik, will get their chance in MODO Hockey, SHL.

Our juniourleague is filled with skilled young players, sometimes more entertaining than watching SHL.

For you guys that follow the junior world championship know what im talking about, Ullmark was a BEAST in the juniorleague, thats why he climbed so fast up to SHL.

I hope that gives you the answers u want! :)

Edited by The Big Johnson

Well Gustav Possler had a really bright future until he was hurt badly by Ansi Salmela, an really uggly hit.

After that, Gustav Possler have tried so hard to find his 'good old days', he has so much hockey within, but

after this hit, where he was injured badly, and he missed that years JWC, and after all this sh1t happend he lost him

self, and he has never been himself since. He is trying very hard though, and we all have big hopes for him.

Here is an video/interview (In swedish though) with Gustav and a recap from a game which he scored twice (1 aborted), just before he got injured.

Possler is '33.

Victor Olofsson is one hell of an player, and you gonna love this dude.

Ive been watching SHL for about 22 years in a row now, and i dont believe i have seen

anyone with a wristshot like Victor Olofsson. This wristshot, is always, so precise, so accurate, and so freggin hard. It is beautiful to watch this young man play, and he is gonna be with you next season most likely.

He has ofcourse more than just a beautiful wristshot, he has speed, he has skills like no other juniour in MODO, and he has the power to create speed and space for his team with his technique.

I would say he is an light version of Jack eichle, you gonna love this kid.

Well it all depends, Victor is playing 3rd line, and he plays the powerplay.

Its hard to say, since all good young players gets taken by the NHL from us :flirt:

But, never the less, Victor has done 10 points (3 goals, 7 assists) in 15 games, in a team that has taken

10 points in 15 games, MODO is doing really bad this season, headcoach together with his 2 assistant coaches got fired

the other week, and new coaches are hired. Our team is having an real hard time as we speak, and its very annoying since we have an nice team on paper, its just not working on the ice.

So, with that information, Victor is doing well, to be honest.

In an more normal situation, as an answer to your question, 30 points or more on a season is good, for playing in 3rd line.

And Victor will reach 30 points no doubt.

SHL is 52 games per season.

I for one am looking forward to getting a peek at Olofsson in the Sabres Blue and Gold.

Great idea, Mr. Big. I've always enjoyed international games on television and web based video of the crowd. MODO's had me googling for a couple of days. Olofsson is now a person. It was a name.

Impression: The sweet wrist shot MODO described is, indeed, hard and accurate. Is the release quick? I'm torn. I'll let the learned inform me.

Impression: Cultural differences + same event = different events.

I also re-visited the Forsburg career. Beast. His style and mythic good looks bring me to Thor.

Thor's Norse. Do Swedes consider themselves Norse? It's a broad word.

Ahh, cool! i agree, Ullmark should have his own thread. 

Ill post here, and answer to any questions you guys have. :D

I feel like MODO is my adopted SHL team.

Hehe, 

I was thinking the other day, how freggin nice it would be to have what you guys have with Rochester Americans. 

Buffalo / MODO Hockey, would be so awesome!

Maybe one day in the future.

Might as well ask a couple questions:

1. How does the SHL compare to the other European leagues in terms of talent, style of play, etc.? For example, in the Canadian Junior system, the QMJHL tends to be very offense-based and few forwards come out of that league as solid two-way players. The WHL (Western Juniors) tends to be a tougher, more defensive league.
  2. When you watch NHL hockey, does the lack of advertising in the circles and on the jerseys seem odd? When I watch clips from Europe it always seems like there's a lot of branding. In contrast, if you watch old NHL clips the all-white boards and mostly blank ice looks odd to me too.
  3. Are those pancakes with bacon in them mentioned in the Dragon Tattoo books a real Swedish thing, and do they taste as good as they sound?

You're gonna scare the guy/gal off. Too much too soon. Plus, we already have our hot Swede, dannepanne. Doesn't anybody care about his feelings?

Hey, screw Dannepanne. He (she?) never offered to indulge our Swede-curious questions. :)

Edited by MattPie

We'll get Pegula on it. He needs some European investments.

Does MODO have any guys in their MODO Jr. system we should watch for the upcoming NHL draft?

Carl Grundström

2741.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=113516

Last season with J20, 21 goals, 15 assists, 27 games. That is awesome!

And this guy will go in the first rond of players in upcomming NHL draft. Some compare him with an young Peter Forsberg, which might be to unreal, but i would say he has those skills that not many players have, to see the game in other perspectives, a nice slapshot, fast skater, and fearless.

But, one guy is on his way from below, jesus christ. 

You all know Tie domi, the little beast.

I dont believe any1 would have thought his son would play NHL the way he does today. His son is awesome, and he scored twice last game. 

We have an legend here in Ornskoldsvik, MODO Hockey, named Magnus Wernblom. His jersey hangs up in the roof of our Arena.

He was SHL tie domi for many years, and now his son (Lukas Wernblom) won "TV Pucken", which is swedens biggest tourney for 15 year old players and this tourney pretty much says it all.

