GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota, Sept. 21, 8pm

Eleven

Me too.  We're light years better up front, but might be worse defensively.  I hope Colaicovo can stay healthy.  I like his game, but he is always hurt.

How do you figure they'll be worse on D this year? I can see possibly expecting them to be the same if you feel Myers was significantly better than Bogosian and you were on the Zadorov bandwagon, but getting rid of Meszaros and Benoit is addition by subtraction.

They had no pp QB last year and Zadorov had many down games. Overall, this unit should be at least what they were last year (they were horrible last year) and should most likely be better. Scheme & having O'Reilly helping should result in improvement alone. (Not saying the unit will be good, but it almost definitely will be better.)

How do you figure they'll be worse on D this year? I can see possibly expecting them to be the same if you feel Myers was significantly better than Bogosian and you were on the Zadorov bandwagon, but getting rid of Meszaros and Benoit is addition by subtraction.

They had no pp QB last year and Zadorov had many down games. Overall, this unit should be at least what they were last year (they were horrible last year) and should most likely be better. Scheme & having O'Reilly helping should result in improvement alone. (Not saying the unit will be good, but it almost definitely will be better.)

I agree.  If Pysyk has improved how I think and with the addition of Franson and a healthy Gorges, our defense is better than last years cluster.

I watched Franson play down here in Nashville (both stints) and he isn't good in his own zone.  He struggles with speedy opposing forwards.  We need him for the power play though.  Colo is - or at least was - a nice player, but he can't stay healthy so I figure it is only a matter of time before he is out.

I liked Zadorov's potential.  I think he'll be a good NHLer after he matures a little bit.

As a top pair, I think of Gorges and Bogosian as merely "okay."  IMHO, they're nowhere close to the "minute eating" top pairs we see on the better teams.  Personal opinion, but I like Bogosian better than Gorges.  I see Gorges as a slightly better Weber.  Tough and physical, but won't help the transition game much (assuming Bylsma wants to play a more offensive system).  If Risto and Pysyk play well, that will really help this year's group.  But, they're young so I don't see that as a given.

That said, I think most of us will be happy just seeing the team score a few more goals this season!

I subscribe to hockeystreams and looking at their future schedule I see 4 of the games are currently scheduled:

Sept. 23 - Buffalo vs. Ottawa - 7 p.m. - First Niagara Center

Sept. 25 - Buffalo at Toronto - 7:30 p.m. - Air Canada Centre

Sept. 26 - Buffalo at Ottawa - 7 p.m. - Canadian Tire Centre

Sept. 29 - Buffalo vs. Toronto - 7 p.m. - First Niagara Center

Again, I think failure to stream the pre-season games is another embarrassment for the way the organization that claims to be "Hockey Heaven" is run. 

Well, we have no idea what the contract with MSG looks like; it may be out of the Sabres' control.  I can't imagine that the team would not want the games to be aired.

Edited by Eleven

I watched Franson play down here in Nashville (both stints) and he isn't good in his own zone.  He struggles with speedy opposing forwards.  We need him for the power play though.  Colo is - or at least was - a nice player, but he can't stay healthy so I figure it is only a matter of time before he is out.

I liked Zadorov's potential.  I think he'll be a good NHLer after he matures a little bit.

As a top pair, I think of Gorges and Bogosian as merely "okay."  IMHO, they're nowhere close to the "minute eating" top pairs we see on the better teams.  Personal opinion, but I like Bogosian better than Gorges.  I see Gorges as a slightly better Weber.  Tough and physical, but won't help the transition game much (assuming Bylsma wants to play a more offensive system).  If Risto and Pysyk play well, that will really help this year's group.  But, they're young so I don't see that as a given.

That said, I think most of us will be happy just seeing the team score a few more goals this season!

Right. How is any of that worse than last year?

Zadorov was potential, not production. Especially when paired together, Mezsaros and Benoit were the worst pair in the league. Gorges replaces Gorges, Risto, Risto, and Weber, Weber. Myers was slightly better than Bogosian (at least when not paired w/ Weber - that pairing didn't come close to working), Pysyk should be at least as good as Zadorov was last year and definitely better than Mezsaros (barring his last 5 games of the year) and Franson should be better than Benoit. If that's a wash, Colaiaovo and Donovan are available and one would expect at least 1 of that to be better than Benoit.

