Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

From the video posted above:

Trade been in the works for a few weeks

Other teams seemed to want Lehner out of all the Ott goalies

It was difficult to part with him, but Anderson is their number 1 guy - top 10 in the league. Hammond stepped up and made Lehner available

Legwand was a big part of the deal to get cap space and free up a roster spot for their young guys

Feels they got an ok return for Lehner

They believe he will be a top goalie in the league and they didn't want him in Buffalo - they wanted him out west, but couldn't get the deal done

In a normal draft year they would have been far more reluctant to do this. This year they think they'll get a good player

Edited by ThirtyEight

Kinda hard to claim that one

Time will tell of course, and I clearly like Lehner more than a lot of you.

But given the track record of pick 21, and what Lehner has already accomplished at a young age I think I'm making a pretty safe bet.

All he'll have to do is be an adequate starter.

I like Legwand's game a lot - watched him play for years down here in Nashville.  He is a tough all-around center who can play in all situations.  Hits and wins faceoffs.  And, we need salary to hit the cap floor.  I think he is basically Gionta.  A "pro's pro" brought in to be a veteran presence.... or as others have hinted at, he was brought in because this is the FIRST move of the day and it'll all make sense later.

Despite being the only guy on this board who likes Legwand, I still wouldn't give up #21 for him and Lehner.  ...#31 yes.

The old cliche says "Whoever gets the best player, wins the deal."

We got the best player. He is 23 and we will have his rights for another five years.

The board created a new cliche in the last days of Darcy:

"I'm tired of winning trades and losing games."

###### "value."

When the "best player" is a .905 save % goalie with concussion problems, you lost the trade.  Especially when you're giving up a first in (supposedly) the best draft since 2003.

Also, with regard to Regier, if he hadn't stockpiled all those assets, Murray wouldn't have anything to burn through for his overpriced crap.

Edited by Robviously

Fans are always pessimistic. This trade ruins draft night for me.

Ditto.  They needed to add a goalie at some point I just think they overpaid and did so in a manner that helps a division rival.  

When the "best player" is a .905 save % goalie with concussion problems, you lost the trade.  Especially when you're giving up a first in (supposedly) the best draft since 2003.

Also, with regard to Regier, if he hadn't stockpiled all those assets, Murray wouldn't have anything to burn through for his overpriced crap.

I think we are going to mark you down in the "I don't like this trade" category. 

Unlike most of you, I don't take goaltending for granted.

Lehner is better than last year showed and he will show it.

I'm glad we have acquired a goalie I can believe in.

Edited by dudacek

Are you sure? They've been talking for two weeks.

I think so.  Look at the goalie trade market in recent years.

Also, even we managed to put three goalies on the ice last year who had better save percentages and one about the same as Lehner. 

According to the Hockey News, Ottawa HAD to trade Lehner or Anderson given their $ situation and other goalies in their system.  They also needed to unload a contract like Legwand's.

After characterizing the trade as an "obvious win" for Ottawa, the Hockey News' closing comment:

"But the first-round pick… yikes. Considering how badly the Sens needed to move Lehner, and how much removing Legwand helps their finances, shouldn’t Buffalo have had a bit more leverage here?"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/senators-trade-lehner-legwand-to-sabres-bryan-murray-continues-to-win-the-off-season/

I REALLY hope I am wrong about this trade, but I think we gave up too much given today's goalie market and the leverage we had with Ottawa.

My two cents - Murray the elder won this deal.

My esteem for TM is eroding rapidly.  This is a horrible trade even if Lehner is the next Hasek.  It shows poor understanding of the market and a gross overpayment for a position that we could address in FA.  This is the first instance where I am beginning to see the foundation of the Murray is planning to take the Sens job talk.  Hate this to the point of ruining my Eichel Day.

you cannot possibly be serious with this comment

he mostly likely he is not but if someone offers you a Hasek clone you give up multiple 1st rd picks. The guy won games by himself

All this being said. Love the complete over reaction by the armchair fans. We are stocked with prospects and the #21 pick was used to get us a real starting goaltender. Whine all you want about it but it was a solid move and I'm sure there are more to come

Unlike most of you, I don't take goaltending for granted.

Lehner is better than last year showed and he will show it.

I'm glad we have acquired a goalie I can believe in.

TM acquired Neuvirth, Johnson and Linback.  Beleive in any of them?

Yes.  Look at Montreal.  They convinced themselves they were good enough to win it all riding Price's coattails.  They were exposed.  Hasek did not win Shyte until he had the Wing's HOF club in front of him.  The Hawks on the other hand put the next guy up in and win bc they have the team around him.  I don't value the goalie position as some do.  But further, you help a division rival out of a bind and pay a premium to boot?  Horse####!

I just replied to your post that Hasek isn't worth 21st pick . That statement is ridiculous regardless of this trade.

Edited by nucci

I see Legwand hanging 'me up

Ink's take notwithstanding, his quotes were very much in the "glad to be going to Buffalo" "looking forward to the future" vein.

You make the deal 31 instead of 21 and I'm ok with it.

And GM TM was on record saying he saw no difference between the two picks in terms of value.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Ink's take notwithstanding, his quotes were very much in the "glad to be going to Buffalo" vein.

And GM TM was on record saying he saw no difference between the two picks in terms of value.

I read them more as "glad to be making $3 million for something I'm bad at" than anything else :p

TM acquired Neuvirth, Johnson and Linback.  Beleive in any of them?

I don't think any were acquired to be our number-one goalie.

I also think Lehner was the only goalie available who could become a legitimate number one.

Tim Murray: "If you'd have told me we'd end up w Eichel, Kane and Lehner for 3 first round picks, I'd have said you were high on mushrooms."

I think you are high mushrooms Timmy.

. . . and yet, we gave up more than three first round picks to acquire those guys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.