Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

The entire fan base should be fined for player selection.

On another note, if you're trying to bring a crossbow into the Winter Classic--wait. Someone actually tried to bring a crossbow into the Winter Classic: http://deadspin.com/weapons-seized-outside-winter-classic-at-gillette-stadi-1750680049

Where was he trying to hide all of that? Wait, don't answer that.

So I've been cheating on y'all.

In the absence of Sabres games, I've started to go over to the Coyote's forum and post on their GDTs.  It's surprisingly like rooting for the Sabres.  They got screwed tonight:  Went up 4-1 in the 3rd, the Canucks challenge the goal, and they call it offside.  Next shift, Canucks score to make it 3-2.  The Yotes managed to hang on thanks to some heroics by their young goalie Domingue (who one Coyote fan described as a bit "Hasek-like.")

In the absence of Sabres games, I've started to go over to the Coyote's forum and post on their GDTs.  It's surprisingly like rooting for the Sabres.  They got screwed tonight:  Went up 4-1 in the 3rd, the Canucks challenge the goal, and they call it offside.  Next shift, Canucks score to make it 3-2.  The Yotes managed to hang on thanks to some heroics by their young goalie Domingue (who one Coyote fan described as a bit "Hasek-like.")

That's not getting screwed. If the Coyotes didn't try to cheat, the goal would have counted.

Why the Coyotes?

It started when we were both tanking last year.  I went over there to razz them a bit, especially when we locked down last place.  I'm enjoying watching some of the young teams develop, and for some reason, the Coyotes just kind of seem like the Sabres of the West; not sure how to explain it.  Their fans have the same outlook that we do (oh no, we're getting screwed again!)  It feels like home.

And since the Sabres aren't winning much yet, and the Coyotes are hanging onto a playoff spot for the time being, it's actually fun to pull for a team to win... and they actually win sometimes.  I expect in the not-too-distant future there will be meaningful contests between us and them.

That's not getting screwed. If the Coyotes didn't try to cheat, the goal would have counted.

They didn't try to cheat any more than Ennis or Gionta or Kane did and the Sabres lost a goal on offsides.  When it happened to us, we all agreed we got screwed.  Same here.

Edited by The Big Johnson

It started when we were both tanking last year.  I went over there to razz them a bit, especially when we locked down last place.  I'm enjoying watching some of the young teams develop, and for some reason, the Coyotes just kind of seem like the Sabres of the West; not sure how to explain it.  Their fans have the same outlook that we do (oh no, we're getting screwed again!)  It feels like home.

And since the Sabres aren't winning much yet, and the Coyotes are hanging onto a playoff spot for the time being, it's actually fun to pull for a team to win... and they actually win sometimes.  I expect in the not-too-distant future there will be meaningful contests between us and them.

They didn't try to cheat any more than Ennis or Gionta or Kane did and the Sabres lost a goal on offsides.  When it happened to us, we all agreed we got screwed.  Same here.

I never agreed to that. Every call has been the right one as per the rules. That's not getting screwed.

I will agree that the Coyotes are a pretty fun team to watch though. As soon as McDavid got hurt, they have been one of my go to Western teams to watch late night.

Even if it's the right call, it still feels like we got screwed.

Generally they have been the right calls. The two instances that stick out like screw jobs though are the end of the Chicago game, where there had only been one penalty called the entire game, then the refs decided to call 2 on us at the same time for a 5-on-3, and then another one right after that. It comes down to consistency, and the referees did a complete 180 in a time of need for Chicago. Even if those calls, in a vacuum, were the correct calls, (which is debatable) getting all three against us was bordering on ridiculous. The other instance was the recent non-goalie interference call, where Ullmark was pushed back with a stick rather egregiously. Whether or not he had the puck under him, it was interfering with his ability to make the save. It's goalie interference. I believe it was the Islanders game. And a blatant miss upon review.

Oh well, can't expect to always get the calls.

Edited by Thorny

My man.  (Don't tell Eleven; he'll never believe there are two of us now!)

Edited by biodork

On another note, if you're trying to bring a crossbow into the Winter Classic--wait.  Someone actually tried to bring a crossbow into the Winter Classic:  http://deadspin.com/weapons-seized-outside-winter-classic-at-gillette-stadi-1750680049

I wonder if that is as weird as people bringing their cats to football games recently

As for Scott and the ASG, seems to be the new trend of fans trying to vote in the least likely person to make an ASG, started a few years ago IIRC with Rory Fitzpatrick getting votes when with the Canucks. I work with a guy who's neighbors are Scott's parents

It started when we were both tanking last year.  I went over there to razz them a bit, especially when we locked down last place.  I'm enjoying watching some of the young teams develop, and for some reason, the Coyotes just kind of seem like the Sabres of the West; not sure how to explain it.  Their fans have the same outlook that we do (oh no, we're getting screwed again!)  It feels like home. And since the Sabres aren't winning much yet, and the Coyotes are hanging onto a playoff spot for the time being, it's actually fun to pull for a team to win... and they actually win sometimes.  I expect in the not-too-distant future there will be meaningful contests between us and them.

I think they have a good young team and if they can't get fans to support them now, I don't think they ever will. As long as ownership doesn't pull a Marlins and blow it apart once they get good to rebuild again and keep costs down, they should be able to start building a fan base.