GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7pm edt, 10/08/2015

WildCard

Loved how Jack got fired up in the third because he may have been our least effective forward in the first two – just very tentative.

Bylsma showed a ton of faith in him though, he tied with Kane for tops on the team with nearly 21 minutes.

Not nearly as much faith in Dreindhardt, who I thought looked better than Jack for the first two periods — and much more at home than he did last year.

No problem with him riding the bench in the third however. We needed to push the pace and Samson hasn't shown he can do that yet.

Let the record show he was ninth among forwards in ice time, ahead of McGinn, Deslauriers and Legwand.

Kane is a puck hog, but he is also a puck hound and so freaking entertaining.

The O'Reilly line didn't look too good for most the night.

How long will it take Dan to see Moulson (who was our worst forward tonight by a long shot) should be with Jack, and Kane with O'Reilly (or Dreindhardt)?

Risto was shaky in the first two, but — like Eichel – I was happy to see how he stepped up in the third.

I thought the D looked better than expected. The Gorges/Pysyk pair was solid and Colaicovo wasn't the train wreck he looked in the preseason.

Just 22 shots against, versus a fast, good-scoring team.

Did we hold a team to that low a shot total all season under Nolan?

Edited by dudacek

nfreeman, your observation about them seeming somber made it all clear to me. They all did play tentatively for the first two. I think what we saw actually started with the last two preseason games where it looked as though they went from having fun prior to that, to getting serious.

So, I think those first two periods were nerves. Not having played professional sports, but having plenty of experience "in the spotlight" in front of audiences, the team's collective response seems very familiar to that of performers under pressure. And they're young, so can be difficult to shake until you have a lot of miles under your belt.

What I saw in the third I expect to see more of pretty quickly as they acclimate to their situation. Brad May keeps suggesting it will take about 20 games for the team to really start coming together and I think he's correct.

As for Lehner, that's some pretty crappy luck. I still haven't been able to identify the moment in the game where he sustained an injury, only the results after it happened. Anyone have anything on that?

In the hallway after the game, Bryan Murray made a point of telling Bylsma what he thought, too.

"Your team is going to be good, Dan," the Senators general manager told the Sabres coach as their paths crossed.

Bylsma smiled back.

"No, I'm serious," Murray said.

It was about 20 minutes after his first NHL game and Jack Eichel made a beeline for a 6-year-old kid in a wheelchair. No one asked him to. But the 18-year-old Buffalo Sabres phenom recognized the young cancer patient from a hospital visit earlier in the summer. The two spoke for a few minutes before Eichel was whisked away for his postgame news conference.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13841252/nhl-jack-eichel-displays-maturity-talent-debut-buffalo-sabres

Edited by WildCard

As for the new replay rule, I think the split between posters here who hate it and those who support it it, is at its core (core!), a philosophical one, and an instinctive one to boot.

That whole process just struck me as wrong - contrary to the spirit and flow of the game. More than the prospect of losing the tying goal, I found myself dreading these stoppages generally.

This isn't football. This isn't baseball.

Sds's suggestion on real time review is well taken.

We are probably saying the same thing. Goals are reviewed. High stick goals are reviewed. Kicks are reviewed. The need for a challenge on an off side is probably specious at best. But that's the rule. And they got it right in this case.

No, the play continues until,a,whistle score. Same in both cases. Someone upstairs looks at the video and sees ob/offsides. The whistle hasn't blown play hasn't stopped in either case. Same thing.

It was the right call according to this  unnecessary process the league created that I truly believe is bad for hockey. 

I loved the third period.

I hate the coach challenge because in addition to thata tight one inch decision can be turned over the momentum of the Sabres was gone.

Yes it is ensured we have more legal goals in the nhl, but the interuption will decrease the fans experience during a live game.

Today it took one goal, the whole momentum and gave Ottawa basically a free timeout.

They gave up the first goal and Robin Lehner was out of position.  The game started out sloppy and the passing was choppy.  It got better as the game went along.  This seems to be a pattern from the preseason until now.  Though a lot of that will have to do with getting used to each other.  The standouts from the game to me were Eichel, Kane and Ristolainen.  Though several others did good things. 

Don't like the challenge rule, but have to admit while watching in real time I did think the play was offside.

Am I right that if you lose a challenge you lose your TO? That's it?

Yeah you lose your TO.   That is why every team now has someone in the press box looking for correct challenges.  

This will slow the game down so much  :sick:

They gave up the first goal and Robin Lehner was out of position.  The game started out sloppy and the passing was choppy.  It got better as the game went along.  This seems to be a pattern from the preseason until now.  Though a lot of that will have to do with getting used to each other.  The standouts from the game to me were Eichel, Kane and Ristolainen.  Though several others did good things. 

Huge turnover on the second Ottawa goal though.   Didn't think Colaiacovo looked bad but was wondering what McCabe couldn't do in his place.

