Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I wish. He is another rhd though. I originally thought there was no way the Avs would let him walk, but with Duchene potentially being traded and that staff being incompetent, Barrie might not want to resign

Our obvious need is for a left-handed defenseman. Garth had some nice speculation in his latest blog: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Pegged/6/72499

We obviously could use a first-pairing LD, but I wonder how much McCabes play has lessened the need to add another NHLer

Edited by dudacek

We obviously could use a first-pairing LD, but I wonder how much McCabes play has lessened the need to add another NHLer

If I'm not mistaken, we have Risto, Bogo, Franson, and Pysyk on the right side and Gorges, McCabe, Weber, and Colaiacovo on the left side.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Gorges - certainly not as a "top pairing" guy - and McCabe has played well but IMHO still has a long way to go on the defensive end.  Cola never stays healthy more than a couple of months.  Adding a "top-4" left sided guy would help this team a ton, I think...

I think Weber and Colaiacovo are OK 6/7s, Franson and Gorges are good NHL 4/5s, and Bogo a solid 2/3.

It's the kids that are the wild cards.

If Risto can be a one and McCabe (or Pysyk) a legitimate second pairing guy, we've all of a sudden got a good defence.

Those are still questions, but the answers look more positive than they did two months ago.

I think Weber and Colaiacovo are OK 6/7s, Franson and Gorges are good NHL 4/5s, and Bogo a solid 2/3.

It's the kids that are the wild cards.

If Risto can be a one and McCabe (or Pysyk) a legitimate second pairing guy, we've all of a sudden got a good defence.

Those are still questions, but the answers look more positive than they did two months ago.

Agreed. The practice D lines looked pretty decent today, and Pysyk wasn't even a regular in the 3 pairs, he was listed as the 7th. If you can have Pysyk listed as the 7th and still feel okay about the D...it's looking a lot better so far than I thought it would.

Not sure if this means anything but,

@MikeStrawWrites: #Ducks GM Bob Murray and #Coyotes GM Don Maloney are here for #Sabres vs. #Stars

There have been a ton of teams scouting the Stars for their d-men, I would be surprised if anyone is here for someone we have out there.

Our obvious need is for a left-handed defenseman.  Garth had some nice speculation in his latest blog: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Pegged/6/72499

I don't care what hand he is.   The style this team plays is north and south, high speed, win puck races, D joins the offense on the attack.    I'm sorry but Gorges, Weber, and Franson simply are not fast enough for this style of play.    Watch how often the opposing team dumps a puck into any of those 3 players corner and then easily wins the foot race to the puck.    It's a big sore spot.   Barrie is lightning on skates and offensively aggressive, he's a perfect defenseman for this system.

There have been a ton of teams scouting the Stars for their d-men, I would be surprised if anyone is here for someone we have out there.

That was my thought as well, but there is this tidbit

@JoeYerdon: Not sure honestly. I'm not a rumor guy, but Ducks have had high-up people in Buffalo pretty regularly this season. https://t.co/MuvalOacqS

That was my thought as well, but there is this tidbit

@JoeYerdon: Not sure honestly. I'm not a rumor guy, but Ducks have had high-up people in Buffalo pretty regularly this season. https://t.co/MuvalOacqS

Hmmmm I like it, it's exciting if nothing else. The Ducks want to win now, and we need LHD they have. My only problem is, who else could they possibly want besides Tyler Ennis? Maybe Moulson? Larsson?

Edited by WildCard

I don't care what hand he is.   The style this team plays is north and south, high speed, win puck races, D joins the offense on the attack.    I'm sorry but Gorges, Weber, and Franson simply are not fast enough for this style of play.    Watch how often the opposing team dumps a puck into any of those 3 players corner and then easily wins the foot race to the puck.    It's a big sore spot.   Barrie is lightning on skates and offensively aggressive, he's a perfect defenseman for this system.

This is where I'm at too.  You need fast puck movers on the backend to play Blysma's system (which to my eye seems similar to Peter Laviolette's system here in Nashville).

The "Murray wants a speedy left-handed defenseman" rumor has been around long enough that it probably has merit.  The two names that Garth keeps throwing out are Cam Fowler and Toby Enstrom.  Either would be fine by me, but would cost us a scoring forward (e.g., Ennis) and maybe one of our "lesser" defensemen.

OEL to Buffalo for Colaiacovo and Leduc (e4)

Realistically, what would it take to get OEL? 

He certainly fits our needs.

Pysyk and Ennis is a reasonable starting point, value wise.

I have no idea what Anaheim is looking for.

I'll keep Ennis and Pysyk over Fowler. 

This is where I'm at too.  You need fast puck movers on the backend to play Blysma's system (which to my eye seems similar to Peter Laviolette's system here in Nashville).

The "Murray wants a speedy left-handed defenseman" rumor has been around long enough that it probably has merit.  The two names that Garth keeps throwing out are Cam Fowler and Toby Enstrom.  Either would be fine by me, but would cost us a scoring forward (e.g., Ennis) and maybe one of our "lesser" defensemen.

I've always thought that to win consistently in the playoffs you need to have one no-doubt-about-it shutdown pairing and solid defense top 4. I'd be willing to send some forwards in order to get Cam Fowler, and given my proclivity to larger two way forwards Ennis wouldn't hurt as much to me as it may others. (ignoring Ennis' current doghouse status around here)

that gives you RHD Risto, RHD Bogo, and LHD Fowler to build a top 4 around. :thumbsup:

If I had to choose Fowler because he is younger, but might be able to give up less for Endstrom, Sabres still need scoring so I wouldnt give up high end draft pick for either. Giving up Psyk and say Weber along with Enis might work but not sure, offense is still a work in progress, is it clear yet who is odd man out? Not to me.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.