Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, and I know I'll get ###### for it, but I agree. He should've declined. But, this is what the NHL gets, they set themselves up. He didn't ask for it, it was forced upon him, so while I can't blame him for it, he should have declined.

Why should he have declined? To protect the sanctity of the ASG? Bwahahahahaha

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, and I know I'll get ###### for it, but I agree. He should've declined. But, this is what the NHL gets, they set themselves up. He didn't ask for it, it was forced upon him, so while I can't blame him for it, he should have declined. 

Right, he should have declined from the get go and let a guy Shane Doan take part since he has very little time left in the league and he's much more deserving this season.    Most hockey players are bros like that, but not John Scott.    

Yes, the NHL put themselves in this position, but the trade handled it for them... they had an out, but no... god forbid they piss off the fans who want to see John Scott at the all-start game... because there's literally dozens of them... DOZENS!

Why should he have declined? To protect the sanctity of the ASG? Bwahahahahaha

No, not to protect the sanctity of the ASG, that's just dumb.    He should've declined to give a more deserving teammate a chance to go, literally anbody else on his team was more deserving of that spot, but he had to be selfish and take it from a guy like Shane Doan who has given his heart and soul to a hockey town for his entire career, who may be on his final tour of the NHL... would've been a great honor for him to represent the Coyotes at the ASG.    But no, let's give that honor to a big doufus like Scott, way to go NHL... I'm sure his teammates on the Coyotes respect him for that.... loser.

No, not to protect the sanctity of the ASG, that's just dumb. He should've declined to give a more deserving teammate a chance to go, literally anbody else on his team was more deserving of that spot, but he had to be selfish and take it from a guy like Shane Doan who has given his heart and soul to a ###### hockey town for his entire career, who may be on his final tour of the NHL... would've been a great honor for him to represent the Coyotes at the ASG. But no, let's give that honor to a big doufus like Scott, way to go NHL... I'm sure his teammates on the Coyotes respect him for that.... loser.

If "deserving" players are the only ones who belong at the ASG, perhaps someone should tell the fans? Perhaps the NHL should force us to pick from a pre-qualified list?

What is an All-Star, exactly? Is talent the only factor?

The NHL has always loved its heavyweights. It loves to have them in the game. John Scott is as much a part of the NHL brand as any goal scorer. He represents the fighter. He belongs.

No, not to protect the sanctity of the ASG, that's just dumb.    He should've declined to give a more deserving teammate a chance to go, literally anbody else on his team was more deserving of that spot, but he had to be selfish and take it from a guy like Shane Doan who has given his heart and soul to a ###### hockey town for his entire career, who may be on his final tour of the NHL... would've been a great honor for him to represent the Coyotes at the ASG.    But no, let's give that honor to a big doufus like Scott, way to go NHL... I'm sure his teammates on the Coyotes respect him for that.... loser.

He didn't take anything.  He was voted in.  It was given to him.  Why should he give it back?  Hell, there's probably money in it for him.   Hmmmmmm..... anyone wonder if the NHLPA was who convinced the league to change their mind??  

Enforcers in the NHL All Star game - Bob Probert, Dave Manson, Chris Nilan was selected but broke his ankle before the game.   And John Scott will likely be the last.  Congrats, big man.

I will say: It confuses me how and why he decided to accept the designation.

We're I him, I'd have worked something out with the league. Let him go and do some goodwill stuff. Attached a charity to his appearances and photo ops.

The All Star game vote is about as John Scott as it could get.  

He was a mediocre college D-man who was told to pursue the game at a higher level because he was too big not to.  Adopted a role he didn't like because it was what NHL teams wanted him to do.  Chooses to participate in NHL All Star game because fans wanted him to.  

And is probably smarter than half the guys in the league offices.

The only reason the word "probably" is even remotely appropriate is there is no telling if he's suffered debilitating head trauma from the way he earns his keep. It's doubtful, as nobody ever seems tall enough to pop him in the noggin.

The only reason the word "probably" is even remotely appropriate is there is no telling if he's suffered debilitating head trauma from the way he earns his keep. It's doubtful, as nobody ever seems tall enough to pop him in the noggin.