Franson looked like a pilon, and weber got away with the mistakes he made (like fanning on a puck right after the eichel goal leading to a huge Ottawa chance).

Gorges is Gorges and on stacked Defense he is your #6

Kane and Eichel got better when Girgensons moved into Reinharts spot.   

Hope Reinhart needs a bit more sheltered minutes on the 3rd line I guess.    Moulson seemed a bit lost in the offensive zone, but his whole line didn't click there.

Edited by Huckleberry

Yeah you lose your TO.   That is why every team now has someone in the press box looking for correct challenges.  

This will slow the game down so much  :sick:

Huge turnover on the second Ottawa goal though.   Didn't think Colaiacovo looked bad but was wondering what McCabe couldn't do in his place.

Franson looked like a pilon, and weber got away with the mistakes he made (like fanning on a puck right after the eichel goal leading to a huge Ottawa chance).

Gorges is Gorges and on stacked Defense he is your #6

Kane and Eichel got better when Girgensons moved into Reinharts spot.   

Hope Reinhart needs a bit more sheltered minutes on the 3rd line I guess.    Moulson seemed a bit lost in the offensive zone, but his whole line didn't click there.

Colaiacovo didn't look great IMO.  I did see the turnover on Ristolainen, but I saw more good than bad.  IMO. 

Curious to know what Reinhart was doing wrong that warranted getting glued to the bench and no PP time. I know if Gionta played he never sees the second line but he wasn't paying bad. Hell, if your going to start stapling guys to the bench start with Moulson.

With this D and goaltending we are not going to the playoffs. So as time goes by and that becomes a little more clear I hope they let Reinhart develop here. Not sure Rochester is the answer.

Edited by sicknfla

Curious to know what Reinhart was doing wrong that warranted getting glued to the bench and no PP time. I know if Gionta played he never sees the second line but he wasn't paying bad. Hell, if your going to start stapling guys to the bench start with Moulson.

With this D and goaltending we are not going to the playoffs. So as time goes by and that becomes a little more clear I hope they let Reinhart develop here. Not sure Rochester is the answer.

Not expecting to go to the playoffs this year - but am expecting a record of .500 or better.  Of course, my expectations were formed before the NHL's new Coaches Challenge rule.  LOL

I don't think just losing a TO is enough of a disincentive to discourage "reversing the momentum" challenges that a team knows stand little chance of being over turned. TOs in hockey aren't as valuable as NFL TOs for example.

But what if that goal had stood and we kept the momentum? What if we then took the lead and they needed that TO at the end to try and tie it up? They would have really missed that TO if they lost that challenge.

FTR, I think that the Sens would have called a TO there anyway. The game was getting away from the and they knew it.

Yeah, it's unbelievable that play could continue on so long as that before a 'challenge' issued. Somebody must be in Ottawa's booth reviewing video - because that "offside' wasn't even perceptible unless viewed in super slow motion; or frame by frame.

How many times have seen BOSTON just skate right in 2 or 3 feet offside or more and no one ever did anything. What a crock!!!!!

I disagree. I thought it was offside even when I saw it in real time. Turned out it was close. But even full speed it raised my eyebrows. So I'm not surprised it was disallowed. Also any offensive possession is affected by an uncalled offsides. So even if it's 5 minutes later, if it's the same possession, it needs to be called back.

so this team started slow last night. They looked a little hesitant.  I think we are going to see ups and downs a lot as we start the year. Glad to see Jack get that goal but Buffalo should have scored about 5 times.  They need to keep working on zone entries because that was the glaring issue they had yesterday.

Not well played. Ottawa abused a new rule. What SDS had to say sums it perfectly. Man, do you have box of tissues sitting next to you while watching a Sabres game? Calls are "missed" left and right. The blown offsides call was not "missed." They were moving in real time. The ref was right on top of it. He felt the Sabres were onsides. Having to go to slow motion w/ the use of multiple camera angles to make a call is ridiculous. 

You are arguing for removing the ability to challenge a missed offsides.  I agree that shouldn't be within the purview.  But as it stands it is.  There was no whistle between the missed call and the challenge.  Upon conclusion of play and the whistle, they challenged.  There was no abuse.  That is exactly how the drew it up. The wisdom of putting the new rule in is assailable on many fronts, and I am not defending it. I am pointing out it worked as the league designed it.  

Man, that place sounded loud last night.  Really unfortunate that another new rule intended to eliminate mistakes resulted in sapping all of the Sabres' momentum -- regardless of whether or not it was the right call.

So happy for Eichel he got the first one out of the way quickly.

Absolutely digging the goal song -- really gets the crowd going.  It's getting tons of national press as well (in a good way).

The new era has begun!  There will be lots of bumps in the road, but they're headed in the right direction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.