ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

Why would he be suspended or have any punishment at all from the league or the Sabres? Was there some precedent set before this or some morals clause they have to adhere to?

I'm sure there's a personal conduct clause in the contract.

Edited by Robins Egg

Why would he be suspended or have any punishment at all from the league or the Sabres? Was there some precedent set before this or some morals clause they have to adhere to?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs/2007-09-12-bell-suspension_N.htm

Don't have time to really read into this, I have to be somewhere, but I had heard of this incident before

If ROR blew .08 he was legally DUI. But keep in mind that the threshold of DUI used to be .10.  

411px-Relative_risk_of_an_accident_based

At .08 ROR had some impairment but he wasn't sloppy Dom-Hasek-level drunk.  But people drive impaired all the time from lack of sleep, medications, eating, messing with their phones, looking for something under their car seat, etc. So ROR broke the law and tried to run away. That's a bad look and he deserves to get slapped for it. But I'm not going all high-and-mighty over this. Anyone one of us who drank two light beers within one hour would be legally DUI in Canada.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not making light of the situation. I think he will be able to plea out of most of it.

I look back at Heatley in 2003 -- no alcohol involved, but still an idiotic offense when someone was killed. No jail time and I don't think there was suspension involved. I consider this a worse outcome than O'Reilly's. Different circumstances -- I know.

From Wikipedia -- On September 29, 2003, Heatley was driving a Ferrari 360 Modena with Thrashers teammate Dan Snyder in the passenger seat.[43] Heatley, who was driving between 55-82 MPH in a 35 MPH zone,[44] lost control and skidded into a brick pillar and iron fence.[43] Six days later, Snyder died from his injuries. Heatley was charged with vehicular homicide as a result of the crash. He pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular homicide, driving too fast for conditions, failure to maintain a lane, and speeding. He was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to give 150 speeches on the dangers of speeding, and pay $25,000 to Fulton County for the cost of investigating the crash.[44]

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs/2007-09-12-bell-suspension_N.htm

Don't have time to really read into this, I have to be somewhere, but I had heard of this incident before

15 games.  My impression is that in that case it was more severe (rear ended another vehicle, maybe people injured?)  So that's probably a worst case.  It also mentions "Stage 2" which I'm not sure but it looks like that wasn't the first incident for that player.

My old neighbor is baptist, nice guy and never saw him drink a drop of alcohol.  One day a few of the other neighbors and I were out on our street after work shooting the ###### over a few beers when the baptist neighbor walks up and starts talking with us.  Eventually he gets offered a beer and accepts.  A few minutes later his wife pulls up and you can see him getting visibly nervous while trying oh so hard to keep his cool in front of the guys.  His wife parks the car and marches right over to us and the following emasculation takes place..

Neighbor:  Hi honey!

Wife:  Honey??!!! Honey???!! I don't even recognize you with that BEER in your hand!!!

Neighbor:  Hands his beer off and dejectedly walks into the house.

I really felt bad for the guy, he was on deep lock down after that incident. 

She shouldn't have done that.  If she really needed to be a shrew, she should've done so in private.  And it wouldn't have killed her to have let him have a little time with the guys and just teased him a little bit about it later.

She's not a good Baptist wife; they're supposed to honor their husbands and acknowledge them as THE HEAD of the household.  (A friend actually left a music faculty position at the Baptist seminary a few miles from my house because he and his wife refused to sign a document to that effect mandated by the school.)

She shouldn't have done that.  If she really needed to be a shrew, she should've done so in private.  And it wouldn't have killed her to have let him have a little time with the guys and just teased him a little bit about it later.

Absolutely.  She's more than a bit loony in more ways than one.

A DUI is a terrible offense. According to MADD, 9,000 or so are killed every year due to drunk driving. Forgiveness can at times be can be difficult. And I'm not making reference to someone forgiving a drunk driver being responsible for the death of another. That would be very difficult. Simply saying there will be people finding it difficult to forgive the guy. He did put people at risks. At times the only remedy is time. Of there's the judge not less the be judged. People mad at him for being at .08 may need to take a look at themselves. Have they ever had a few and chose to drive while most likely being over the limit? Good chance they have. So if they're going throw the guy under the bus, they should also do it to themselves. Let me add I'm not throwing him under the bus. He made a mistake, almost minor considering the bac level, and I like to think he's learned from it. Time to move on.

Most of the people killed by drunk drivers are the drivers themselves. Followed by their passengers. About 2000 people not in the drunk drivers car are killed per year by drunk drivers in the U.S. According to the CDC. Edited by X. Benedict

My old neighbor is baptist, nice guy and never saw him drink a drop of alcohol. One day a few of the other neighbors and I were out on our street after work shooting the ###### over a few beers when the baptist neighbor walks up and starts talking with us. Eventually he gets offered a beer and accepts. A few minutes later his wife pulls up and you can see him getting visibly nervous while trying oh so hard to keep his cool in front of the guys. His wife parks the car and marches right over to us and the following emasculation takes place..

Neighbor: Hi honey!

Wife: Honey??!!! Honey???!! I don't even recognize you with that BEER in your hand!!!

Neighbor: Hands his beer off and dejectedly walks into the house.

He should have said something like "Sorry guys, she's taken" but I'm sure that would've made it even worse after he got in the house.

My old neighbor is baptist, nice guy and never saw him drink a drop of alcohol. One day a few of the other neighbors and I were out on our street after work shooting the ###### over a few beers when the baptist neighbor walks up and starts talking with us. Eventually he gets offered a beer and accepts. A few minutes later his wife pulls up and you can see him getting visibly nervous while trying oh so hard to keep his cool in front of the guys. His wife parks the car and marches right over to us and the following emasculation takes place..

Neighbor: Hi honey!

Wife: Honey??!!! Honey???!! I don't even recognize you with that BEER in your hand!!!

Neighbor: Hands his beer off and dejectedly walks into the house.

I read Baptist as Baptiste, and was trying to figure out why he wasn't allowed to drink abd alrwady married etc...made know sense

Nah, there's a lot of Mormons who don't drink at all, in my experience, and a lot of Baptists who do unless there's another one around.

That's just it. I know a slew of Mormons. I stand by my statement. Baptist run the lot from pious to well-not-so-pious. Mormons are a completely different religious faith. They wouldn't get caught dead drinking in public, but, get them by themselves and you see a very different side of them..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.