I could jump and maybe punch him.

(He wouldn't give me the opportunity to jump, I know.)

Seriously, if there are here, they're the people who voted him in as a joke.

When he turned around and graciously accepted instead of being offended at the joke (we all remember Rory, right?), that should have been the end of it.  He plays, the game goes on, life goes on.  It's the freaking NHL all-star game.  It's not life and death.

Instead, there may or may not have been some collusion to keep him out.  Shame if there was; he already grinned at one insult.

Good for him that he's playing.

Seriously, if there are ###### here, they're the people who voted him in as a joke.

When he turned around and graciously accepted instead of being offended at the joke (we all remember Rory, right?), that should have been the end of it. He plays, the game goes on, life goes on. It's the freaking NHL all-star game. It's not life and death.

Instead, there may or may not have been some collusion to keep him out. Shame if there was; he already grinned at one insult.

Right. Even if it started as a joke, he took the joke like a man, which earns him some respect points. Then the league decided it was embarrassed, lacking the guts to take the joke in stride like John, and in turn embarrassed itself further.

Sorry NHL. You can't just pretend John Scott doesn't exist. That he's not part of your league. You're embarrassed to admit you want him there. Because you miss the bad old days. So badly that you want to pretend they never existed.

Seriously, if there are ###### here, they're the people who voted him in as a joke.

When he turned around and graciously accepted instead of being offended at the joke (we all remember Rory, right?), that should have been the end of it.  He plays, the game goes on, life goes on.  It's the freaking NHL all-star game.  It's not life and death.

Instead, there may or may not have been some collusion to keep him out.  Shame if there was; he already grinned at one insult.

The truly sad thing is, the pricks that wanted to take their puck & go home rather than let little Johnny play w/ their precious All-Stars are going to get their best ratings in years because they were forced to relent against their will.

So... to protect the sanctity of the ASG?

No. As much as I want the ASG to be meaningful in respect to a player's career, it's foolish to think it is when there is a fan vote. However, among the players it is. Not only that, it also comes with a free vacation, the national spot light, and the prestige of telling everyone you are in fact, an All-Star. Is that prestige something that should be factored into a HOF vote? No. But it's foolish to say it doesn't matter in reality to those around someone who goes. 

That, and him going is not fun for me. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy the ASG, unlike most of you on here. The Skills Competition is a fun event, and I was actually looking forward to the 3-3 OT tournament. No longer

If "deserving" players are the only ones who belong at the ASG, perhaps someone should tell the fans? Perhaps the NHL should force us to pick from a pre-qualified list?

What is an All-Star, exactly? Is talent the only factor?

The NHL has always loved its heavyweights. It loves to have them in the game. John Scott is as much a part of the NHL brand as any goal scorer. He represents the fighter. He belongs.

The NHL should make a pre-qualified list. The fact that they haven't isn't surprising given the fact that it's the same organization with multiple lockouts and one that has let the same team win the lottery 4/6 years and 3 years in a row

Is talent the only factor for an All-Star? Yes, yes it is. I mean, the event has an entire day allocated to a Skill Competition. Talent isn't just pure goal scoring, as ROR and Bergeron will tell you, and it's not just how fast you can skate. Should Scott really be rewarded for being a boxer on skates? Well, in fact he is, with a nice paycheck and a career in hockey. This isn't the House of Representatives where every category gets a portion of representatives based on their value. I don't care if he represents the fighter, he doesn't belong. 

Edited by WildCard

Sorry NHL. You can't just pretend John Scott doesn't exist. That he's not part of your league. You're embarrassed to admit you want him there. Because you miss the bad old days. So badly that you want to pretend they never existed.

Is this really what's happening? The NHL is attempting to bar Scott like some trashy ex-girlfriend from a family party? It's not. So you miss the old days of enforcers, and you know the fans voted him in so there will be higher ratings, but you want to pretend Scott doesn't exist...why? That doesn't make any sense 

The NHL doesn't want him there not because they're ashamed of the presence of enforcers in the league, but because it makes a mockery of the ASG. So, qwk, yes, that's why the NHL doesn't want him to go, but that's not why I don't want him to go.

Edited by WildCard