GDT: Montréal @ Buffalo, 7:00pm edt, 10/23/2015

Doohickie

First of all, tip of the hat to Moe-Ray-All. They are by far the best team we've seen this season and they play a beautiful game of hockey. Lest we forget, not that long ago, they were a lottery team in transition. They are an example of what happens when you acquire good young players and give them a chance to gel. They look like they've been playing together for a long time. That can be our blueprint.

Chad Johnson looked tired and when a mediocre goalie gets tired, he is a disaster which I think he was tonight. I hope Ullmark can Wally Pipp his career as a starter.

Girgensons is in a funk. He needs to be on Eichel's wing replacing Gionta, who hasn't contributed anything that I can see.

We need Bogo back soon. Not that he was bad tonight necessarily, but I can't stand Weber's game. He's a liability. Fransen is slow as growing mold, but has a tad of offensive upside and his shot usually gets through.

Best part about tonight? Reinhart and Eichel. Our two youngest. Nice.

I'll be looking to see how they respond to their worst performance of the year. I know it's a second of a back to back tomorrow, but it's gut check time. This is when the O'Reilly's on the team set the example. Tomorrow is a great opportunity for this young team.

GO SABRES!!!

Good post. I agree on all counts.

NJ provides an opportunity to regroup tomorrow. Let's see how they respond.

First of all, tip of the hat to Moe-Ray-All. They are by far the best team we've seen this season and they play a beautiful game of hockey. Lest we forget, not that long ago, they were a lottery team in transition. They are an example of what happens when you acquire good young players and give them a chance to gel. They look like they've been playing together for a long time. That can be our blueprint. 

Chad Johnson looked tired and when a mediocre goalie gets tired, he is a disaster which I think he was tonight. I hope Ullmark can Wally Pipp his career as a starter. 

Girgensons is in a funk. He needs to be on Eichel's wing replacing Gionta, who hasn't contributed anything that I can see. 

We need Bogo back soon. Not that he was bad tonight necessarily, but I can't stand Weber's game. He's a liability. Fransen is slow as growing mold, but has a tad of offensive upside and his shot usually gets through. 

I'll be looking to see how they respond to their worst performance of the year. I know it's a second of a back to back tomorrow, but it's gut check time. This is when the O'Reilly's on the team set the example. Tomorrow is a great opportunity for this young team. 

GO SABRES!!!

mmhhmm ... insights

Echoing others here...

Eichel looked great, again. He can't buy an assist right now, no one is converting for him.

Reinhart is looking better and better each game. Was very good tonight. We are set at center going forward with Jack and Sam.

O'Reilly looked good (an inordinate amount of players looked good for a 7-2 game). Liking Kane's game.

Moulson needs to be playing with Eichel. He can and will finish, I liked his game today too.

Franson looked good on the PP, Pysyk is very solid.

Negatives -

Girgensons was brutal in tight. So many missed chances that he should have been able to bury. Ennis is having a tough go of it, he's gotta simplify his game, trying to do WAY too much. Gionta can not be playing 20 mins a game on the 2nd line and PP. Put him on the third. Risto is suffering some growing pains. Not worried there, but he can be better. Johnson wasn't good.

I've never seen a closer 7-2 game, as funny as that sounds. We outshot them quite a bit, but couldn't convert. The puck luck was bad. But we need to have a higher rate of conversion.

Needing and expecting a big bounce back tomorrow.

Side note - Reinhart was a plus 1 today. Plus 2 on the season. Pretty impressive stuff. (Matty Mo was plus 1 tonight too, the only other player on our team on the plus side.)

Edited by Thorny

I don't understand this sentiment. We've played a really good game overall against an unbeaten team, even if the score doesn't reflect it.

well listening on Radio and watching are two different ball games :blink: . Its hard to imagine when listening  that a 7-2 game was actually close. Perhaps had I seen it I may have felt differently but I doubt it. Like I said my expectations have been raised a little bit this year by some of our additions. I'm not sure they should be blown out even by the habs but we are what we are at this point. I have to lower my expectations some in order to enjoy losing by a blowout.

Echoing others here...

Eichel looked great, again. He can't buy an assist right now, no one is converting for him.

Reinhart is looking better and better each game. Was very good tonight. We are set at center going forward with Jack and Sam.

O'Reilly looked good (an inordinate amount of players looked good for a 7-2 game). Liking Kane's game.

Moulson needs to be playing with Eichel. He can and will finish, I liked his game today too.

Franson looked good on the PP, Pysyk is very solid.

