GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota, Sept. 21, 8pm

Eleven

We have so much depth now we don't really have a true 4th line.

No, that's not quite accurate. We finally have a quality 4th line, something we haven't seen in so long we forgot what it looks like. The Red Wings old Grind Line of McCarty, Draper and Maltby was a quality 4th line.  Very difficult to play against, but not terribly dirty.  A good combination of speed and grit, with the occasional timely goal (the Wings first cup in 42 years was won on a McCarty goal that was kind of reminiscent of the MAY DAY goal).  The Sabres have been so short on talent, the 4th line has been considered nothing but a checking line staffed by NHL bangers and nothing more.  On a top tier team they are often much more than that.

I think Legwand will be the extra forward sitting out.  Larsson IMPO is a better option.

I would like to see that as well. I think it might be too much to ask. It would be good if they at least platooned each other until Larsson is comfortable in the shutdown role.

Interesting fact: Girgensons is on Eichel's line as a veteran presence to protect him. Larsson isn't viewed as capable of that role. Larsson is two and a half years older than Girgensons.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Larsson is the better player, but we've fallen in love with the Concept of Zemgus. When we were suffering through the tank, Zemgus was the one indication of a brighter future.

Vereran has never meant older in any context.

concept of girgensons...? This isn't kassian where he never did what we thought he could (a power forward with scoring potential). Hes actually doing everything and more we could expect of a two way forward who turned 21 this year and finished his second NHL season on a historically bad team.

I take anything critical of zemgus TO HEART!!!!

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

Interesting fact: Girgensons is on Eichel's line as a veteran presence to protect him. Larsson isn't viewed as capable of that role. Larsson is two and a half years older than Girgensons.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Larsson is the better player, but we've fallen in love with the Concept of Zemgus. When we were suffering through the tank, Zemgus was the one indication of a brighter future.

That and Girgensons is only 2.5 years older than Eichel.  It's funny to think of that as the veteran presence for Eichel.

No, sir, I don't believe that you do. You obviously need some more Liger in your life.

Very nice.

LT, if Larsssssson rosters in the top 9 and Nikita in the top 4 it was a dynamite trade. No way we finish DFL 2 years in a row if we were still captained by the Greatest One.

Well, those are 2 pretty large ifs, plus a very hypothetical hypothetical.

concept of girgensons...? This isn't kassian where he never did what we thought he could (a power forward with scoring potential). Hes actually doing everything and more we could expect of a two way forward who turned 21 this year and finished his second NHL season on a historically bad team.

I take anything critical of zemgus TO HEART!!!!

I guess in my Buffalo sports context, it's hard for me to accept that he's really that good. It could be that he's good, but looked much better compared to the overall talent level of the team.  Now that the level has dramatically increased, let's see if he still stands out.  I hope he does, but part of me feels that a letdown is inevitable.  You don't overcome a half-century of Buffalo sports in one off season.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Larsson is the better player, but we've fallen in love with the Concept of Zemgus. 

I think that Larsson will end up as a capable NHLer, but I doubt that he ends up "better" than Girgensons.

As the poster who coined the "Concept of Kassian" turn of phrase, I'm going to disagree with the idea that the fan base has bought a bill of goods with Zemgus. The guy is heart and soul, and, through his play, has established that his "floor" is a good 3rd liner on a legit playoff team. 

One of the things I noticed on the Eichel to Moulson goal was the play Girgensons makes on zone entry.  He takes the hit but puts the puck out into play for Eichel to continue.  Love players like that.

And because of stuff like this, I think his ceiling is a true top-6 forward on the same sort of team.

I think that Larsson will end up as a capable NHLer, but I doubt that he ends up "better" than Girgensons.

As the poster who coined the "Concept of Kassian" turn of phrase, I'm going to disagree with the idea that the fan base has bought a bill of goods with Zemgus. The guy is heart and soul, and, through his play, has established that his "floor" is a good 3rd liner on a legit playoff team. 

And because of stuff like this, I think his ceiling is a true top-6 forward on the same sort of team.

