Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Anybody want to have a little fun as "armchair GM" for the entire league? Try to come up with three trades you think both teams should make that. Try not to include the same players in more than one deal.

Here's my three:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins trade C Evgeni Malkin to the St. Louis Blues for C David Backes and D Kevin Shattenkirk

The money works here as there's only a $250K difference that St. Louis would need to absorb. The big issue here is that Backes is a UFA after this season and Shattenkirk is a UFA after next season. Pittsburgh would likely want to add a contract and/or bring in draft picks on top of this. Shattenkirk can be moved largely due to the emergence of Colon Parayko on their right side defense. Malkin gives the Blues an imposing presence at center that they haven't had since their Hall of Famers retired.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets trade C Ryan Johansen to the Minnesota Wild for C Mikael Granlund and D Jared Spurgeon

Nashville and Seth Jones are the popular match for the Blue Jackets on any Johansen deal. It would make sense, but I just don't think they can deal away Johansen without getting a good center back. Nashville has zero of those to offer. Similar to the deal above they'd need to re-sign both guys within two years, but they are both young enough to be used as building blocks for the future. Minnesota picks up an elite center which they've sorely needed after building from the wings. Spurgeon has been rumored for some time and is expendable due to their depth on D.

3. Carolina Hurricanes trade C Eric Staal to the Nashville Predators for D Ryan Ellis, G prospect Juuse Saros and a conditional 2nd

Staal isn't a true number-one center anymore, but he can fill that role for Nashville for at least the rest of this season. Saros would give Carolina another top goalie prospect which they need as Ward and Lack haven't cut it. Ellis is easily expendable but likely becomes a top-four dman in Carolina for years. The 2nd is conditional on the Predators appearing in the Western Conference Finals and becomes a 3rd if they do not.

Anybody want to have a little fun as "armchair GM" for the entire league? Try to come up with three trades you think both teams should make that. Try not to include the same players in more than one deal.

Here's my three:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins trade C Evgeni Malkin to the St. Louis Blues for C David Backes and D Kevin Shattenkirk

The money works here as there's only a $250K difference that St. Louis would need to absorb. The big issue here is that Backes is a UFA after this season and Shattenkirk is a UFA after next season. Pittsburgh would likely want to add a contract and/or bring in draft picks on top of this. Shattenkirk can be moved largely due to the emergence of Colon Parayko on their right side defense. Malkin gives the Blues an imposing presence at center that they haven't had since their Hall of Famers retired.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets trade C Ryan Johansen to the Minnesota Wild for C Mikael Granlund and D Jared Spurgeon

Nashville and Seth Jones are the popular match for the Blue Jackets on any Johansen deal. It would make sense, but I just don't think they can deal away Johansen without getting a good center back. Nashville has zero of those to offer. Similar to the deal above they'd need to re-sign both guys within two years, but they are both young enough to be used as building blocks for the future. Minnesota picks up an elite center which they've sorely needed after building from the wings. Spurgeon has been rumored for some time and is expendable due to their depth on D.

3. Carolina Hurricanes trade C Eric Staal to the Nashville Predators for D Ryan Ellis, G prospect Juuse Saros and a conditional 2nd

Staal isn't a true number-one center anymore, but he can fill that role for Nashville for at least the rest of this season. Saros would give Carolina another top goalie prospect which they need as Ward and Lack haven't cut it. Ellis is easily expendable but likely becomes a top-four dman in Carolina for years. The 2nd is conditional on the Predators appearing in the Western Conference Finals and becomes a 3rd if they do not.

Not quite knowledgeable enough to do this myself, but this is great stuff!

Listening to WGR on the way to work this morning, the seemingly inevitable Stamkos trade talk was brought up by Howard Simon. Robitaille asked if Simon would want to make that trade, to which he immediately said yes. Robitaille then began naming players, ROR and Risto specifically, that would be almost necessary to include in that deal. Simon, using his infinite hockey wisdom, somehow didn't think those two players would come into play for a trade. So my question is, do the Sabres even have the pieces to make that trade? In my opinion there are 4 untouchables on the team, Jack, Samson, ROR, and Risto. Even with those players on the trade block hypothetically, does anyone actually think GMTM would make a trade for Stamkos? I just don't like what we would have to give up for him, and I don't think GMTM would like it either.

