GDT: Montréal @ Buffalo, 7:00pm edt, 10/23/2015

Doohickie

(although an absence of net traffic will keep a team from getting there).

that's why I mentioned "the reason we're shooting so low is random chance."  There could be other factors that will affect the percentage.  Thank back to the Goalie Whisperer days, when Irbe had our goalies playing with top shelf saver percentages when the real reason was that Nolan's system encouraged other teams to take many low-percentage shots.

If there's a systemic issue with shooting percentage currently, I think it's the effect of confidence (or lack there of).  A player doesn't expect to score so perhaps he doesn't snipe the far corner or doesn't follow up on the rebound, leading to more lower percentage shots.  That's part of that gel process everyone is talking about.  When the players have confidence in their system and in their teammates I think they'll be more likely to go "all in" on shots, over-committing themselves knowing that if they miss and the play goes the other way, their backs are covered.

Did we see your take on this starting to blossom with Philly.

During the 3x3 a huge save by Johnson, then a rush and GWG by Zemgus . One nice play instills confidence and begets another?

I wonder how long it takes before some coach puts out 2D and a center on the 3 on 3, in hopes they can trade 3 on 2 rushes coming where way to spring the center on a breakaway. Call it the trap for OT.

I've been thinking about that in general.  Right now the 3v3 in OT is Wild West Gunslinger stuff.  But coaching will adjust.  The teams that figure out how to defend and how to score will be emulated, to include adjustments to personnel.  I could see 2 fwds + 1 D; 1 fwd + 2 D; maybe 3 fwds.  I wonder if anyone will be crazy enough to try 4 skaters and no goalie?  4-on-3 power plays are pretty lethal, and if a team needed full points to advance to the playoffs I could see someone doing it.  The skills are the same as the regular game, but the strategy and system will be totally new.

I've been thinking about that in general.  Right now the 3v3 in OT is Wild West Gunslinger stuff.  But coaching will adjust.  The teams that figure out how to defend and how to score will be emulated, to include adjustments to personnel.  I could see 2 fwds + 1 D; 1 fwd + 2 D; maybe 3 fwds.  I wonder if anyone will be crazy enough to try 4 skaters and no goalie?  4-on-3 power plays are pretty lethal, and if a team needed full points to advance to the playoffs I could see someone doing it.  The skills are the same as the regular game, but the strategy and system will be totally new.

As for the GT question, I think (at least in the old rules) that if you pull the GT and lose, you don't get the OTL point.

As for the GT question, I think (at least in the old rules) that if you pull the GT and lose, you don't get the OTL point.

Right.  That's why I mentioned a team that needs both points to make the playoffs.  Do or die.  But I can see a coach trying it in OT at some point during the season, just to see if it works.  Conventional wisdom is that with so much empty space on the ice the other team would score an empty net goal, but perhaps having a rover in the neutral zone would keep the other team from ever breaking out and you can simply wear them down in their own zone until you score.  Or something.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.