Girgensons will definitely be under consideration for wearing the C when it's time for Gionta to relinquish it. If Eichel doesn't get it for some reason, he'd be my choice. The guy has shown he belongs at this young age and there is no reason to consider there being a "concept of Zemgus."

Really looking forward to this season.

The only reason I brought up the Larsson deal is because correct me if I'm wrong but if he doesn't make the team out of training camp doesn't he have to clear waivers. That's why I would rather get rid of Legwand instead if that's the case. I think Larsson is a solid 3 zone player that will bring more to the table long term.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

From reading the last couple of pages in this thread I get the feeling that people don't know what kind of game Legwand brings.  Guy has more NHL games played, assists, and points than anyone on our young roster.  He plays in all situations, has size, hits, has speed, and plays a responsible defensive game.  He isn't some journeyman throwaway.  Maybe he has lost a step (we'll see soon enough), but wait until you see him play before you decide you want him off this year's team.

Personally, I don't see us starting the year with two rookie centers on the top 3 lines.  We're the Oilers if we do that.  I think either Samson starts on wing or he starts in Rochester.  O'Reilly, Eichel, Larsson, and Leggy can be the 4 centers to start.

Edited by Potato

Also, the point on Guhle, I think there's almost no chance he makes the team (don't want to go down the zero chance conversation again).  As has been pointed, three guys would have to get waived, plus I would really think McCabe gets a crack before Guhle if a youngin is going to make the top 6.

I don't see us starting the year with two rookie centers on the top 3 lines.  We're the Oilers if we do that. 

Blechk. Good point.

Also, the point on Guhle, I think there's almost no chance he makes the team (don't want to go down the zero chance conversation again).  As has been pointed, three guys would have to get waived, plus I would really think McCabe gets a crack before Guhle if a youngin is going to make the top 6.

I have not seen him play. But the fact that I'm hearing about him is a good sign. What's his outlook?

Edit: We've already signed the guy? Hmm. Intriguing.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Blechk. Good point.

I have not seen him play. But the fact that I'm hearing about him is a good sign. What's his outlook?

Edit: We've already signed the guy? Hmm. Intriguing.

I love the outlook and very early on he looks like he may be a bit of a steal in relation to where he was drafted?  Skating he appears to be ready but with all players (especially those outside of the top 10 overall) they have a ton to work on their game.  Some may disagree but he reminds me a little bit of Mark Pysyk but still needs time to develop.  No sense rushing him in any way, especially when we will require several guys to clear waivers.  Let this guy play another year of junior and then a year in the AHL and we may have a nice second pairing guy.

Edit - Unfortunately due to the NHL/CHL agreement, Guhle actually has to play 2 more seasons in junior before he is AHL eligible.

Edited by Derrico

From reading the last couple of pages in this thread I get the feeling that people don't know what kind of game Legwand brings. Guy has more NHL games played, assists, and points than anyone on our young roster. He plays in all situations, has size, hits, has speed, and plays a responsible defensive game. He isn't some journeyman throwaway. Maybe he has lost a step (we'll see soon enough), but wait until you see him play before you decide you want him off this year's team.

Personally, I don't see us starting the year with two rookie centers on the top 3 lines. We're the Oilers if we do that. I think either Samson starts on wing or he starts in Rochester. O'Reilly, Eichel, Larsson, and Leggy can be the 4 centers to start.

Legwand has pretty clearly lost a step from what you remember seeing on the ice in Nashville. I mean, the guy was buried on the 4th line of a mediocre team and a contract dump in a goaltender trade. He had 27 points last year. He isn't dead, but he's also obviously nowhere close to the guy he used to be.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to think two rookie centers is a no-go, but given his career trajectory and starting line in camp I'd be shocked if Legwand grabs the 3C spot.

Edit: As to the Edmonton comparison, I think there's a world of difference between your 1-2 centers being rookies and your 2-3 centers being rookies. O'Reilly just makes our situation so much better than what Edmonton had in the past.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.