Markus Naslund, Peter Forsberg, Hans Jonsson, Niklas Sundstrom, they won this tourney, and look now. I believe that many player in this specific group of MODO players will reach nhl within next 3-5 years. Shaitlods of skills!

He is amazing, and he will go very early in the draft 2 years from now, that is what i believe.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281757

What the heck does MODO mean?

MODO, the name, comes from basicly two things. 

Moliden

Domsjo

Moliden and Domsjo is 2 suburbs to Ornskoldsvik. 

Also MODOs biggest sponsor back in the day was Mo och Domsjö Paper, which was created from local gentleman in the start

back in the old days.

So, now you know. :)

Let me ask this:  MODO, what do you know about Linus Omark?  He was in North America for a few years, he's back in the KHL now.

Well, 

His brother is involved in MODO Hockey. 

Linus him self is an very talanted player, to bad he never really got things working out for him in NHL.

Maybe he had to high hopes for him self and could not take the part that somethings takes time an patience.

He has succeeded anywhere he has played, except NHL. Might be lack of strength, size, or just his mind.

Seeing him play kinda gives you the feeling he is abit of an "Me i and myself" if you know what i mean.

Edited by MODO Hockey

Might as well ask a couple questions:

1. How does the SHL compare to the other European leagues in terms of talent, style of play, etc.? For example, in the Canadian Junior system, the QMJHL tends to be very offense-based and few forwards come out of that league as solid two-way players. The WHL (Western Juniors) tends to be a tougher, more defensive league.
  2. When you watch NHL hockey, does the lack of advertising in the circles and on the jerseys seem odd? When I watch clips from Europe it always seems like there's a lot of branding. In contrast, if you watch old NHL clips the all-white boards and mostly blank ice looks odd to me too.
  3. Are those pancakes with bacon in them mentioned in the Dragon Tattoo books a real Swedish thing, and do they taste as good as they sound?

1. I would say SHL is the portal into NHL, it has been this way for a long time now. In SHL you need to be able to play like you describe players you wanna see come out of these leagues. Many players have signed with MODO over the years, because players know that if you do good in MODO, NHL will be watching you for sure.

Other than that, i would say SHL is the best league in Europe other than KHL that now has taken over, we cant compete with the russian dollahz! :( 

SHL is an respected league in Europe, clubs really take close care of talant, and give players everything they need to become successful as an hockeyplayer, and human beeing. 

2. I dont really think about it watching an NHL game, maybe i will now, but yea its been this way all along here in Sweden, its one of the biggest ways the clubs gets their cashflow in terms of sponsors. Allthough, i wish it would look like NHL in SHL, advertising-wize. 

3. Haha yea, well, its not really pancakes as you know em, Its thick pancakes, like panpizza thick. And yes, its freggin awesome.

DSC_1569.jpg

I'm a little partial toward Linkoping, since my cousin plays for them (Andrew Gordon).

Cool ! 

Linkoping has a good team this year, they gonna go far, and Gordon is doing well!

Carl Grundström[/size]2741.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=113516

Last season with J20, 21 goals, 15 assists, 27 games. That is awesome!

And this guy will go in the first rond of players in upcomming NHL draft. Some compare him with an young Peter Forsberg, which might be to unreal, but i would say he has those skills that not many players have, to see the game in other perspectives, a nice slapshot, fast skater, and fearless.

But, one guy is in his way from below, jesus christ. 

You all know Tie domi, the little beast.

I dont believe any1 would have thought his son would play NHL the way he does today. His son is awesome, and he scored twice last game. 

We have an legend here in Ornskoldsvik, MODO Hockey, named Magnus Wernblom. His jersey hangs up in the roof of our Arena.

He was SHL tie domi for many years, and now his son (Lukas Wernblom) won "TV Pucken", which is swedens biggest tourney for 15 year old players and this tourney pretty much says it all.

Markus Naslund, Peter Forsberg, Hans Jonsson, Niklas Sundstrom, they won this tourney, and look now. I believe that many player in this specific group of MODO players will reach nhl within next 3-5 years. Shaitlods of skills!

He is amazing, and he will go very early in the draft 2 years from now, that is what i believe.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281757

MODO, the name, comes from basicly two things. 

Moliden

Domsjo

Moliden and Domsjo is 2 suburbs to Ornskoldsvik. 

Also MODOs biggest sponsor back in the day was Mo och Domsjö Paper, which was created from local gentleman in the start

back in the old days.

So, now you know. :) 

Well, 

His brother is involved in MODO Hockey. 

Linus him self is an very talanted player, to bad he never really got things working out for him in NHL.

Maybe he had to high hopes for him self and could not take the part that somethings takes time an patience.

He has succeeded anywhere he has played, except NHL. Might be lack of strength, size, or just his mind.

Seeing him play kinda gives you the feeling he is abit of an "Me i and myself" if you know what i mean.

Welcome again, great posts, as you you may now realize, there is a group of dedicated posters who love to analyze the crap out of all things related to the Sabres and Hockey. Sometimes it may be a little much, but everything is good with a little salt. The one thing most of us have expressed is a desire to better understand talent in Europe. Hopefully you are the first of many joining this board.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.