Reinhart: Fewer minutes in NHL or more minutes in AHL?

pi2000

Not a valid comparison.

In his rookie season (the year he was drafted), Seguin was playing on the third line (with Blake Wheeler) for the eventual Stanley Cup winning team, not 4th line for a team coming off one of the worst season's in NHL history.

In Seguin's second season he put up 29 goals and 38 assists... Reinhart won't sniff anywhere near those numbers in this his second year.

This is Reinhart's first year regardless of whatever twisted logic you're currently employing.

I look at guys like Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar for the Red WIngs.   Not top 3 picks, but skill guys who put up big numbers immediately in the AHL.   Could they have played 4th line in Detroit earlier in their careers?   Yes, but Detroit was smart and kept them in the AHL while they built up their strength to the NHL level while playing with similarly skilled players.    They jumped into the NHL and made an immediate impact in their first full seasons.    Playing against AHL talent didn't diminish their skills, rather it allowed them to maintain their skill level while building themselves up physically for the NHL game.   IMO, Reinhart would benefit from another season in the AHL if he's only going to get 4th line minutes in the NHL.

A big part of putting them in the AHL for so long was to teach them the North American game. They're both Euro-trash. Dylan Larkin made the jump right to the NHL, never played AHL. Whether extended AHL conditioning benefits a player depends on the player and the background.

Pi, DB had Reinhart with O'Reilly today, and he always gives him PP time. How is that not playing with talented players?

I saw that. Looks like he will be centering ROR and Ennis tomorrow against Tampa. He does a lot of little things right on the ice and I can see why DD is giving him a top line opportunity.

GO SABRES!!!

If making the playoffs this year is not the goal - and I don't think it is - then Reinhart is staying right here. He might play in all sorts of different roles and may even get the occasional press box. All better than Rochester.

He needs to play against NHL players. He could go and light up the AHL. It won't matter. Everyone, including him, will not really care about what he does in Rochester. #2 overall picks play in the NHL. He needs to find his game against the big boys.

Not a valid comparison.

In his rookie season (the year he was drafted), Seguin was playing on the third line (with Blake Wheeler) for the eventual Stanley Cup winning team, not 4th line for a team coming off one of the worst season's in NHL history.

In Seguin's second season he put up 29 goals and 38 assists... Reinhart won't sniff anywhere near those numbers in this his second year.

Reinhart has been moving around through all the lines. He's primarily been 3rd line, though through 5 games, he'll have been on all 4. A bit was 4th line. Seguin did spend time on the B's 4th line and even in the press box, it didn't screw up his game (obviously).

You believe Reinhart belongs in the A. Perhaps he'll end up there, but for now it's not happening.

Edited by Taro T

Reinhart has been moving around through all the lines. He's primarily been 3rd line, though through 5 games, he'll have been on all 4. A bit was 4th line. Seguin did spend time on the B's 4th line and even in the press box, it didn't screw up his game (obviously).

You believe Reinhart belongs in the A. Perhaps he'll end up there, but for now it's not happening.

Well now he gets his chance. Apparently DB sees something in his game the rest of us don't. DB is sending a message to the rest of the team that if you go to the front of the net you'll get more playing time? I don't get it, but now we get to see how this plays out. How long does he last on the top line? 1 shift? 1 game? Who knows? Will be interesting to watch, and I hope he does well enough to stay there. Edited by pi2000

Well now he gets his chance. Apparently DB sees something in his game the rest of us don't. DB is sending a message to the rest of the team that if you go to the front of the net you'll get more playing time? I don't get it, but now we get to see how this plays out. How long does he last on the top line? 1 shift? 1 game? Who knows? Will be interesting to watch, and I hope he does well enough to stay there.

Agreed. (Though I'd be shocked if he does stay there. Seems he'll spend most of his time early this year on line 3 and PP2.)

Agreed. (Though I'd be shocked if he does stay there. Seems he'll spend most of his time early this year on line 3 and PP2.)

The more I think about this it starts to makes sense.   DB wants a guy with O'Reilly/Ennis who will be first in on the forecheck and create a net front presence.    Girgensons seems like a logical choice, but watching the last few games he was playing too much of a finesse game, staying on the perimeter instead of just getting in hard and dirty on the puck.    Reinhart has done that quite consistently even though he's losing most battles he's showing a willingness to go to the dirty areas and cause havoc.   That's what DB's looking for on the first line.   Who knows how long Reinhart will last there, but I think Zemgus gets another shot at it here soon.

Well now he gets his chance. Apparently DB sees something in his game the rest of us don't. DB is sending a message to the rest of the team that if you go to the front of the net you'll get more playing time? I don't get it, but now we get to see how this plays out. How long does he last on the top line? 1 shift? 1 game? Who knows? Will be interesting to watch, and I hope he does well enough to stay there.

No. Others here have seen things, too. Myself included.

Well whatever Disco Dan saw, he's got a good eye. Samson scored and was around the net all night. He and Ennis together may be fo shizzle.

Thing I thought was interesting was, on this line, he still got dumped more often than would like to see, but it didn't always kill plays.

Thing I thought was interesting was, on this line, he still got dumped more often than would like to see, but it didn't always kill plays.

Ennis, and even Datsyuk, went through this kind of stuff. As long as he can control what happens to the puck I don't really care that much. He'll get better.

Edited by Robins Egg

Ennis, and even Datsyuk, when through this kind of stuff. As long as he can control what happens to the puck I don't really care that much. He'll get better.

He will. To date, I'm optimistic that he will continue to earn a spot in the lineup. Expect that I see his upside lower than others here see it; but I do expect him to solidly be the #2 center down the road. W/ Eichel as the LT #1, that's really all the Sabres need from him.

Ennis, and even Datsyuk, when through this kind of stuff. As long as he can control what happens to the puck I don't really care that much. He'll get better.

One thing that is neat about him is the puck is barely on his stick. He's a touch and pass player. He finds an open guy and gets him the puck. No water effort

*wasted

I feel Samson needs more knee bend. He tends to stand a bit too upright in those tough areas. A shot to the chest will knock him off balance. The knees and hips generate heavy in a shot and passes as well. He can learn this and Inwould think focus on it in the off season. He will learn.

I agree his instinct and vision are fantastic.

Yup. The best part? We have 2 of these number 2 overall picks with huge upside. Eichel will be the superstar, taking lots of pressure off of Sam. Having a guy like Reinhart as the future second line center is a huge luxury of having a guy like Jack for the first line.

Was pleasantly surprised with Reinhart's performance.   His hockey sense and vision were never a question, he used those tools well.    Still getting knocked off his skates too much and losing battles, but it looks like he can still be an effective player at the NHL level if they keep him in the top 6.    That said, I still think he should go to Roch if he loses his top 6 spot.   

Moulson on the otherhand has looked terrible.   He's languishing on the 3rd line, contributing not much of anything except a room for Eichel to sleep in,   He's slow and loses puck races, looks really bad against fast teams like TB and OTT.    Doesn't seem like a good fit long term.      

Still getting knocked off his skates too much and losing battles,

I'm really starting to think this is confirmation bias.  He was pegged as not strong enough early on, and now every time he falls he's accused of not being strong enough on his skates.  A lot of good players get knocked around and still manage to control the puck (either protect it while getting back up or passing off to a teammate).  Young Samson seems to be of that ilk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.