I'm not saying this group will be good. But I can't see any metric that they'll measure as worse than last year's hot mess.

I still expect to see TM trade for a legit D-man and next year McCabe will also be in the mix. In 2 years, this D could very well be good; Bogo, Risto, Pysyk, new guy, & McCabe should make a solid core. They aren't there yet, but they aren't worse than last year.

Larsson should replace Moulson as a sure roster spot, imo

There is no ####ing way (barring trade) that Moulson doesn't start the year as Eichel's LW.

And there is less than 5% chance Matty is traded in the next 3 weeks.

The fact that the NHL doesn't stream preseason on gamecenter, boggles my mind. 

Hopefully with the switch to MLB that gets rectified going forward.  All sorts of spring training games available.  I'm really excited to see how the product improves; MLB.tv is LIGHT YEARS ahead of gamecenter. 

Well, we have no idea what the contract with MSG looks like; it may be out of the Sabres' control.  I can't imagine that the team would not want the games to be aired.

It's frustrating as a fan hungry for any kind of content so deal with the lack of coverage. Maybe they have a agreement with MSG for not airing pre-season games (but why??) but not streaming the Prospects Tournament, or only piping in the jumbotron stream for the Rookie Scrimmage at the last minute in July? It's pathetic. You're telling me they couldn't sync up the WGR Broadcast with the jumbtotron stream for the prospects tournament?

It's 2015, setting up a live stream isn't that complicated, especially when you're a part of the four major sports in America. Content will continue to shift from broadcast television to streaming over the internet. I remember reading a few articles a year or so ago about Ted Black addressing the possibility of Pegula Sports and Entertainment starting up their own broadcasting station akin to Empire sports, which would be a horrible venture but why not shift those broadcasts to stream on the internet? You'd increase your coverage from the WNY region to fans spread out across the country/globe, etc. I could go on and on about this. 

At the end of the day it'd be nice to have our organization be on the cutting edge of this transition by providing streaming content for the fans. If the team is on the ice then we should be able to see it and not have to research a hundred different ways to see if there's a chance to watch the team. At this point it looks like the only games that people won't be able to stream are the Minnesota games. I'm placing the blame on Minnesota for that one since they should be streaming their home games. As LGR said, it's mind boggling all the games aren't available.

Edited by mustacheofgod

Tonight I'll be interested to see how the following plays out:

-How does Eichel fare against better opponents while playing with better linemates. Looks like he'll be playing against Parise, Granlund and Pominville so it'll be nice to see him going up against strong opponents. 

-How is Larsson looking? He's gotta stand out if he wants a solid spot on this team

-D pairings, will be interesting to see the Guhle-Psysk , McCabe-Fransen combo

and most importantly

3 v 3 OT - regardless of the score at the end of the 3rd period the teams will be playing an extra 3 v 3 period to get accustomed to the new format. Whose Blysma going to throw out there? Eichel - Girgensons - Psysk? Moulson - Larrson - Weber? 

This would all be great to watch live but unless any of you live in Minnesota we're S.O.L. At least we'll be blessed with a 2 minute video recap tomorrow /s

Really? This game isn't being streamed or televised anywhere???

Correct.

From the Sabres website, it looks like NONE of the preseason games will be on MSG.

Dammit!

A full broadcast schedule for the team’s preseason schedule can be found below:

Sept. 21: 8 p.m. at Minnesota - Radio: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy & Andrew Peters)

Sept. 23: 7 p.m. vs. Ottawa - Radio: WGR 550 (Brian Duff & Rob Ray)

Sept. 25: 7:30 p.m. at Toronto - TV: NHL Network* Radio: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy & Rob Ray)

Sept. 26: 7 p.m. at Ottawa - Radio: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy & Rob Ray)

Sept. 29: 7 p.m. vs. Toronto - TV: NHL Network* - Radio: WGR 550 (Brian Duff & Rob Ray)

Oct. 1: 8 p.m. at Minnesota - Radio: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy & Rob Ray)

Oct. 2: 7 p.m. vs. Columbus    - TV: MSG - Radio: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy & Rob Ray)

Much obliged.  Radio it is!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.