I'm not making a Stamkos trade anymore unless it's an absolute steal and he extends prior to the deal. Steal as in like Zemgus, Ennis, Pysyk and a first. But that won't happen. I'll wait for free agency to see if he's actually interested in being here.

It will be quite interesting to see whether Stamkos is traded and, if so, what the return will be.  In particular:  is a team really going to give up its young jewels AND $12MM+ per year in this situation? 

I would assume that Stamkos, who has a NTC, has a fairly small list of teams that he'd be interested in joining -- i.e. if TB isn't a good enough situation for him, there just aren't that many situations that will be.  And how many of the teams on that short list will have the cash and cap space to satisfy him, AND the desire to spend that cash and cap space on him?  It just doesn't seem like there will be enough finalists to drive the trade auction price to a level where the Risto/ROR - type assets will be included in a trade. 

It's also a very real possibility that he's not interested in being traded, period, and is just going to ride out this season in TB and then go into free agency.

I also wonder them not getting a contract done is more about Tampa or about Stamkos.  Are they not willing to pay him or does he just want to leave?  The answer to that question will play a major role in any trade.

From the way the situation is being handled, especially by Stamkos, it just seems like he doesn't want to be there anymore. It's something I feel like doesn't happen in hockey like other major sports, at least publicly, but I'm sure it happens enough. Liking tweets regarding your own trade rumors doesn't really scream happiness to me.

It's also a very real possibility that he's not interested in being traded, period, and is just going to ride out this season in TB and then go into free agency.

'zactly.

Stamkos has all the power here.

It would be a little odd, though, if he didn't do his original team the favour of allowing them to get something for him before he leaves.

FWIW

Told the #Sabres have reached out to CAL about David Jones and AZ about Boedker. Nothing close/being negotiated, but feelers have been sent

Yes on Boedker.  No thank you to Jones, he's someone you sign on the cheap this offseason.  He's a depth forward.  Boedker finally healthy makes this team immensely better and more skilled.  He finishes and skates very well.  He'd be a great fit in the top 6.  Only 27.   Would they be interested in Ennis?  Hmmm.

Here's my three:

I like the first two, that's a lot for Eric Staal.  Who honestly is a shell of himself. 

Stamkos is going to choose his landing spot.

The Lightning are screwed.  They can trade him as a rental to anyone but unless there is some kind of extension signed the return will be minimal.  If they can find out where he wants to go and make a trade the return is likely to still be minimal because odds are the team he wants already knows he's going to be interested in the off-season, so why give up players? 

If he's interested in the Sabres then they can get him in the off season.  There's no need to trade now or at the deadline for him and give up ANY skill off the roster.

'zactly.

Stamkos has all the power here.

It would be a little odd, though, if he didn't do his original team the favour of allowing them to get something for him before he leaves.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that part about a favor.  If Tampa stays where they are in the standings, shouldn't he want to at least get a shot at the playoffs and a cup that the 2 month rental would give to him?  The only reason I can think of for someone to shoot that down is that they are looking forward to that massive contract and don't want to take on the added risk of playing those extra playoff games.  If that's the case, it sure does raise a bunch of red flags about someone from a purely hockey point of view.

The Lightning are screwed.  They can trade him as a rental to anyone but unless there is some kind of extension signed the return will be minimal.  If they can find out where he wants to go and make a trade the return is likely to still be minimal because odds are the team he wants already knows he's going to be interested in the off-season, so why give up players? 

If he's interested in the Sabres then they can get him in the off season.  There's no need to trade now or at the deadline for him and give up ANY skill off the roster.

Well, the bolded isn't really the case as he has a NTC, so he can veto any trade.

As for getting him in the offseason:  this is possible, but not definite.  It seems likely that anyone who trades for him will have at least the inside track on signing him to an extension, and there is a good likelihood that a trade will include a pre-wired extension -- so he wouldn't make it to July 1.

