Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I don't know about this.  If you're trading Reinhart for an established, top 2 dman then I'm not sure how this would set back the development of the team.  Reinhart and Eichel are buddies and that's great.  Eichel is also buddies with McGinn who is likely gone next week.  He will find another friend.  I don't believe Eich is so emotionally fragile that it would negatively effect him if Reinhart was moved for D help. 

Edit - Moving Reinhart is only predicated on the assumption we somehow get the #1 pick and take Mathews.  Which is obviously very unlikely.

I hope BUF doesn't end up with Matthews.   He's going to be a very good player, but IMO will fall well short of expectations, especially come playoff time.    I'd rather have Reinhart in the stable for a Cup run... he has the intangibles.

He has?

Pretty sure they've been on a bunch of US and travel teams together.

Though what does get me with Eichel is his quotes about Reinhart. Paraphrasing, he says they've talked about living together next year, how close they've become, and for some reason, Eichel has just recently (probably since the winter break) started having fun when he comes to the rink

Eschewing Reinhart for Matthews kicks the can down the road another two years, and that's all it does.

Well, this assumes that they are roughly equivalent players, innit?

In any case I think this argument is 100% academic -- no one, including the Sabres, who wins the lottery is going to trade the #1 pick.

Well, this assumes that they are roughly equivalent players, innit?

In any case I think this argument is 100% academic -- no one, including the Sabres, who wins the lottery is going to trade the #1 pick.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. We really don't need another center, we might as well at least trade down

Eschewing Reinhart for Matthews kicks the can down the road another two years, and that's all it does.

How so? Because Reinhart is 2 years older? You get a top winger/d-man for Reinhart, and Matthews is easily the better prospect.

A season without a shot at the playoffs isn't a busted season.  You aren't going to go from 27th to playoffs in one jump.  Most liekly there is going to be a season of 20ish in there.  Teams just don't normally go from awful to in the hunt over an offseason.  If we jettison players every year that top 16 isn't likely, we're preventing ourselves from having that transition season.  Until ROR went down, I saw no reason why this couldn't have been our transition season.

I guess I don't see a reason why it still can't be. Sure, we're more likely to end up in the basement now than at this time last week, but it still has the composition of a transition season to the point that I don't think the finish in the standings is reflective of the progress made. Our franchise cornerstones have all been getting meaningful experience in key roles--Risto as clear cut #1D, Eichel scoring center, Reinhart 1st line, ROR all-situations #1C, Larsson shutdown #3C.

It's not like these guys are going to be thrust into new and unfamiliar roles they have to adapt to next season. We're still likely to see around a 20 point improvement. What else do you need out of a transition season? If we improve by as much next season as we did from last year to this year, we're a low-90s point team and right in the thick of a playoff hunt. 

Let the optimism flow through you!!! :)

WildCard, on 22 Feb 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:

Pretty sure they've been on a bunch of US and travel teams together.

Though what does get me with Eichel is his quotes about Reinhart. Paraphrasing, he says they've talked about living together next year, how close they've become, and for some reason, Eichel has just recently (probably since the winter break) started having fun when he comes to the rink

That's the stuff that I'm talking about.  Well, that added to the other interviews and other data we have on him.  He seems like a social creature.  I bet he doesn't concern himself with the money, because he knows the money will always be there.  He has a mouth, if you've ever watched the mic'd up stuff with him; the more he can be "with his boys", the more comfortable he is.  Give him a bud who he's tight with to grow and compete with.  I think that is critical to his development right now.  Let him deal with the hard truths of the league when he's older and wiser.  Reinhart has done nothing to deserve being traded away - if he had Moulson's overhead, okay, I think that would be easy to process for him, but Reinhart?  Totally different story.  This is team-building, you have to consider everything.  It's not like we're talking about a career 4th liner.

That's the stuff that I'm talking about.  Well, that added to the other interviews and other data we have on him.  He seems like a social creature.  I bet he doesn't concern himself with the money, because he knows the money will always be there.  He has a mouth, if you've ever watched the mic'd up stuff with him; the more he can be "with his boys", the more comfortable he is.  Give him a bud who he's tight with to grow and compete with.  I think that is critical to his development right now.  Let him deal with the hard truths of the league when he's older and wiser.  Reinhart has done nothing to deserve being traded away - if he had Moulson's overhead, okay, I think that would be easy to process for him, but Reinhart?  Totally different story.  This is team-building, you have to consider everything.  It's not like we're talking about a career 4th liner.

