Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

Didn't see the game but watching the goals, it seems to be the defense was horrible on each of them.

Ullmark got left hanging by his teammates in the 1st period, those are 3 high quality chances they gave to tampa bay.

Agreed entirely. Not one of those goals was his fault

Disco Dan agrees

Often when a coach switches goaltenders, it’s a subtle attempt to spark the team. Dan Bylsma wasn’t subtle about it Thursday when he pulled Linus Ullmark.

“I said it pretty loudly after the first, so I think he got the message,” Bylsma said. “I don’t know how he’s going to handle it, but I made it pretty clear it wasn’t because he wasn’t ready or he wasn’t able to make a save. He was hung out to dry.”

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/11/05/sabres-ullmark-gets-little-help-in-brutal-first-period-of-loss-to-tampa-bay-lightning/

It's an interesting question.  If Linus gets the start, I think it will be a pretty clear indicator that DDB wants Linus to be the #1.

Wants him to be the starter at present, or moving forward after Lehner returns?

My take is, right now he and CJ are comparable (both have strengths w/ a glaring weakness). However, much of Ullmark's weakness can be assumed to be due to recovering from hip surgery and there is a reasonable expectation that he'll improve as he gets back to game shape. (Getting used to the smaller rinks would also improve w/ more work, though I truly don't see rinksize being an issue for him.) CJ most likely is what he is at this point and significant amounts of work won't make him better at handling the puck in tight to his body - though I'd be real interested in seeing him try a mask that's cut a little lower at the eyes (to see if somehow his issues w/ playing the puck near him isn't vision induced).

If DB agrees that they're comparable or believes LU is better at this point, might as well give him the bulk of the work.

Hey sabre fans, greetings from Sweden   :w00t: 

With Ullmark you now have lots of new fans!!

We sat up last night, guys at work (01 at night in Sweden) to watch the game against Vancouver, which is quite special for us MODO fans, since the Sedin twins are born and raised here in Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey, 

just as Ullmark is, almost anyway since he did 2 seasons in his younger days in a close to Ornskoldsvik town, Kramfors.

We have had great players coming from our little northern town in Sweden, Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey into NHL.

Players such as Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel/Henrik Sedin, Per Svartvadet, Nicklas Sundstrom, Matthias Timander, Alexander Edler, Hans Jonsson, Mats Zuccarello Aasen.

Most of them born here and raised here in Ornskoldsvik. 

Anyway .. 

Ive seen Ullmark since he started in MODO Hockeys J20 (Juniors), and when he started playing for MODO Hockey in SHL he showed us all why he is with Sabers right now in his young age. 

This goalie is in my own and others opinion Swedens next Henrik Lundqvist, give him some time to adjust to NHL, smaller rink and the system, and to be able to heal as an player from his hip sugerys.

Your team with Ullmark and Lehner will for sure reach the playoffs, im sure of it. And its gonna be freggin great to follow Sabers now with Ullmark, he can sometimes do saves like no other, and his spirit on and off the ice

will make you love him, he really likes to show how much he apreciates the fans and the support that his team gets from you guys and you will see it coming more and more.

Well met,  :worthy:

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

Edited by MODO Hockey

Wants him to be the starter at present, or moving forward after Lehner returns?

My take is, right now he and CJ are comparable (both have strengths w/ a glaring weakness). However, much of Ullmark's weakness can be assumed to be due to recovering from hip surgery and there is a reasonable expectation that he'll improve as he gets back to game shape. (Getting used to the smaller rinks would also improve w/ more work, though I truly don't see rinksize being an issue for him.) CJ most likely is what he is at this point and significant amounts of work won't make him better at handling the puck in tight to his body - though I'd be real interested in seeing him try a mask that's cut a little lower at the eyes (to see if somehow his issues w/ playing the puck near him isn't vision induced).

If DB agrees that they're comparable or believes LU is better at this point, might as well give him the bulk of the work.

Ocho Johnson is probably what we've seen. He scares the hell out of me handling the puck as well. 

He's not the future, and probably we've seen his upside. He'll give you a chance to win most games, but  he'll outright lose a few too. 

Might as well groom Ullmark with starts if your chances are about even and you are gambling on a higher ceiling. 

Hey sabre fans, grettings from Sweden   :w00t: 

We sat up last night, guys at work (01 at night in Sweden) to watch the game against Vancouver, which is quite special for us MODO fans, since the Sedin twins are born and raised here in Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey, 

just as Ullmark is, almost anyway since he did 2 seasons in his younger days in a close to Ornskoldsvik town, Kramfors.

We have had great players coming from our little northern town in Sweden, Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey into NHL.

Players such as Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel/Henrik Sedin, Per Svartvadet, Nicklas Sundstrom, Matthias Timander, Alexander Edler, Hans Jonsson, Mats Zuccarello Aasen.

Anyway .. 

Ive seen Ullmark since he started in MODO Hockeys J20 (Juniors), and when he started playing for MODO Hockey in SHL he showed us all why he is with Sabers right now in his young age. 

This goalie is in my own and others opinion Swedens next Henrik Lundqvist, give him some time to adjust to NHL, smaller rink and the system, and to be able to heal as an player from his hip sugerys.

Your team with Ullmark and Lehner will for sure reach the playoffs, im sure of it. And its gonna be freggin great to follow Sabers now with Ullmark, he can sometimes do saves like no other, and his spirit on and off the ice

will make you love him, he really likes to show how much he apreciates the fans and the support that his team gets from you guys and you will see it coming more and more.

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

Welcome MODO. Fun to have you here. 

Hey sabre fans, grettings from Sweden   :w00t: 

Anyway .. 

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

:wub:

Hey sabre fans, greetings from Sweden   :w00t: 

Anyway .. 

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

Welcome. I'm glad you're here. You bring a perspective we don't hear often enough.

Go MODO!

Welcome MODO. There's something about Ullmark I like, despite my criticisms of his current form. He's got hockey charisma for sure. Your post verifies this in a way: not every European player has a fan follow him with such enthusiasm.

Hey sabre fans, greetings from Sweden :w00t:

Anyway ..

Well met, :worthy:

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

Welcome MODO and great post. Keep them coming!

Those are some great players that have played in your city. Forsberg was one of the best players I have ever seen.

I would be curious to hear what going to a MODO game is like, if you feel like posting about it.

I think most of us here have high hopes for ullmark. He may take the job from our other Swedish goalie, Robin Lehner. I'm fairly optimistic that one of them will develop into a good-to-very-good NHL goalie.

We also have your countryman Johann Larsson on the Sabres. He's in his first full year at the NHL level and has been a bit up and down. There were reports last year that he was unhappy with his role, which were effectively confirmed by the GM in an interview a few days ago. Still, he's a good skater who plays a fairly physical game and shows flashes of offensive skill, so he could develop into a good player.

Enjoy the late games!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.