Negatives -

Girgensons was brutal in tight. So many missed chances that he should have been able to bury. Ennis is having a tough go of it, he's gotta simplify his game, trying to do WAY too much. Gionta can not be playing 20 mins a game on the 2nd line and PP. Put him on the third. Risto is suffering some growing pains. Not worried there, but he can be better. Johnson wasn't good.

I've never seen a closer 7-2 game, as funny as that sounds. We outshot them quite a bit, but couldn't convert. The puck luck was bad. But we need to have a higher rate of conversion.

Needing and expecting a big bounce back tomorrow.

Side note - Reinhart was a plus 1 today. Plus 2 on the season. Pretty impressive stuff. (Matty Mo was plus 1 tonight too, the only other player on our team on the plus side.)

Agree with everything, although ROR did have trouble in the face off circle tonight.

I'm usually defenders of Weber and Gionta but I'm downright had enough of this. Weber was better last year and 3 years ago then he is now, he looks slower, can't hit the broadside of a barn on a pass more than 5 feet away and left poor McCabe out to dry on the 1st goal. He's supposed to be a vet akin to Gorges, at least we know he'll rarely make a dumb error with a youngster with him. But Carlo back in for Weber, he needs rest.....

Gionta needs to be on the 3rd or 4th line until mid-season, just like last year he's started really slow and looks incapable of keeping up. Hopefully by December he'll be moving again and looking ok again.

Someone throw a rope to Girgs, he's in a canyon and he can't get out. The poor guy couldn't buy a goal.

Eichel and Reinhart looked great, loved Eichel's backcheck and shove after the play. Reinhart's play seems to only be slowly getting better and better which is a great sign. That pass..... thing of beauty.

Johnson was Swiss cheese after the 1st period.

Risto was inconsistent but that is to be expected by a young Dman.

Montreal received a gift or two by the refs but we also have to finish our chances.

This is an important note. These last two years haven't had many "well, at least we have that" moments... But this is a big one. Should be the first of many games where Reinhart and Eichel are the two best players out there.

Someone throw a rope to Girgs, he's in a canyon and he can't get out. The poor guy couldn't buy a goal.

That rope needs to come in the form of putting him back on Eichel's wing along with Moulson, who can at least finish from time to time. 

GO SABRES!!!

I was unable to watch but this is the question for the people that watched. I get they have outshot teams this year but I could care less if you outshoot someone 40-10. To me it seems like the high quality scoring chances aren't where they should be.

Three goal posts and three wide open net chances. They should have lit Condon up.

Ok so I'm over Gionta,he brings me absolutley nothing and I can easily see how a different player on that line may have changed this whole Game around. Plenty of chances and his 3 inch stick and inability to battle ended good chances.

Johnson had at least 2 inexcusable goals, our D didn't help, but he looks like an AHL goalie.

Eichel is good, really good

Where is our PK, it's like we either have a good PP and our PK is non existent, or vice versa.

Psysk and McCabe should be out on the PK

Going to the game tomorrow night, let's see what our boys are made of after a severe whooping tonight.

I was unable to watch but this is the question for the people that watched. I get they have outshot teams this year but I could care less if you outshoot someone 40-10. To me it seems like the high quality scoring chances aren't where they should be.

They had just about as many high quality chances as you could ever want tonight. Just no luck. Where Montreal got perfect deflections and bounces on half their goals Buffalo had the exact opposite.

Rob Lowe couldn't have scored in Buffalo tonight.

This team just seems skunked. Year after year they just can't seem to put the puck in the net, no matter who is on the roster. Yes, our goalie sucks, but when the guys can't score.....it's hard to expect your throw in goaltender to bail you out. I know it's still early, but just like the Bills, this team seems to be cursed. Why do the sports God's hate Buffalo????

This team just seems skunked. Year after year they just can't seem to put the puck in the net, no matter who is on the roster. Yes, our goalie sucks, but when the guys can't score.....it's hard to expect your throw in goaltender to bail you out. I know it's still early, but just like the Bills, this team seems to be cursed. Why do the sports God's hate Buffalo????

I'm beginning to think Murray shite the bed on our Goaltending siteeeeation. 

I think we really need Bogo back which should help the defense. It just looks like it's gonna be another long year. Yes their more exciting and I thought this team could contend for that last playoff spot but you can't dig yourself a huge hole right from the get go and expect to climb out of it. This team needs more help on defense and a quality goalie. I know its early but this team could possibly be drafting in the top 5 again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.