I think he's going to the leafs but I'd take a run at him in the offseason as it appears like he may very well hit the open market.  Only problem is that he may want to go back to being a center. If he was fine staying on the wing, a top 6 of ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, Ennis and Stamkos is pretty friggen awesome.

Stamkos isn't a rental player. Contenders aren't going to mix up their lineup by that much. Even addin Stamkos completely throws off the make-up of an already successful team, let alone what they'd be getting rid of to get him

If he makes it clear that he wants to leave and Tampa decides to move him near the deadline, there's a very good chance that someone takes him on as a rental.  Tampa will not let him walk for nothing, especially if it looks like they're missing the playoffs.  We can come up with a long list of similar trades over the years (Forsberg to Nashville, Hossa to Pittsburgh, Gretzky to St. Louis, etc...).  The price is going to drop if it goes right down to the line.  It'll still be steep, but if you were a team believed to be on the verge of a cup, wouldn't you at least consider rolling the dice on a run at the whole thing?

This is going to end like the Melo saga did. He's going to put it out there that he wants to go home (kind of already has) but the Leafs are going to wait too long and some other team will come in and drive up the price (like the Nets did) to get Stamkos which will to Toronto giving up more than they should have to get a guy they could've got in free agency.

If he makes it clear that he wants to leave and Tampa decides to move him near the deadline, there's a very good chance that someone takes him on as a rental. Tampa will not let him walk for nothing, especially if it looks like they're missing the playoffs. We can come up with a long list of similar trades over the years (Forsberg to Nashville, Hossa to Pittsburgh, Gretzky to St. Louis, etc...). The price is going to drop if it goes right down to the line. It'll still be steep, but if you were a team believed to be on the verge of a cup, wouldn't you at least consider rolling the dice on a run at the whole thing?

Some team will probably do it, but to me it'd be a terrible move, even if you got him for cheap. He's not good in te playoffs, and trying to develop chemistry over a 2 moth long period isn't going to work

If I'm Yzerman and Stamkos ends up controlling the process to the point I have to sell him for pennies on the dollar, I say screw it, keep him, and hope to make another run at a Cup. I know Tampa has been playing poorly, but I think they have too much talent to not pick up steam, and the East remains very winnable.

It all comes down to what they can get for him, innit?.  What if it's a #1 pick and a good prospect?  That would undoubtedly be pennies on the dollar if he were under contract, but in this situation, the return can only be measured relative to either (i) getting zero or (ii) getting him for one last playoff run when everyone knows he has one foot out the door. 

I think if that's the return, they probably have to make the trade.

It all comes down to what they can get for him, innit?. What if it's a #1 pick and a good prospect? That would undoubtedly be pennies on the dollar if he were under contract, but in this situation, the return can only be measured relative to either (i) getting zero or (ii) getting him for one last playoff run when everyone knows he has one foot out the door.

I think if that's the return, they probably have to make the trade.

I expect him to make the trade, and it's 100% defensible and in all probability the right move. But what if he doesn't, the team comes together on a run to the Cup, and it convinced Stamkos to stay? Now I wouldn't bet on that outcome, but if the return is a late 1st and Larsson-esque prospect, I might just he willing to risk it.

Not that Yzerman should think about this like a fan, but I think nearly all of us would trade a 1st and Baptiste for a realistic Cup chase. I think it all comes down to how the team is playing as the deadline approaches. If they look poised to make a run I can see Yzerman rolling the dice (again, wouldn't bet on it).

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This pure speculation, other than last summer's tire icking, but you can bet GMTM will kick the tires again and you can bet Stamkos will have some interest — location, facility, and ownership reputation are all things that work in our favour now.

Hockey Heaven anyone?

I know we're about to be under a roster freeze, but I think GMTM should take this time off to get an idea what it's going to take to get some of the left-handed dmen in the league.

Mattias Ekholm probably doesn't get moved from Nashville unless you're sending them a legitimate top-six center which I don't think we have one to dangle.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic would be a definite target for me. He's under contract for two more years and is only 28. The Sharks are going to shake up their forward group soon with Thornton and Marleau aging/possibly wanting out. I wonder if they'd do Ennis, Foligno and a prospect/pick for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.