WildCard

Great game.

Feathered, toed, punched, pitched, pitchforked, connects, shoveled, spiked, shoved, jabbed, flipped, knifed, stashed, ripped, fired,…

Doesn't any just pass it anymore?

I've been watching a lot of hockey on NBC. What is this word you speak of? Pass? It seems interesting.

And we now have a series!!! Guaranteed to go at least 6. Hoping Chicago pulls it off. Mainly because if Tampa were to win 2 Cups before the Sabre win 1, I'll throw up.

It had the stars and stripes as well as the eagle. He mentioned Eichels gift to him ( U.S. Hockey t-shirt ) and the fact that he does in fact support U.S. hockey. I suppose that remains to be seen but he mentioned his American wife and 2 offspring who were born stateside.

Thanks!

I highly recommend his autobiography if you haven't read it. 

Derek Sanderson: Crossing the Line, The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

Yes!  Saw the whole thing and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I love that sort of vintage glimpse into the old NHL.

There is a documentary on youtube about the "Broadstreet Bullies" that has a similar feel to it.  That's good stuff too.

Cool, it'll give me something to watch tomorrow.

Sorry JJ, knew you where in Florida and I didn't look at your signature, should have remembered your previous avatar as you took enough abuse for it.

It's Neo and Sick that are in the Tampa area.

It's all good. SoFL and the rest of FL are two totally different countries. With both the Sabres and Panthers on their way up I'd love to have a playoff game between the two teams down here in the very near future if I'm still here.

It is an incredible series to watch.  Of course I lost power last night for most of the game, so that sucked.

The NHL needs to stream all games next year.  It just has to be done.  There is no reason anymore to not do it.  

It is an incredible series to watch.  Of course I lost power last night for most of the game, so that sucked.

The NHL needs to stream all games next year.  It just has to be done.  There is no reason anymore to not do it.  

TV Contracts. 

It is. Who the heck doesn't have "cable" anymore?

Sorry, Dork

The Hawks part I get, but I don't buy into the west thing.

Ditched cable forever ago.  Hockeystreams.com is the thing.

Not sure why Chicago insists on clearing the puck through their own slot. It's led to three direct turnovers and great opportunities for Tampa

It's what happens when a team is coached by a mini-mind whom everyone thinks is a mastermind once he gets an all-star team.

Ditched cable forever ago. Hockeystreams.com is the thing.

It's what happens when a team is coached by a mini-mind whom everyone thinks is a mastermind once he gets an all-star team.

How do you have time to watch the games at all? I figured all of your free time would be organizing efforts to prevent 198 from being turned into a parkway :p

I'm not sure it was his plan or they just kept trying to be cute with the puck, but it blew my mind.

Interesting take on Coach Q, never heard that before. 

Ditched cable forever ago.  Hockeystreams.com is the thing.

They're not accepting new registrations. I did request an invite.  You can't see billing details as a non-member, so...how much does it cost?

TV Contracts. 

I don't buy it.  Here's why..

Streaming is another delivery mechanism.  It does NOTHING to change who own the rights to broadcast the game.  NBC pays to have the right to broadcast the game and slap their logo all over it.  The same logo I see in any stream on any device I would watch the game on.

Viewership is easily counted as the number of connected streams who are logged in and receiving the data.  All along this has actually been a much more reliable statistic for driving the almighty viewership data.  The set top boxes of old would never report back when they were tuned to a certain channel.  The smarter boxes today at least report back when a box is on and what channel is being tuned.  So if nothing else the broadcaster still has that information.

The only remaining problem are the content delivery providers (aka TWC, DirecTV).  They have to be the ones to block the streaming rights of the content producers because delivery over a competing mechanism is bad for business. At the same time those companies are already retooled to take on the streaming market. They are merely holding onto as much revenue as they can because the NHL hasn't put its foot down.

It needs to do this and at that point the model is broken.  Some people will continue to find value in a full blown TV subscription and will continue to have DirecTV or cable.  Those who won't will have gone to a pure streaming model. They key is viewership and right now the amount of viewers will be going down as people drop their expensive TV subscriptions.

So I get what you are saying.. but if I am operating the NHL I am all in on streaming the games, all of them, to anyone, anywhere.  If you want to be the one granted rights to put cameras in the arena you have to agree to this and if DirecTV wants to hold out on it.. so be it.

I don't buy it. Here's why..

Streaming is another delivery mechanism. It does NOTHING to change who own the rights to broadcast the game. NBC pays to have the right to broadcast the game and slap their logo all over it. The same logo I see in any stream on any device I would watch the game on.

Viewership is easily counted as the number of connected streams who are logged in and receiving the data. All along this has actually been a much more reliable statistic for driving the almighty viewership data. The set top boxes of old would never report back when they were tuned to a certain channel. The smarter boxes today at least report back when a box is on and what channel is being tuned. So if nothing else the broadcaster still has that information.

The only remaining problem are the content delivery providers (aka TWC, DirecTV). They have to be the ones to block the streaming rights of the content producers because delivery over a competing mechanism is bad for business. At the same time those companies are already retooled to take on the streaming market. They are merely holding onto as much revenue as they can because the NHL hasn't put its foot down.

It needs to do this and at that point the model is broken. Some people will continue to find value in a full blown TV subscription and will continue to have DirecTV or cable. Those who won't will have gone to a pure streaming model. They key is viewership and right now the amount of viewers will be going down as people drop their expensive TV subscriptions.

So I get what you are saying.. but if I am operating the NHL I am all in on streaming the games, all of them, to anyone, anywhere. If you want to be the one granted rights to put cameras in the arena you have to agree to this and if DirecTV wants to hold out on it.. so be it.

Shoot, I pay for Time Warner which lets me watch live tv on my laptop though their online portal, but if I'm in Buffalo instead of Rochester where I pay for the service I can't watch a hockey game that I'm paying for because I've left my zip code. How stupid is that? So even though I'm paying money for a broadcast in a broadcast area where the game is available anyway, I can't watch it.

So I have to go to an illegal stream to watch something I already pay for access to.

They're not accepting new registrations. I did request an invite.  You can't see billing details as a non-member, so...how much does it cost?

IIRC it's $110 per year.  Compare to $110 per month for cable.

You do have to request.  Give it a couple of days; if they haven't gotten back to you, request again.  It took me three tries over the course of a month, but man, it's worth it.

Shoot, I pay for Time Warner which lets me watch live tv on my laptop though their online portal, but if I'm in Buffalo instead of Rochester where I pay for the service I can't watch a hockey game that I'm paying for because I've left my zip code. How stupid is that? So even though I'm paying money for a broadcast in a broadcast area where the game is available anyway, I can't watch it.

So I have to go to an illegal stream to watch something I already pay for access to.

That I almost understand because Time Warner Cable only has broadcast rights in certain areas.  So they can't allow customers outside of the geographic region to stream it.  The idea that TWC is in both Rochester and Buffalo should negate that but I can understand that they wouldn't allow it.  I don't agree with it.

Bottom line.. the NHL and any other content creator needs as many as eyeballs as possible and all of these restrictions cause a huge problem.  The cable companies have adapted already and will continue to drive up Internet revenues to compensate for lost subscribers in the TV realms.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.