You should really watch this then. How sad Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane get after the loss is kinda nuts. They all look close to tears https://www.nhl.com/video/episode-7-parents-trip/t-277350912/c-41427503

Edited by WildCard

I guess I don't see a reason why it still can't be. Sure, we're more likely to end up in the basement now than at this time last week, but it still has the composition of a transition season to the point that I don't think the finish in the standings is reflective of the progress made. Our franchise cornerstones have all been getting meaningful experience in key roles--Risto as clear cut #1D, Eichel scoring center, Reinhart 1st line, ROR all-situations #1C, Larsson shutdown #3C.

It's not like these guys are going to be thrust into new and unfamiliar roles they have to adapt to next season. We're still likely to see around a 20 point improvement. What else do you need out of a transition season? If we improve by as much next season as we did from last year to this year, we're a low-90s point team and right in the thick of a playoff hunt. 

Let the optimism flow through you!!! :)

Not quite the context I was going for.  I agree that even with ROR down this could be our transition season.  For that to happen, IMO, we wouldn't be outright sellers at the deadline (other than obvious junk that wasn't part of the plan anyway).  I'm not sure what GMTM's plans are, but the convo here is working with the pretext that the season is "lost" so lets sell off.  Moving 5-7 guys and bringing in 5-7 different guys in the offseason is a pretty big jolt to the system and IMO upsets the team enough to prevent that real transition from rebuilding to gaining traction. 

And I am on the train with PA regarding comparisons to last season.  We shouldn't being using last season as a benchmark for anything.  That was a year designed to be historically bad.  Better than historically bad is a who cares concept.

Edited by We've

Here's an example. Let's say the Sabs win the lottery and Arizona is 6th or something. Eager to have their local boy as the face of the franchise, and positively desperate to sell tickets, Arizona offers OEL and that 6th for Buffalo's 1st. Gotta do it, right? And I don't think it's unreasonable from either side.

I do that. Then I buy an OEL jersey and wear nothing but the OEL jersey to work. My boss tries to fire me but then realizes I deserve another raise.

You should really watch this then. How sad Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane get after the loss is kinda nuts. They all look close to tears https://www.nhl.com/video/episode-7-parents-trip/t-277350912/c-41427503

I really enjoyed that piece. I am a huge Bills fan, but more and more I find I really LIKE the Sabre players more. Sure, they're in the bottom 5. But they are entertaining, and I expect an exponential improvement going forward. It's an easy team to root for. 

We know we wont win the lottery and I'm fine with that. Especially if it means we could draft a Tkachuk or a Chychrun that fit our needs and both of whom by the way will likely be in the NHL right away. Adding one of them would be icing on the cake and push the team back into the playoffs next year. I think Tkachuk is going to be a dominant player.

Drunkard, thank you for clarifying your position.

Some brief reading here

https://www.nhl.com/news/tkachuk-tops-north-american-list-for-2016-nhl-draft/c-798054

We know we wont win the lottery and I'm fine with that. Especially if it means we could draft a Tkachuk or a Chychrun that fit our needs and both of whom by the way will likely be in the NHL right away. Adding one of them would be icing on the cake and push the team back into the playoffs next year. I think Tkachuk is going to be a dominant player.

Drunkard, thank you for clarifying your position.

Some brief reading here

https://www.nhl.com/news/tkachuk-tops-north-american-list-for-2016-nhl-draft/c-798054

...and add a healthy Lehner for a full season, and Ennis possibly back to being Ennis.... should be much improved.     Moulson tho.

That's the stuff that I'm talking about. Well, that added to the other interviews and other data we have on him. He seems like a social creature. I bet he doesn't concern himself with the money, because he knows the money will always be there. He has a mouth, if you've ever watched the mic'd up stuff with him; the more he can be "with his boys", the more comfortable he is. Give him a bud who he's tight with to grow and compete with. I think that is critical to his development right now. Let him deal with the hard truths of the league when he's older and wiser. Reinhart has done nothing to deserve being traded away - if he had Moulson's overhead, okay, I think that would be easy to process for him, but Reinhart? Totally different story. This is team-building, you have to consider everything. It's not like we're talking about a career 4th liner.

Great post. Whatever your expectations, whatever the results, we are building something here.

And part of that is identifying core guys and getting them to grow together.

It's why I'm not interesting in trading Bogo or Kane or Lehner or O'Reilly anytime soon either, at least until the room decides it's alright.

Edited by dudacek

Am I the only one who would prefer we don't have Ennis next season?

No. But with his value where it is right now a deadline deal next year may be better or even maybe more likely a 2017 draft day deal pending development of everyone.

Great post. Whatever your expectations, whatever the results, we are building something here.

And part of that is identifying core guys and getting them to grow together.

It's why I'm not interesting in trading Bogo or Kane or Lehner or O'Reilly anytime soon either, at least until the room decides it's alright.

It's really interesting that you leave McGinn off that list, considering his friendship with ROR and Jack is well documented

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.